Low action with little/no buzz?

• Thread starter The-Machine-95
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The-Machine-95

Reaction score
Firstly, hi everyone, I'm new to the forums.

Secondly, I'm looking for tips and tricks on how to get my action as low as possible without buzz (and without using super-heavy strings). I'm using an Ibanez Prestige RG2570 with (I believe) an Edge Pro trem. At the moment, the low E is just over 3mm above the 12th fret, and the high E is 2mm above the 12th fret. Is that considered to be fairly low action?
I'm getting some fairly significant buzz on the G and low E strings, especially on fretted notes. The neck has a little relief in it, but to get rid of the buzz on the low frets I need to give it way more relief than it should have.
I'm wondering if it has something to do with the way the Edge Pro is set up. I have it set so the baseplate is parallel to the body.
By the way, I'm using Elixir 10-46 strings. I'll provide pics when I get the chance.

And before any of you tell me to take it to a luthier, I'm trying to learn to do this sort of stuff myself so I don't have to fork out $40 AUD every time I want to set my guitar up.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mniel8195

Reaction score
i would consider that high action personally i usually shoot for about 2mm and 1.5 on the treble. Anything under hat i would consider super low. you need to bring your guitar into a tech.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Welcome! It's not hard to get the guitar set up correctly. If it turns out you need frets leveled or something, then I'm gonna tell you to take it to a tech because that's not something you can just "do" - it takes a bit of learning.

Anyway, you can find guides online how to set it up, but the basic idea is that you need to set up the neck first, then check the nut, then set the bridge.
1) set up the neck by fretting the low E at the 1st and 17th or so fret. Then check the distance between the string and the fret in about the middle of that range - like around the 7th or so. If it is juuuuust over it, but not touching, it's good. If it's higher than a piece of paper thickness above it then tighten the truss rod a quarter turn. If it's touching the fret then loosen the truss for a quarter turn. Wait a couple hours and then repeat.
2) setting the nut. First, lower the bridge so the high E is about 1.5mm above the 12 lth fret. Don't worry about buzzing at this point. Now, make a mental note of how far the low E is above the first fret. Then, fret the low E at the first fret and look at the distance between the string and the second fret. Is it less than the string over the first fret when the string is left open? If so, the nut is too high and needs to be lowers (take it to a tech).
3) lower the action at the bridge.

The-Machine-95

Reaction score
Welcome! It's not hard to get the guitar set up correctly. If it turns out you need frets leveled or something, then I'm gonna tell you to take it to a tech because that's not something you can just "do" - it takes a bit of learning.

Yeah, obviously a fret level or something is gonna require tech work. I just didn't want anyone telling me that I need to pay $40 in order to have the truss rod turned 45 degrees or something like that.
In fact, I think a fret dress might be part of the solution. Some of the frets are looking a little beat up. Still, I am getting a bit of buzz on open strings, so I'll try some of the tests you suggested. Thanks for your help.

trevose

Reaction score
Ibanez spec is 2.0mm on the bass side and 1.5 or 1.6mm on the treble side. That's at the 14th fret, mind you.

There's a pretty awesome setup guide on ibanezrules:
IBANEZ RULES!! tech - setup

Nine times out of ten, you just need a good setup. I like to do neck relief by sight. Generally, I shoot for as little relief as possible without buzz. I also set the relief where I want it right off the bat and check it later that day or the next day. If it needs adjustment again, I set it again. In my experience it usually stays put the first or second time.
If you want to go by specs, the Ibanez QC handbook says (and I'm going by memory so hopefully I remember correctly) to capo the first fret, fret the last fret, and measure the distance from the 7th fret (or is it the 9th?) to the bottom of the string. Spec is ~0.3mm. Unless something is wrong, you can usually get it tighter than that, though.

Buzz on open strings is usually either because your truss rod is too tight and the strings are touching the middle frets (at the peak of the bow in the neck), or because the nut is cut too deep and they're buzzing on the first fret. If you have buzz on an open string but not when fretting the first fret, there's a good chance the nut is low. There could also just be a burr in the nut or the saddle that needs to be cleaned up.

If you still can't get it playing the way you want, just cave in and take it to your tech. Once it's set up, the only thing you really need to adjust periodically is the truss rod. The rest should stay put unless you change string gauges use a different tuning. While you're there, ask about a fret level. It may set you back $150, but your guitar will never feel better.

Also keep in mind that a little buzz isn't really a big deal if you like your action low. If it doesn't come through an amp, and your sustain isn't suffering, don't worry about it. There's a big difference between a little buzz and fretting out.

redstone

Reaction score
At equal string tension, shorter scales allow for lower action before starting to buzz. If you can sacrifice the first or two first frets, just put a capo at the first/2nd fret so you can lower your action a bit more.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
The frets usually need to be dressed in order to get buzz free low action. My guitar tech calls it "shredder action" and its magical once you experience it! :holy:

Force

Jackson Addict
Reaction score
If you can find someone over here that knows what they're doing for $40, give me a yell. The going rate for a basic set up is $80+.

The-Machine-95

Reaction score
Well, once my truss rod adjustment settled, I got the buzz out of the open strings, except for the low E. After much pondering, I found that the string hadn't bent properly over the fretboard side of the nut, which was causing it to vibrate weirdly and buzz on the first fret. A quick press of the finger near the nut fixed that.
I'm still getting some buzz on some of the fretted notes, but I believe I need a fret dress to fix them (since they are more noticeable on the bits that look more beat-up). I'll wait until I feel like I can't stand the buzz anymore to get this fixed, because I'm stingy like that.

If you can find someone over here that knows what they're doing for $40, give me a yell. The going rate for a basic set up is $80+.

Well, that was actually what my previous guitar (a hardtail) cost for a basic set up (truss rod, bridge and pickup height adjustment). I imagine it would be much more for a Floyd (been doing my own set ups since I got my Ibby), but I was just saying it to make a point: it's way too much to pay for something so simple.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
You shouldn't worry about a little fret buzz. Every guitar buzzes if you hit the string hard enough. Just as long as it doesn't come out in the amp or affect sustain.

The-Machine-95

Reaction score
You shouldn't worry about a little fret buzz. Every guitar buzzes if you hit the string hard enough. Just as long as it doesn't come out in the amp or affect sustain.

You're right of course. I often practice unplugged, which is why I sometimes worry about buzz more than I should. And of course, I don't count it as the guitar 'having buzz' if I have to hit the string hard before any buzz actually happens.

Anyway, my action is now low, and my buzz is minimal, so I'm now a happy camper.

')