Low tunings on standard guitars

• Thread starter VinnyShredz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

VinnyShredz

Reaction score
I had a question and I wasn't sure if it'd go here or in the ERG section, but I figured here made more sense.

I am looking to change up the tuning on one of my 25.5 inch scale Jacksons. I usually keep my jacksons in Drop Db or Eb standard.

I was thinking of putting one of them into Drop B tuning, but I wasn't sure if the scale would handle that tuning that great, or if I could even fit a thick enough sixth string.

Will this work? What gauges would you guys suggest if I'm used to 10 to 52s in
Anyone else play in the same tuning on a non "Baritone" ? I think the dude from Veil of Maya does, but I may be incorrect.

I tune to drop Ab on a 25.5 Jackson seven string and it handles fine

What do y'all think???:wavey:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Thesius

Reaction score
I play with a shorter scale than what you have and can tune down no problem. 13-56 is good for around there. I use 10-52 but I play in C#.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
I've been playing in B and A# for years on 25.5 and 24.75" scales with 10-56 no problem. There will be no issue with the scale length especially since you already answered your own question by saying you play in Ab on your 7 at 25.5, the number of strings has no relation to the scale length so it will be fine.

Seybsnilksz

Reaction score
Well, Ab is lower than B, so why wouldn't it work on a six string when it works on a seven? Or did you mean that your Jackson seven was 26,5? Nothing wrong with B on a standard scale however. I think my limit on a 25,5 would be around Ab/G.

Anyways, I would recommend 12-56 or 12-60 for drop B.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
Ab is the lowest I will put my 6er simply because I need bridge cables to keep things clear down that low at that point :lol:

I hate huge strings under tons of tension lol

fantasyl

Reaction score
I used to have a Fender Richie Sambora with 13-64 in B standard 7.
I had to file the locking tuner for the 64 but it was easier than I initially thought and once the truss rod was adjusted I had no problem at all ;)

Endnote

Reaction score
I have D'addario .11-.56 on my ESP/LTD EC1000 in drop B and they've worked out fine, though the primary tuning I use on that guitar is C# standard. With a .60 in drop B on a 25.5 you'd get about 17 lbs of tension, which is near a .46 in standard tuning. While a .56 would be around 15lbs. It does come down to preference, but I can say that I'm perfectly happy using the .56 in drop b on my 24.75 scale guitar. My 2 cents.

VinnyShredz

Reaction score
thanks guys. Yeah I guess I sorta did answer my question. I use a 74 on that low Ab though, I know that a 74 won't fit on the six string slot (but I wouldn't need that) hopfully a 60 or so fits okay, it probably should

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
D'Addario makes 12-60 stringsets specifically for C standard tuning on standard scale-length guitars. I think it works just fine for drop B. I actually use it for drop Bb.

edit: but I always switch in a wound third!

If you're tuning this low/using strings this thick you're definitely going to want a wound third!!!!!!!!!
makes a SIGNIFICANT tonal difference.

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
typically, it depends on the kind of tension you like.

the lower you tune, the thicker of a string you'll want... BUT at some point the string is too thick for the scale length to intonate properly (read : it's gonna sound off), and it's going to sound bassy as well. so you have two solutions : get a baritone guitar, or use a thinner string. the thinner string is going to intonate correctly and all, but the weaker tension on it means it might lack power compared to the rest of your string set. but then again, most sets come with a floppy bottom string so people are used to how that sounds.

Also the string that would match a 52 in Eb would be a 64 for B, and the match for a 52 in Db would be a 58 for B. for the high Db you're looking at an 11 gauge.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
If you like a 74 for Ab and a 52 for Eb/Db, you'd like a 62 or 64 for B on the same scale length.

Based on the gauges you already like, I'd try a set like 11, 15, 24w, 32, 42/44, 62/64 from here: D'Addario XL Nickel Wound Guitar Singles & Build your own String Set! I tune my Carvin TL60 to drop B (25" scale) and use 12, 16, 24w, 32, 44, 64 and it's comfortable for me :) though I'll be trying an 11.5 and 15 next time I order strings.

Pretty much any guitar in its stock form will fit a 62 through the tuning peg, though you'll probably want to file the nut a little wider with some excess string (from the 62) to get it to fit snug. Then of course reset the intonation and adjust the truss rod as needed, though that shouldn't be much, if any.

ToneLab

Bedroom Playa
Reaction score
If you like a 74 for Ab and a 52 for Eb/Db, you'd like a 62 or 64 for B on the same scale length.

Based on the gauges you already like, I'd try a set like 11, 15, 24w, 32, 42/44, 62/64 from here: D'Addario XL Nickel Wound Guitar Singles & Build your own String Set! I tune my Carvin TL60 to drop B (25" scale) and use 12, 16, 24w, 32, 44, 64 and it's comfortable for me :) though I'll be trying an 11.5 and 15 next time I order strings.

Pretty much any guitar in its stock form will fit a 62 through the tuning peg, though you'll probably want to file the nut a little wider with some excess string (from the 62) to get it to fit snug. Then of course reset the intonation and adjust the truss rod as needed, though that shouldn't be much, if any.

Never saw the custom section on D'Addario before - thanks

Shask

Reaction score
I have an Ibanez that I keep in B Standard. I use the 13-56 set from D'Addario. Works well for me.

On my 7 strings I have a 59 and 62 for the top string, so this set is comparable. It is like a normal set of 10s with the matching low string.

Reaction score
I play in Drop B on my LPC, with gauge 12 strings, with a low 74... It just works for me haha

Blood Tempest

Eschaton Mémoire
Contributor
Reaction score
Bill Steer of Carcass (I know they don't play in Ab) has been doing just fine all these years with his 24.75" scale Gibson LPs; as well as many others. As long as you are using strings that are thick enough to provide the tension YOU prefer, you're good to go. The rest is really up to your pickups and EQing to provide the desired clarity, IMO. While I feel like scale length does hold some importance in regards to this, I also feel that this issue is grossly overstated on this forum. An unpopular opinion, I know. Good thing I can't receive neg rep anymore :lol:

Captastic

Reaction score
I also use the D'Addario 13-56 strings in C standard. Great string set...

AlmaMater

Reaction score
I play on a 25.5 on C# tunning (C#, G#, E, B, F#, C#) with string gauge 11-52 and for me is perfect.
There is one thing that I find it strange, power chords sounds bad if the low C# is perfectly in tune. I have to lower the pitch just a little bit to make it sound right. (Intonation is great, happens with new or old strings so it happens even if I tune it to the power chord)
Does anyone else have experience this?

jonsick

Reaction score
I use Beefy Slinkies tuned to C#.

I find the one thing with tuning down standard guitars is neck size. I don't like tuning my Jacksons low as they generally tend to have thinner necks. I have both of my ESP SVs in C# as the necks are a little chunkier. And for some reason, they just sound better and seem to be a little more together at those low tunings and sound fuller.

That's not to say Jackson are deficient, I just prefer limiting myself to E-standard or Eb on those thinner necks. They sound good and are nice and fast!

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
There is no reason why drop B or A or Ab wouldn't work on a six string. For years and years, pretty much all of the sevens were 25.5".

But I am curious, why do you want to decide the tuning this way?

')