Losing the will to djent!

• Thread starter Koloss
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
Meh, most of the users in the thread have been super helpful, not really any BS. The 18v mod is super easy and tbh costs about as much as a complete new set of strings for an 8 (however, I agree getting thicker string gauges would probably help a heck of a lot too).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

isispelican

Reaction score
active pickups are horrible imo but you can get a decent tone with any kind of gear, it just takes a lot of time dialing in the right sounds and dont forget that the most important part is your technique

Guamskyy

Hwat you call me?
Reaction score
IF it's more attack and bite you want, try lower gauge strings. I use a .76 for my low E, nice balance of tension and slack for me to really dig in when playing, .80 for me is too much for a low E on a 27" scale, maybe if I was going to tune to to D# would I consider such tension.

Pickup height can be one also, but the tone is all in how you play, how well you can play, and show all the dynamics you can put in while you play.

xxvicarious

Reaction score
The EQ setting on my peavey are: Pre(Gain): between 5 & 6; Low: 9; Mid: 4; High: between 7 & 8, Resonance: 6; Presence: between 4 & 5

:ugh:

Hahaha dang Travis, that's insane.
Then again, all your axes are running active p/u's.
And all mine are passive on damn near the same rig.

OP: It's all in EQ. If you want to djent your face off, mids and highs up,
lows down, gain up. Get an MXR 10 band EQ and mess around with it.

JP7

Laughs and Shreds
Reaction score
Remember keep your bass low too. A lot of those bands to a lot of freq shelving when they make those cd's. Even with the 8 string guitar it's a lot of overtone and very little fundemental. That being said I was not too happy with that guitar when I had one either or those pickups for that matter. Maybe something a little lower output and more clear.

yellow

Banned
Reaction score
If pickups are part of your mod plan, then know that the best pickups in the world are about to hit the market: EMG 81-8/85-8. Get those, unless you don't want actives, but from what your saying, if you want the ultimate in 8 string pickups for high gain, clarity, and METAL, EMG is #1.

(and I urge you to pay no attention to any of the trolling flame anti-emg clowns that say otherwise cuz youll find a lot of them on this site)

Reaction score
Is this not the same EMG fanboi post in like EVERY ERG pup discussion? ^^^^

I think you're barking up the wrong tree, most ppl on here are WAYYYY over EMGs at this point... :noway:

I'm with most of the masses, stuck deciding on: BKP vs. new SD's vs. Lace (seems like Lundgren M8 has fallen out of favor a bit, same with D8's).

HUGH JAYNUS

I’m a grown ass man
Reaction score
I can help with the Meshuggah/Vildjharta tone

First of raise your bridge pickup super high, get new strings (tight tension would be the best), and do the 18v mod on the emg's

Treble is your friend, what ever amp you use, set your drive up high, but not al the way, you want to chugga not fuzz out
Boost the hell out of your mids and treble, but don't use much bass. If you have acces, add a tube screamed, compressor, and eq to your chain

what he said, but also remove the tone pot. treble boost like a mofo

Reaction score
Is this not the same EMG fanboi post in like EVERY ERG pup discussion? ^^^^

I think you're barking up the wrong tree, most ppl on here are WAYYYY over EMGs at this point... :noway:

I'm with most of the masses, stuck deciding on: BKP vs. new SD's vs. Lace (seems like Lundgren M8 has fallen out of favor a bit, same with D8's).

2lmlxme.gif

Carver

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
Reaction score
i run 808s in my guerilla, there is a lot of good to be found with these pickups, and you need much less drive than you would think. I also find on my fender bassman that if i run the eq while channel jumping i have the treble at about 3 on both sides and the bass at about half then i crank the amp up and it comes to life.
When using drive, be carefull with the midrange, you need mid to have that crunch we all love but the 808's respond kind of strange to a mid spike, they get farty sounding, so dial that back just a bit to smoothen out the signal. keep the trebel low, the mids pronounced and the bass to fill it all in.

I have a set of bareknuckle aftermaths that i acutally took out because i didnt like the balancing of the out put, where the emgs are balanced really really well.

Before the 8's i used to turn my nose up at emgs all the time, but in the 8 world, there is some good to be found with the actives. you just have to remember that they are balanced from the beginning and any spikes to your eq will be greatly enhanced by the actives.

Erockomania

Studio Geek
Reaction score
Meshuggah/Vildhjarta/Animals As Leaders/Chimp Spanner

Heavy, low but very clear and crisp in your face crunchy! None of this buried beneath mud that i'm currently experiencing.

Pretty much all Axefx and Line 6. The thing that will get you closest to this tone is going to be the Fractal IMHO. Nothing else will quite get you there. The 808 will do fine with some EQ. If you REALLY want that tone... might want to save some cash :)

While not really the djent tone, so to speak, this is an 8 string with the 808s thru the Axefx2, no post processing. The 808 will do fine for articulation.

https://soundcloud.com/eric-hill1/e-the-dimension

Also, I may have missed it, but do you have and/or use a TS808? Another thing most of these djent bands use to help with that tone.

yellow

Banned
Reaction score
Forget the 18v mod and wastin money on passives when u already got a diamond in the rough: First, check out the EMG 808 Fix in my profile or search for it, and ur 808's''ll b better than anything else out, second maybe swap the bridge with SD blackout bridge, but first check out the RPC before u blow too much do. finally, If u can wait the emg 81-8/85-8 will be the best pup set there is, so if u want save up some money for that shit and ull have the ultimate ERG pups. n losing the will to djent is good, that is, using the worse "djent" at all would be good to lose

Murch

Reaction score
Forget the 18v mod and wastin money on passives when u already got a diamond in the rough: First, check out the EMG 808 Fix in my profile or search for it, and ur 808's''ll b better than anything else out, second maybe swap the bridge with SD blackout bridge, but first check out the RPC before u blow too much do. finally, If u can wait the emg 81-8/85-8 will be the best pup set there is, so if u want save up some money for that shit and ull have the ultimate ERG pups. n losing the will to djent is good, that is, using the worse "djent" at all would be good to lose

Y'know, if you actually used proper grammar, it'd be a bit easier to take you seriously. His EMG 808 Fix is the EMG RPC control, which boosts high frequencies, in case you were wondering. Personally, I'd just get an EQ pedal, which would get you the same sounds and more, but the RPC could be a viable solution.

Personally, all I think you need are the 18v mod, some amp tweaking, and maybe a tubescreamer as a boost. I'm currently running my Hellraiser through the TS808 into a Peavey XXX, and it sounds great, although the lowest string is a bit muddy in chords. My tone is a bit darker than what I think you're going for, but my settings are:

Peavey XXX (crunch channel)
Gain - 3-4ish
Volume - 10
Bass - 3-4 (keep below where it starts to get too muddy)
Mids - 6-7
Treble - 4-6, depending on the sound I'm going for at the time

TS808
Drive - 4
Level - 6
Tone - 3

The tubescreamer really tightens it up, and the 18v gives it a bit more dynamics to work with. An EQ pedal would give you some room to tweak the tones hitting the amp, but I don't think you'd really need it, unless this doesn't quite get you there. Your strings should be fine, maybe try going slightly thicker on the lowest two, but that's more for balance than tone.

yellow

Banned
Reaction score
my grammar is not of importance, it is negligible to mention it and it does not detract from the substance of my point: which is beyond the RPC simply being an EQ pedal, it is a mod that synergizes with the active preamp circuitry. and it also is much more effective than the 18v mod, if the 18v mod actually has much value to begin with

furthermore, I wont bother to take what you said seriously as I am an English university/college professor with the highest command of the language you could possibly imagine....but this is an internet forum so i keep it simple, and i don't find it necessary to outwit pseudointellectualz (mistakes purposefully left)

Murch

Reaction score
my grammar is not of importance, it is negligible to mention it and it does not detract from the substance of my point

True, but it does change people's perception of you. The RPC is a good solution, but nobody will trust the technological knowledge of someone that types like a 16 year old girl. Also, I love how you attack me despite essentially agreeing with you, since I mentioned solutions other than what you posted as well.

The RPC and 18v mod do different things, and aren't even mutually exclusive. The 18v mod increases headroom, which allows for more dynamic range and increased clarity. The RPC cuts lows starting at around 80hz, and boosts highs primarily at 4000hz, akin to a preset EQ pedal (frequencies taken from EMGs data sheets). The only major difference between it and an EQ pedal is the fact that it blends in the circuit as opposed to a lower amount of boost (also from EMG's website). You could put an EQ pedal after your guitar and get roughly the same sounds, and they even have an EQ sheet that you can mirror onto the pedal to get even closer.

Also, the reason everyone is pushing the 18v mod is that it's essentially free. All it costs is maybe $5 total for the clip and battery, assuming you don't already have either, and 10 minutes time at most for the soldering. It's also easily reversible if he doesn't like the change, as it's just removing one battery clip. If he tries it, and it doesn't work, then the solutions would move to pricier add-ons like the RPC or new pedals.

yellow

Banned
Reaction score
True, but it does change people's perception of you. The RPC is a good solution, but nobody will trust the technological knowledge of someone that types like a 16 year old girl. Also, I love how you attack me despite essentially agreeing with you, since I mentioned solutions other than what you posted as well.

point taken on the first sentence, and don't take it like that murch, i was just replying to you saying i shouldn't be taken seriously, i know u were agreeing

(and i agree also with you on the 18v mod being practically free, compared to at least $25 for the RPC, but i mean 25 bucks for a great improvement is worth it don't u think?, the 18v mod in comparison, while mutually exlusive [hi boost/low cut vs headroom increase], the RPC makes quite a difference)

its all good bro, don't take it the wrong way

Murch

Reaction score
The $50 that the RPC costs new (more like $30 if you find it used) is perfectly worth it for a good improvement. However, it won't work for everyone, despite it possibly being a good solution to OP's problem. I don't have/want one because my amp is already exceedingly bright, to the point where my treble control almost never goes past halfway, and my tone knob is usually dialed down. The RPC would make that substantially worse, so I don't plan on getting one. This is why I'd personally recommend an EQ pedal instead, as it would be cheaper for a lower end one to see if it'd work (Behringer and Danelectro's EQ pedals are barely $20 new, and even cheaper used), and more versatile in case the RPC's EQ shaping causes fizz or too high of a treble boost. Plus it's less hassle to plug in a pedal than resolder an entire guitar, and possibly even route out a new hole (I couldn't do without my tone knob or either volume control, though I don't know about OP's usage of them.)

Latest posts

')