Love And Death (Head from Korn)

• Thread starter jwade
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone else think the tone on Korn's first few albums sucked? But this sounds awesome!

They actually went public sometime between '96-98 with their regrets over their guitar tone on Life is Peachy. They knew it at the time. They blamed it on tracking everything in a hurry from the road. That's part of why they went with a different producer and gear for Follow the Leader which ended up sounding phenomenal in regards to guitar tone. They had a higher budget and took their time in the studio.

The tone on this new stuff is some of the clearest and most defined guitar tone I have ever heard from any band ever! Its totally over the top amazing in regards to clarity and tone IMO

8last

Reaction score
Does anyone else think the tone on Korn's first few albums sucked? But this sounds awesome!

I love their early sound. That first album is an engineering miracle the way Robinson managed to fit every instrument in that sonic spectrum. It isn't loud like a modern album but the tone really serves the songs. Like listening to their new stuff, disregarding songwriting, the sound is loud but uninteresting and the drums and bass don't come through the same way

Semichastny

Reaction score
When you consider Korn was tuning to "A" in the mid 90's way before we got spoiled with baritone scales and emg 707's the tone isn't all to bad. We have come a LONG way since then.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Yeah, but on the flipside Jonathan Davis actually sounded GOOD on the first two albums as opposed to a strained owl on everything after.

Booooo.

Follow The Leader through Untouchables, Jon at the top of his game.

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
+1 right here!! Untouchables is one of my favorite Korn Albums.

hell yeah, if anything his vocals improved. I did like his dirty raw sounding vocals early on, but he improved a lot as he went on. He still has a sick scream/roar :hbang:

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
^I like the way his vocals sound on that song "Oildale" a lot. He needs the right music I think. If Head rejoined, I would guess JD would sound pretty damn good.

matt397

Tr00f
Reaction score
^completely agree. Korn III definitely had some glimpses of the old JD, personally I still don't think that album comes close to comparing to anything up to and including Untouchables but I could definitely hear the old korn throughout it and it's definitely a vast improvement on the three albums prior to it.
I'm anxiously awaiting heads return, he is definitely what that band needs.

8last

Reaction score
I noticed Jds vocals taking a nose dive by follow the leader. His melodies and lyrics were his best work, however. It was his tone, very nasal. But he still sounded good, just not as cool as he sounded on the first two albums. It seemed like every album after his voice got more and more nasally and less and less angry and the stuff he was writing was just mediocre. The album they did with skrillex had some cool ideas but by that point his voice is unlistenable. No one is saying 'I wished I sounded like that guy'

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
I noticed Jds vocals taking a nose dive by follow the leader. His melodies and lyrics were his best work, however. It was his tone, very nasal. But he still sounded good, just not as cool as he sounded on the first two albums. It seemed like every album after his voice got more and more nasally and less and less angry and the stuff he was writing was just mediocre. The album they did with skrillex had some cool ideas but by that point his voice is unlistenable. No one is saying 'I wished I sounded like that guy'

That about sums it up

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
Just received the CD in the mail yesterday and have given it two complete listens. I think that this album proves that Brian Head Welch is a musical genius! I very well may get sick of listening to it as time goes by but right now this album is amongst the most 'listenable' Metal/Rock I have ever heard. The emotion and energy is ridiculous. Not to mention the insane production quality.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
3 things:

1. About Munky and Head... in my view, Munky's style is really raw, and Head's style is sophisticated. They complement each other in a truly awesome way... if you guys think Munky is a hack listen to Fear and the Nervous System's Choking Victim song, it's PURE EARLY KORN, but tuned to B. I think Munky had a lot of influence in the beggining, he was the guy who started playing sevens and turned Head into them. I hear a lot of influence from Head from Follow the Leader onwards, that style is totally his style, but these guys together are magic, I hope they write together again... can't wait.

2. As for Love & Death's album, it is BRILLIANT. It's the only thing in my car right now... his riffs are incredible, and no, he is not djenting, not even trying to djent. I guess people think his riffs sound like djent because he has a super modern tone and he also tuned to Ab (G#), one of the djent's bands favorite tunings (a little below Korn's tuning, and he is tuned to F on I W8 4 U), but I really don't think he's inspired by djent bands. He is playing his own style, and Korn helped spread downtuning and this kind of style way before djent started anyway...

3. His singing rocks in my opinion, I love it. I hope he goes back to Korn but continues his solo endeavors. Love & Death's Between Here & Lost is a modern classic to me already :yesway:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Posting for the lazy:

207286_10151512576285761_1255095979_n.jpg

hand amputation

Reaction score
Finally getting around to listening to the album.

I like it overall. Sure, it has it's corny moments, but like a previous poster said, it is very listenable!

Not to mention, the riffs are SICK.

Agreed. Riffs are the same kind of stuff minus the technicality. He is in Drop-G on a baritone Ibanez (his 17-year old co-guitarist J.R. Is in Drop-G on a PRS baritone).

Very groovy.

Head is stilll using Bogner Uberschall head (or Ecstacy, he might have switched here) along with Mesa 4x12 cabs.

Could someone explain this Baritone Ibanez business? Can you play a 6 (or 7) string guitar that sounds as heavy as an 8 string? I LOVE the tuning and tone on this album.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Finally getting around to listening to the album.

I like it overall. Sure, it has it's corny moments, but like a previous poster said, it is very listenable!

Not to mention, the riffs are SICK.

Could someone explain this Baritone Ibanez business? Can you play a 6 (or 7) string guitar that sounds as heavy as an 8 string? I LOVE the tuning and tone on this album.

Of course you can play a 6 or a 7 that sounds as heavy as an 8 string, the only difference is the number of strings. With the right gauges and pickups it's totally doable.

')