Lower wattage high gain tube amp for home use...

• Thread starter dbyrne23
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
Really? Which speakers exactly? What happens generally tonally? It's already a great amp enough for its size and price but a mod doesn't seem like such a bad idea ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Les

Curl of the Burl
Reaction score
Really? Which speakers exactly? What happens generally tonally? It's already a great amp enough for its size and price but a mod doesn't seem like such a bad idea ...

He puts better quality caps and resisters in, better wiring in some spots including the speaker wire, output transformers, and some other stuff like improved grounding. He mods a lot of amps, and each one has its own special mod list/sheet. Basically he builds on where the factories cheap out to keep costs down.

You should hear what one of the modded 5150's sounds like...its insane.

For the speakers, I cant recall, its been a while since ive seen one of them done, but i havent been to his shop in some months. He uses WGS speakers, so theoretically you could have any one you wanted from their line in the 10" or 8" size or whatever it is.

As far as the tonality differnece, i never get to hear them before they're modded lol. But when their done they are crisp, clean, no noise, and they sound great. Like great as in "where the hell is that sound coming from? Oh, that little Bugera??? Wow!!!" I literally ask him every time he demos one and he smiles at me because its a bugera again haha. Its something you just have to hear i guess, like i said i really cant compare before and after. I just know that its incredible when hes done.

Les

Curl of the Burl
Reaction score
Thanks man, that's some great info, i'll look into it myself soon!

If your wondering who does the mods its Custom Amps & Amp Mods | FargenAmps.com all around amp genius and a great guy to boot. Makes amazing products and does top quality work.

Also, i went and tried the OR15 and Dark Terror today, as i am in the market for a low wattage bedroom amp and i was really impressed with these two. As long as you like the Orange distortion sound (which i do) you cant go wrong. Wouldn't trade my Dual Recto for one, but they are decently priced and great sounding amps. Despite what some say here, i think they have PLENTY of gain on tap. But everybody's needs are different. They did surprisingly well with the 8 string as well, kept the low end defined.

Latest posts

')