Losing the will to djent!

• Thread starter Koloss
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

celticelk

Reaction score
I feel I should probably ask permission first off incase I get flamed to the SS.org fiery gates of doom :lol: but can I post a link to Soundcloud in this thread?

Just so I can give you guys a sample of the tone i'm getting at the moment..

Absolutely.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
I feel I should probably ask permission first off incase I get flamed to the SS.org fiery gates of doom :lol: but can I post a link to Soundcloud in this thread?

Just so I can give you guys a sample of the tone i'm getting at the moment..

And perhaps play some obvious stuff with the low B and then the low F# so we can hopefully try and figure out if it's a setup thing, EQ thing, etc.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
That was absolutely hilarious.
serious-cat-is-not-amused-big.jpg

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Have you tried your current tone in a band setting? We do mostly drop C# but when we play "Duality" on the 7's, the band sounds like an earthquake during a the "djenty" part. Doesn't sound great at home, but with the band its absolutely BALLS.

Koloss

Reaction score
Well, all cat photo's aside here's a link. (Please don't burn me too much, nothing here is mixed or mastered. Also they're all just random riffs.)

The first two are with the 8 https://soundcloud.com/lordvega

i-iz-hulk

Reaction score
Well, all cat photo's aside here's a link. (Please don't burn me too much, nothing here is mixed or mastered. Also they're all just random riffs.)

The first two are with the 8 https://soundcloud.com/lordvega

Sounds 10 times better than most of the stuff posted here. Wish I could record again... there's always a maximum distortion on my recordings caused by the drivers -.-

hand amputation

Reaction score
Sounds pretty damned good to me. 'Regression' is sweet!

Mind if I ask how you got that drum sound?

Koloss

Reaction score
:cool: Well, i'm pleasantly surprised with the feedback! Thanks! :hbang:

Maybe i'm just uber fussy and i'm not hearing the tone that I have in my head?

Sounds pretty damned good to me. 'Regression' is sweet!

Mind if I ask how you got that drum sound?

Thanks a lot man!

Of course, Sir! It's all S2.0 using the Avatar kit then multi output. Compression, verb on the snare, EQ'd a bit but nothing too drastic. Like I say, it's not actually mixed properly. Just good enough to record a rough demo IMO :yesway:

80H

Banned
Reaction score
Literally getting called a djent hipster, Californ
how close to the bridge are you picking? can get a little less body and a little more clarity closer to the bridge if you're worried about too much mud...that's what happens when you got 2-3 little fatass strings ringin their hearts out

edit: listened to the clip, not bad. i hear what you mean about the fuzz. what size picks are you using (mm)? I pretty much exclusively use 4+ mm picks now because they have so much more attack, but they're not for everybody so that might be a problem.

i would keep tweaking my tone. it usually takes me 6-8 months to fully "meet" a guitar, and what you have to understand is that, regardless of pickups, your guitar is going to have subtle strengths and not-so-subtle weaknesses in its tone...it's all about you+the guitar and not just you. it's the mind/instrument conflict that happens in pretty much any field that requires the use of an instrument, be it video games, martial arts of music

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
:cool: Well, i'm pleasantly surprised with the feedback! Thanks! :hbang:

Maybe i'm just uber fussy and i'm not hearing the tone that I have in my head?

Thanks a lot man!

Of course, Sir! It's all S2.0 using the Avatar kit then multi output. Compression, verb on the snare, EQ'd a bit but nothing too drastic. Like I say, it's not actually mixed properly. Just good enough to record a rough demo IMO :yesway:

Honestly, those sounded great :lol: :yesway: I can kinda see with the second clip, it's a bit on the warmer side, but that seems like it could be the way it's sitting in the mix. The first one just sounded awesome.

UV7BK4LIFE

Schecter A7 addict
Reaction score
buried beneath mud

Aaaaand we have a new name for a metalcore band! :lol:

Back on topic: When I got my RGA 8, I did a pickup swap (D'activator 8), got me a noise gate/parametric EQ/overdrive pedal/compressor in the signal chain, had all the settings right and still it sounded not exactly like the famous Djent bands.

When I get home I'll check the soundclips.

And what VBcheesegrater said, some guitar tones sound great when you play loud with a band but are not suitable for playing at home. I had to learn to live with the disappointing lack of balls of a practice setup.

Koloss

Reaction score
Which impulses are you using?

I'm currently using the Redwirez BIGbox series. To be more specific, i'm currently experimenting within the Modern classics folder.

At the moment I believe i'm using the Mesa w/V30's using the SM57.

Honestly, those sounded great :lol: :yesway: I can kinda see with the second clip, it's a bit on the warmer side, but that seems like it could be the way it's sitting in the mix. The first one just sounded awesome.

Thanks a lot man! :yesway: I guess we're all our own worst critic! :lol:

Reaction score
I'm gonna be on the 18v mod them puppies bandwagon as I did it to mine, and it saved me 100's$$. It's super cheap, and don't worry if you can't solder, you can tape it until a friend can do it for you. Here is what you need: 3 9v saddles with tails(that's wires yo) 2 9v batteries, a screw driver, solder + iron or electrical tape(if you can't solder), beer.
Really all of that is optional except the beer part...

Ok, so figure out where the second battery can rest and then, install the three saddles so the red wire hits the black on the next one until they form a triangle. then link one of them to the existing battery saddle, the other two to the 9vs, screw up those cavities and bam... done. Now for a diagram to show it to you that I under no circumstances own or am affiliated with:
images

Don't like it? Worst youre out is under 20$ and a couple of minutes...

Koloss

Reaction score
images

Don't like it? Worst youre out is under 20$ and a couple of minutes...

I think I might have to give this a try since it's a very inexpensive mod that could possibly yield results!

Also, like you said there isn't much to lose if it doesn't do the trick! Thanks for the diagram dude :yesway:

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Jeez. There's so much bullshit in here passing as actual information.

Anyway, before you go spending a bunch of money doing a bunch of mods on the guitar, I'd suggest going with a bigger gauge on the F#. I use a .074 on my F#, that's on a 27" scale guitar, and I wouldn't even consider going smaller than that on mine.

Next, has your playing style changed to compensate for the 8? You've already mentioned your picking, but are you doing more single string stuff with the F#, or are you still playing it like a 6 or 7, doing big chords and such?

After taking a look at that string and your technique, THEN and only then, would I look into a pickup swap. Not because I wouldn't recommend it (the 808 is, by all accounts, not that great), but because the 808 should not be so bad that it wouldn't get you in the range of sounding the way you want. So, you should address the cheaper stuff first.

')