Lots of spam posts lately

• Thread starter TedEH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Anyone else notice the bunch of spam posts popping up lately? I've been reporting some of them as I see them. Seems like a relatively recent issue- this site it usually pretty solid against that kind of stuff.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I think the moderator team is spread pretty thin, lately, and maybe that's one thing we just have to deal with as a result. Hopefully it's temporary.

Plus, there are simply more spammers out there than there used to be. This is a fairly active message board, so it makes sense that it'd end up being targeted.

Furthermore, have you ever considered buying a new set of encyclopedia? Six easy payments and tons of useful knowledge.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

mothman is real and stole my catalytic converter
Reaction score
just booked my flight to india for medical tourism. Now I can finally look like handsome squidward.
hqdefault.jpg

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
So I signed on this morning to ten pages of this:

ignore.jpg

And the "New posts" button was how I stayed up-to-date on threads... I guess now I can't see them unless people posted after this guy logged off. That's pretty brutal, though, to think that this guy (more likely a bot) went and posted in almost every stinking thread on the board with the same spam post.

KnightBrolaire

mothman is real and stole my catalytic converter
Reaction score
So I signed on this morning to ten pages of this:

ignore.jpg

And the "New posts" button was how I stayed up-to-date on threads... I guess now I can't see them unless people posted after this guy logged off. That's pretty brutal, though, to think that this guy (more likely a bot) went and posted in almost every stinking thread on the board with the same spam post.
yeah I don't think we really had this bad of a spam problem with the old software. They should institute captchas and 2 factor authorization or something to stop the spam bots.

takotakumi

Reaction score
wait nvm its the same one but now with Monday12 name? Reported 3 so far, its going after old old threads

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
wait nvm its the same one but now with Monday12 name? Reported 3 so far, its going after old old threads
Yeah, I clicked ignore after I saw the same post for the third time. All I remember of the user name was Monday-something, and "it" was just posting an enormous list of links. It'd be no problem normally, but "it" clogged up my "New Posts" view so much that I couldn't really see anything else from before "it" took over.

MuchaSangria

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm using this thread to adress the recent increase in spam posts by new users. I tried to report the ones I see but it definitely is increasing (at least from my perspective).
Is there any way to deal with it (restrict new users with CAPTCHA, etc.)?

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Haven't seen as many bots lately, but there's a new thing where older inactive accounts are being used to push crypto scams.
I almost accidentally reported you when I saw this cause I reported the same comment earlier but caught it last second that you only quoted it.

There have been shit tons of spam posts lately but that one looks so dodgy it could be a phishing/hacking attempt if it's not just spam. First one I've seen so far in a comment though, they are usually posts of keto gummies or delta 8 edibles.

Latest posts