Lowering the output of EMG pickups{Just found this on their website}

• Thread starter Krypteia713
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
Totally understandable man, just ignore that douche.

I actually clip my tone pot on my 707's to give them a bit more presence and clarity, otherwise they were a tad muddy. I can't say I've had the same experience with the palm mutes, but to each his own.

My next axe will have 81's or 81-7's in the bridge though, for sure. Just need a bit more cut for that one.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well, I did read that all EMG 707s are different. That theyre all custom wound with different specs each time. That could explain the inconsistency.

In a USA Schecter Sunset 7 I owned, it had 707s, and the tone was fairly crisp and nice. In my Custom V 7-string it was like a bass pickup, too round and no definition. Horrible. Very bizzarre. Both had mahogany bodies with maple necks, shouldn't have been that drastic of a difference.

I wouldn't be against picking up another 7-string w/ EMGs in it, but it would probably have to be the 81-7. Like I said, I do like the tone, it's just not one of my favorite sounds. By the way when I said Nevermore sometimes uses Duncans and DiMarzios, I was referring to the fact that I've seen Jeff playing Schecter blackjacks with Jbs in them in studio clips and live, and Steve Smyth uses DiMarzios I believe. I'm aware on Enemies of Reality and Dead Heart he used 707s :)

PS: You personally own a Krank? I considred buying one of those but I thought maybe it was all hype, because the samples I've heard werent that impressive. I also hear its kind of solid-state sounding. Can you tell me more about it?

gojira

Reaction score
zimbloth said:
zzzzzzzzzz

What a moronic post, you didnt even listen to (or grasp) one thing i said. LOL of COURSE tubes color the tone, that was my point! Jesus. They color the tone in a GOOD WAY.

I love how you're lecturing me on things I've known for 10 years, as if you somehow have a clue and I don't. Gee I didn't know there were EMG 81-7s? Wow I guess those guitars I've had with those installed didn't exist. I was making a point about MY EXPERIENCES with MY EMG 707s. I clearly stated that many bands I belove get great tone from EMGs.

"...but for whatever reason the ones I've gotten were duds". I guess you didn't read that part. The EMG707s I've had had zero treble, just bass and low mids. How dare you say I'm full of shit just because I'm recounting my experiences. If you had played the guitars in question, you wouldn't have been able to get a tight crisp sound out of them either.

Why are you ranting about PA's? Those are designed to get a transparent sound, of course they wouldn't use tubes in them. Tubes are used to make things sound better, not sound transparent and direct. My goodness...

Anyways, I'm not going to respond to a million different angry misguided things, I'll just say I'm glad you enjoy your Pod and EMGs, go you. Show some respect.

NO - how dare you come here and assume that everyone has no idea what they are talking about - I've read your posts - each and every one of them on this thread - and you made some completley stupid comments - You accuse me of reading your posts selectively - yet you have done exactly that to my reply -

You made the comment that tube amps do not "colour the tone of emgs to get rid of sterility" - would you care to elaborate on what it was you meant by that if I'm so misguided. You also said they sound crap live - please elaborate - you then went on about your own experiences - adding that they might ALL BE DUDS - so what are the odds of that???- I've got two and they sound exactly the same as the other ten I've played on since - join the dots genius.

I dont give a flying fuck if you've had ten years worth of experience, how the fuck do you know what I've got behind me, or what I might know about these things - why on earth should i give a shit if your comments appear to be nothing more than pseudo technical justifications for your own prefferance.

What i was trying to say - is that a solid state amp will hide things LESS than a tube amp - meaning that any so called sterility will be LESS masked - or is that to hard for you to associate with your earlier comments?

ten years or not - you sound like you dont have a clue - so kiss my ass oh great one.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
DSS3 said:
Totally understandable man, just ignore that douche.

:yesway:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

gojira

Reaction score
zimbloth said:
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

wow - such wit.

care to answer any questions - or do you come here to pull your own cock?

gojira

Reaction score
zimbloth said:
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Oh I get it - thats the sound of your fly coming down as you extol wisdom on the online middle class again.

Roland777

Reaction score
To be perfectly honest, I'm with gojira. The sole impression I've gotten of zimbloth is that he prances around, dicking around with his "10 years of experience", racking down on everything that's either not been in his possession, or doesn't fit his tastes. I remember him trying to tell Chris which string-gauge was the right one, as well as subliminally calling noodles' rig crap. ("quality stuff shouldn't be shrill" - custom Jackson and Mesa Boogie rectifiers doesn't exactly strike me as not being quality)

gojira

Reaction score
Roland777 said:
To be perfectly honest, I'm with gojira. The sole impression I've gotten of zimbloth is that he prances around, dicking around with his "10 years of experience", racking down on everything that's either not been in his possession, or doesn't fit his tastes. I remember him trying to tell Chris which string-gauge was the right one, as well as subliminally calling noodles' rig crap. ("quality stuff shouldn't be shrill" - custom Jackson and Mesa Boogie rectifiers doesn't exactly strike me as not being quality)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:fawk:

I am the master of palm mutes!!!!!:bowdown:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Ok, if you insist....

1) Look, it's well known that some tube amps colour the tone more than others. For example, 5150s color the tone a lot more than most amps SUBSTANTIALLY, which means you sort of get that cool 5150 sound with just about any pickups. Of course there's differences, but I find that 5150s sort of help compensate for some characteristics of EMGs -I- don't like. Solid state amps are totally different and has nothing to do with this conversation.

2) Yes, in my opinion EMG 81s don't sound very good live. I gave you an example, I love In Flames tone on records, but when I've seen them live or heard their live album, the tone sounded fairly thin and bland to my tastes. Get over it, its an opinion.

3) I already stated above if you scroll up my experiences with EMG 707s. Like I said, with some of my guitars they sounded fine, with others they sounded terrible.

4) Anything else? I'd rather not spend much more time responding to your immature diatribe.

gojira

Reaction score
Drache713 said:
...And now back on topic about lowering the output of EMG's....
:rolleyes:

Dan (dpm) actually did a small mod on my old rg 7620 that did exactly that - The chances of him being awake at this point in time are slim - I'll get him to let you guys know tommorrow. - It was an internal screw pot that adjusted the output of the emgs - however it was as people have noticed different to lowering the volume on a passive - at least thats how i remember it - he'll do a better job of eplaining it than me -

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Roland777 said:

Whatever man. I never told anyone what was a right gauge. I never said Jackson and Boogies aren't quality either. I said they shouldn't --HAVE-- to sound shrill, which he said they did. Actually read what I say. Why would I say Dual Recs are quality when I have a Dual Rec? If you read, I merely was telling him how he could setup his amp so it wouldn't need to be shrill sounding. Honestly, read posts I've made since that whole thing went down weeks ago or whatever, and tell me I've said anything disrespectful. It's good to know you're just going to ignore what I say and just make assumptions based on stuff I said weeks ago which I apologized for.

Krypteia713

Reaction score
In my experiance with EMGS they have never sounded sterile at all far from it the are the most alive sounding pickups I have ever heard.Only problem I ever had with them was the crazy output levels.Thats why I was wondering if this mod that EMG talks about what be a good Idea for a neck pickup to get less output out of it[less breakup on cleans, more vintage sounding leads].I didnt mean for this thread to become another one of those "actives VS. Passives threads" but A lot of valuable information and insight was attained from the posts so thanks guys.Anyone else think lowering the output might be a good idea?or does anyone know exactly what EMG would do to lower the output?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
That's cool if you like them. I would think it would be difficult to change the output since it has an internal pre-amp which regulates that stuff, but I really don't know. EMGs aren't known for their dynamics so just lowering the volume wouldn't change the tone a whole lot I'd think. Sorry I'm not really sure, I've never heard of anyone wanting to do this before so I can't be certain.

gojira

Reaction score
heres what you origionally responded with..

zimbloth said:
Ok, if you insist....

1) Look, it's well known that some tube amps colour the tone more than others. For example, 5150s color the tone a lot more than most amps SUBSTANTIALLY, which means you sort of get that cool 5150 sound with just about any pickups. Of course there's differences, but I find that 5150s sort of help compensate for some characteristics of EMGs -I- don't like. Solid state amps are totally different and has nothing to do with this conversation.

2) Yes, in my opinion EMG 81s don't sound very good live. I gave you an example, I love In Flames tone on records, but when I've seen them live or heard their live album, the tone sounded fairly thin and bland to my tastes. Get over it, its an opinion.

3) I already stated above if you scroll up my experiences with EMG 707s. Like I said, with some of my guitars they sounded fine, with others they sounded terrible.

4) Anything else? I'd rather not spend much more time responding to your immature diatribe.

1) - see my quote thats possibly the complete opposite of what you said - which is why i responded the way i did.

2) - you said in flames dont sound good live - I agree - countless other bands who use emgs do sound good, and countless other factors are involved - if your argument holds water - so does this -

3) you said - I repeat you said - emgs sound the same no matter which guitar you put them in - need i say more?

4) - I'm enjoying this - so probably.

Krypteia713

Reaction score
zimbloth said:
That's cool if you like them. I would think it would be difficult to change the output since it has an internal pre-amp which regulates that stuff, but I really don't know. EMGs aren't known for their dynamics so just lowering the volume wouldn't change the tone a whole lot I'd think. Sorry I'm not really sure, I've never heard of anyone wanting to do this before so I can't be certain.

Im not really looking for a tone change though, I love the tone just less output which would just drive the amp less causing the sound changes[better cleans, and a more vintage lead, same tone as before just a bit more vintage sounding because of less gain going into the amp.]

gojira

Reaction score
Krypteia713 said:
In my experiance with EMGS they have never sounded sterile at all far from it the are the most alive sounding pickups I have ever heard.Only problem I ever had with them was the crazy output levels.Thats why I was wondering if this mod that EMG talks about what be a good Idea for a neck pickup to get less output out of it[less breakup on cleans, more vintage sounding leads].I didnt mean for this thread to become another one of those "actives VS. Passives threads" but A lot of valuable information and insight was attained from the posts so thanks guys.Anyone else think lowering the output might be a good idea?or does anyone know exactly what EMG would do to lower the output?

truth be told - as zimbloth said above - they aren't very dynamic pickups - and thats not a character you are going to get rid of easily - you really are best off using something else IMO - emgs use an onboard preamp type of deal that takes a very low signal and boosts the shit out of it - it creates a very compressed sound - at leat thats how I understand it. It's not really about them being active or not - it's about how the active circuit works -

DPM really does know gobs about this stuff - I'm sure he'll chime in when hes up!

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
This is ridulcous. I'm sorry you misunderstood what I meant, shit happens. Please move on. I only come here to offer my opinions and experiences, and hope to learn a few things from others as well. If you don't agree with my opinion, so be it, but you don't need to go berserk and personally attack me.

Move on man. LETS BE FRIENDS! YAYAYAY

Krypteia713

Reaction score
gojira said:
truth be told - as zimbloth said above - they aren't very dynamic pickups - and thats not a character you are going to get rid of easily - you really are best off using something else IMO - emgs use an onboard preamp type of deal that takes a very low signal and boosts the shit out of it - it creates a very compressed sound - at leat thats how I understand it. It's not really about them being active or not - it's about how the active circuit works -

DPM really does know gobs about this stuff - I'm sure he'll chime in when hes up!

Yeah I know they arent dynamic but thats more then fine I love their tone I wouldnt want to change it.Just less output so they dont drive my clean channel into distortion as much.I cant wait till DPM gets up he seems to really know what hes talking about based on posts of his I've read.

gojira

Reaction score
zimbloth said:
This is ridulcous. I'm sorry you misunderstood what I meant, shit happens. Please move on. I only come here to offer my opinions and experiences, and hope to learn a few things from others as well. If you don't agree with my opinion, so be it, but you don't need to go berserk and personally attack me.

Move on man. LETS BE FRIENDS! YAYAYAY

No - I'm sorry - you personally attacked me - now you are being a hypocrite - this is why I cant move on:fawk:

')