Lower wattage high gain tube amp for home use...

• Thread starter dbyrne23
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dabo Fett

Reaction score
I vote Jim root terror. It also sounds huge recorded through an orange or mesa 212. And while it's not as definied and right as the others, there's something immensely fun about turning it up and hitting a single note that feels like it weighs 1000lbs

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
Remember that a 1/4 watt amp turned up is likely too loud for home practice.

For every doubling of wattage you only get an increase of roughly 3db.

JonusGrumby

The Skipper
Reaction score
Out of my eight tube amp heads, five of them are low-watt beasts.
I love those things!
I'll list the ones I have with my opinions fir you.
You did state you're looking for "high gain," so I'll keep that in mind.
Also, some of these have previously been mentioned.

1. H&K Tubemeister 18. My favorite of the lot!!!
It's a high gain monster, but also has a wonderful clean channel. The crunch channel is nice and beefy, but really kicks when the boost is engaged.

2. Jet City JCA20H. Another monster. This is only one channel, but has gain for days.
it was already a beast, but I modded it for even more gain ;)

3. Vox 'Lil Night Train. This little guy is a real surprise and gain monster.
It's really small but packs a BIG punch. Rivals the Tubemeister, but at 2 watts.

4. Epiphone Valve Jr. Not high gain, but I modded it for more juice.
Still doesn't compare to any of the above, but it's solid and sounds great with an OD pedal.

5. Marshall Class 5. Hate it!!!! Not high gain--not even close!
Sounds fizzy, fuzzy, farty and flabby. I even modded it--sounded better, but you can't polish a turd!
I ran every OD and distortion pedal I have through it, and I have BOXES of pedals-I barely got an acceptable sound. Stay away from this one.

One I've tried, but don't own...yet.
Blackstar HT-5. Awesome little amp. High gain. Fits the bill.
Gets everything from classic British metal to modern metal. Put an OD in front, and it's Heaven!

AndrewFTMfan

Reaction score
So who would dish out $200 for a Blackstar HT-5H, or just save for a Randall RD5? I would get a Tubemeister 18 but I don't think I can wait long enough to purchase it. :(

JonusGrumby

The Skipper
Reaction score
So who would dish out $200 for a Blackstar HT-5H, or just save for a Randall RD5? I would get a Tubemeister 18 but I don't think I can wait long enough to purchase it. :(

I'd easily dish out $200.00 for a Blackstar. I've paid more for a pedal.

fappenmeister

Reaction score
If one could choose between an Engl Ironball or the Laney IRT Studio, which would be a smarter choice? Both have emulated outs, although the Laney has the USB interface and some other options.

1b4n3z

Reaction score
The Ironball is a fully equipped high-gain tube amp, no joke. I was on the fence for a long time about getting either the Ironball or the Mini Rectifier - they are very close if not the same, quality-wise. I ended up with the Mini, but I probably would choose Engl now. Mainly because it actually does low volume very well (and recording), which the Mesa is not capable of (no master volume). The Engl is superb, a lot of Finns on local forums have switched from Mini to Ironball and are not looking back. I actually sold my Mini Recto and bought myself a Dual to achieve some kind of apartment volume, how's that for irony...

That Jet City 22 is very tempting though. I seem to gravitate towards Soldano/Rectifier type of tone, so that might be the bedroom amp for me. Engl does its thing extremely well, just really not my type of overdrive voicing. That's why I chose Dual over Savage, really.

iron blast

Northern Winds
Reaction score
my votes for a Engl E530 pre(has 1 watt power amp built in) ,Laney Ironheart Irt Studio, Randall Rg13, Baron Snott Watt,Amt Stonehead (Aka Doom Toaster),Evh 5150III 50 watt (yes it can nail bedroom volume) any of these can nail metal

bloodstaindewok

Reaction score
I say JCA22H. 2 channels and legit tone. Doesn't suffer from the "too many knob" problem that seems to plague some micro gear (carvin v3m, mesa studio pre). It has just what it needs, gets solid tone, covers a dang good sonic spectrum and won't break you in doing so financially. I have a 100HDM that I picked up B-stock for dead cheap and is solid mint. If you keep an ear to the ground their stuff comes up like that all the time. I've even had a chat with Doug over the phone concerning mods and repairs and he's a solid dude that stands behind the product. I support JC all the way, Doug and Mike are good people with a great value product. Any of the JC stuff can handle metal and anyone that says they can't I would heavily question their ability to eq the gear.

hesu

Reaction score
DAMN YOU!!!!!
Now I've gotta have one! Sounds killer, and blows away most I've heard.
Clean sounded good, too. The crunch was unbelievable!!!
Thanks for the heads up.

It's great to find such words somewhere in the Internet!

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
is this thread still relevant for OP ?
Unless you only need a head and not a combo ...

this:

with one of these :

you should be able to find both for less than 300$ altogether. 5W with that pedal can be pretty loud, and you can switch the amp down to 0.1W which is pretty useful.
i realize Bugera have a bad reputation on these boards, but that amp hasn't failed me in the past 2 years.

Les

Curl of the Burl
Reaction score
^Friend of mine mods these little bugeras with a speaker upgrade as well and they sound incredible when hes done.

Latest posts

')