Lots of problems on 8-string. Help.

ILDHJERTE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey. First post on this forum, so please bear with me if I screw up on something.

Okay, so a while back I sent my guitar to be set up at a guitar store. Problem was, they apparently didn't have a pack of 8-strings, so they used the same string gauge that is used for the 7th string for the 8th string.

This didn't jive with me, so I changed the string for one of the proper gauge. Problem now was that it wasn't set up for that string gauge and hat to be set up anew. I decided to do it myself.
Unfortunately my dumb, lazy ass decided to not research things properly and just wing it, which resulted in me screwing up a bunch of things.

Now I figured that this wasn't TOO bad, since this gave me the excuse to do some modding while fixing it. But there are some problems standing in the way:

For one I wish to remove the fretboard. For numerous reasons, one being that I need to change the stripped truss rod.

Problem: The neck is binded. On one side, it seems that the binding is clearly cut and is separate from the binding going down the headstock, but on the other side, I don't see that divide, and I'm scared I might cause some real damage when removing the fretboard.

IMG_20190910_150125733.jpg
IMG_20190910_150140733.jpg

A secondary concern about the binding is that it has cracked at the fret in numerous places, and I'm wondering if there is anything I can do about this, and if so, what.

IMG_20190910_150003485.jpg
IMG_20190910_145832783.jpg

---

Problem 2:

My bridge has gotten messed up. I fiddled with the saddles a lot. Now several of them are broken, with only one of the screws on the individual saddle adjusting, and the other being stuck in place. Turning, but not adjusting.

IMG_20190910_150217691.jpg
IMG_20190910_150202467.jpg

So yeah. Those are my problems.
Any help on how to solve these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
1) The binding around the headstock surely is a separate piece(s) from the binding around the fretboard. If you remove the fretboard, you'll almost surely need to replace all of the binding on the neck as well. Removing and replacing the fretboard isn't an easy thing or a small job. Replacing the binding would practically be an afterthought after all that work.

2) Not sure what is happening with your saddles or what you mean. But it's easy enough to just order new screws and saddles (or just a new bridge entirely) and just be sure to use the correct sized wrenches with the new stuff.

ILDHJERTE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
1) The binding around the headstock surely is a separate piece(s) from the binding around the fretboard. If you remove the fretboard, you'll almost surely need to replace all of the binding on the neck as well. Removing and replacing the fretboard isn't an easy thing or a small job. Replacing the binding would practically be an afterthought after all that work.

2) Not sure what is happening with your saddles or what you mean. But it's easy enough to just order new screws and saddles (or just a new bridge entirely) and just be sure to use the correct sized wrenches with the new stuff.

I see. Thank you for responding.
Would there be a place where I could buy new binding? I have seen tutorials on how to remove the fretboard, but I am not familiar with binding in general.

Defyantly

Aspiring Builder
Reaction score
For your saddle problem, like @cardinal said, its super easy to just order new screws and saddles or even a new bridge for that matter. As for the neck, unless you have to the tools to remove the fret board/binding, sand off the excess glue, reinstall the truss rod, then reglue a new fret board (assuming you bought one that is the same size), then bind it, radius it, and fret it. You might just be better off trying to find a new neck to just replace it (that is if its a bolt on). What guitar is it? Do you have any pictures of the whole guitar? We will be able to give you better advice with this information.

ILDHJERTE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As for the neck, unless you have to the tools to remove the fret board/binding, sand off the excess glue, reinstall the truss rod, then reglue a new fret board (assuming you bought one that is the same size), then bind it, radius it, and fret it.

Would I have to buy a new fretboard? Could I not just use the same one that I removed?

The guitar is a Jackson JS32-8Q Dinky.
Here's a couple pics of the entire guitar. One of mine and a stock photo.

IMG_20190910_174552142.jpg
Screenshot_20190910-174929~2.png

I really, REALLY like the shape of the headstock, so I would strongly prefer not to buy a neck that doesn't have it.

electriceye

Reaction score
Forgive me, but it seems like you have no idea what you're doing and removing a fretboard is something you shouldn't be attempting. You DO realize that you'll likely destroy the board, right? You need to apply a lot of heat, which inevitably warps the fretboard. The binding will simply need to be re-done, which is easy for someone who knows what they're doing. You're talking about *major* surgery on a guitar and you don't even know that you can just replace the saddles on your bridge to fix your second problem. If you attempt to remove the board, you're going to ruin the guitar. You'd be better off just buying a spare neck on Ebay.

ILDHJERTE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Forgive me, but it seems like you have no idea what you're doing and removing a fretboard is something you shouldn't be attempting. You DO realize that you'll likely destroy the board, right? The binding will simply need to be re-done, which is easy for someone who knows what they're doing. You're talking about *major* surgery on a guitar and you don't even know that you can just replace the saddles on your bridge to fix your second problem. If you attempt to remove the board, you're going to ruin the guitar. You'd be better off just buying a spare neck on Ebay.

Nothing to forgive, you are absolutely right in that I have no idea what I'm doing. Although I have learned to watch tutorials since this damage was done.

I assumed I could buy new saddles, but I figured I would ask here if anyone had some input beyond that, and to see if anyone would completely roast me on my setup.

Indeed it is major surgery. At this current point in time the guitar is unplayable. I do realize that this is something that can probably be fixed with new saddles and a new truss rod, but I still wish to make some alterations to the aesthetics of the guitar.

I will say, I do have an old, completely unplayable guitar that I will use as a test project before doing this one. The only thing about that one is that it doesn't have binding, and the bridge will have to be replaced completely.

The main query of this post is in regards to the binding.

cardinal

Reaction score
Everyone starts somewhere. The concern is that fretboard replacement, particularly trying to reuse the fretboard, is one of the trickiest jobs out there.

It'll be hard and it may not work out, but you'll learn a lot either way

KR250

Build addict
Reaction score
If the guitar is unplayable, this could be a great opportunity for practice. If you could find a pre-slotted 8 string fretboard with the correct scale/width/radius, that would be the best bet. Unfortunately pre-slotted boards cater to 6 strings, quick search doesn't pull anything up. In order to fix this guitar you'll likely need to invest in more tools/parts/practice, or pay a lot to have the finger board and fret work re-done. Both likely exceeding the cost of the guitar.

Also looks like the nut is cut way too low, if it weren't for the stripped truss rod that would be an easy fix. Also, have you measured how much bow there is currently in the middle of the neck with a straight edge with the strings on? If you have about a business cards distance I wouldn't bother changing it out.

ILDHJERTE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Everyone starts somewhere. The concern is that fretboard replacement, particularly trying to reuse the fretboard, is one of the trickiest jobs out there.

It'll be hard and it may not work out, but you'll learn a lot either way

That's the idea.

I have to say, the consensus on reusing the same fretboard being unlikely surprised me. Why would that be so difficult? Based on the tutorials I've seen, it should work fine as long as one clamps it down until it's time to glue it back on.

Sell it, take the loss and buy a new guitar. It would be much easier.

I don't know if it's very likely that I'd find someone willing to buy it. It's absolutely unplayable due to the absurd amount of fret buzz.

If the guitar is unplayable, this could be a great opportunity for practice. If you could find a pre-slotted 8 string fretboard with the correct scale/width/radius, that would be the best bet. Unfortunately pre-slotted boards cater to 6 strings, quick search doesn't pull anything up. In order to fix this guitar you'll likely need to invest in more tools/parts/practice, or pay a lot to have the finger board and fret work re-done. Both likely exceeding the cost of the guitar.

Also looks like the nut is cut way too low, if it weren't for the stripped truss rod that would be an easy fix. Also, have you measured how much bow there is currently in the middle of the neck with a straight edge with the strings on? If you have about a business cards distance I wouldn't bother changing it out.

The bow doesn't seem to be too bad. I suppose the primary problem might be with the saddles and how they're set up.

I have indeed considered buying a new fretboard, but like you say, it's hard to find. of The lackavailability of new necks and fretboards for extended range guitars is rather frustrating.

I'm definitely not gonna pay someone else to do this. At that point, I'd rather just save up for a custom Kiesel (Carvin?) or something.
Though I DO really like the headstock on this, and I have a cool vision for the aesthetic I wish to achieve, so to spend a little to possibly achieve that and, if nothing else, learning a bit more about the luthier craft, that's something else.

cardinal

Reaction score
Applying heat to the board and then scraping it off the neck may curl/warp it. You'd need to flatten it out and hope it pulls up without cracking or leaving bits behind. And it would need to be reinstalled precisely to intonate and match up with the sides of the neck (though the binding might help fudge that).

Defyantly

Aspiring Builder
Reaction score
Depending on how old the guitar is and what condition the fretboard is in, you may not even be able to get the board off without it chipping or snapping. I had the same issue when I replaced the fretboard on my sevenstring. In the end it would be best to either order a custom fretboard. I believe lmii can do custom measurements or there is a guy on Instagram that cncs a lot of custom fretboards for companies like barlow guitars and a couple others. I don't remember his name off the top of my head though.

Nick

Reaction score
If you want to reduce your guitars value to zero I say go ahead :yesway:

Seriously though, stop. Get it into a professional to address the issues propperly. A good guitar tech will have it better than new.

ILDHJERTE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Applying heat to the board and then scraping it off the neck may curl/warp it. You'd need to flatten it out and hope it pulls up without cracking or leaving bits behind. And it would need to be reinstalled precisely to intonate and match up with the sides of the neck (though the binding might help fudge that).

I see. Thank you for the explanation.

Depending on how old the guitar is and what condition the fretboard is in, you may not even be able to get the board off without it chipping or snapping. I had the same issue when I replaced the fretboard on my sevenstring. In the end it would be best to either order a custom fretboard. I believe lmii can do custom measurements or there is a guy on Instagram that cncs a lot of custom fretboards for companies like barlow guitars and a couple others. I don't remember his name off the top of my head though.

Thank you for the tips. A custom made fretboard might be just what I need.

If you want to reduce your guitars value to zero I say go ahead :yesway:

Seriously though, stop. Get it into a professional to address the issues propperly. A good guitar tech will have it better than new.

If it was just about the playability, I would, but at this point it's about ore than that. It's also about aesthetics. I have a vision for how this guitar should look, and I wish to fulfill it.