Lowest tuning with a 25.5" scale guitar

• Thread starter skykill3R
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Same Here, but its F#. I don't understand why people are having tension problems with that kind of gauge strings.

yea for real I think .70 is thick enough even for E but it gets a bit floppy around there but then again there are people that use a .70 for drop B. and some people will not tolerate any string flopage whatsoever.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
yea for real I think .70 is thick enough even for E but it gets a bit floppy around there but then again there are people that use a .70 for drop B. and some people will not tolerate any string flopage whatsoever.

I use 70 for B. For low F is use 100 gauge.

Part of it is preference in string feel and part of it is out of necessity.
I don't like any string flop in the lower registers, and I simply can't tune a 70 to F and then proceed to fret/pluck it without knocking it WAY off pitch. If I play as gently as I can it's barely possible and I can't get any sustain out of it, and doing anything remotely "aggressive" just isn't going to happen.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
I don't understand why people are having tension problems with that kind of gauge strings.

You're talking about having your lowest string with a tension lower than the tension on the thinnest high E4 string (.008) in a set of D'Addario Super Lights. It's not a problem that you prefer a lower string tension on your lowest strings than even KK Downing would choose, but it's surprising that you can't imagine why some might want more tension than a super light set.

I prefer a higher string tension because it makes it harder to deflect the string, and therefore makes it harder to drive the string out of tune by the simple act of fretting it, and eliminates intonation issues as well. I prefer a minimum tension of 16 lbs. at the low end.

mphsc

http://pyramidguitarscompany.com/
Reaction score
As low as you want! ;)
But yes, with the proper setup, right string tension (more to taste, really), etc... I think you'll be fine going as low as you feel like.

I tune to G# "standard" with a set of D'adarrio 12's with a wound third then a 70 for the b string.

Reaction score
I tune to G standard and a 70 works even with my 25" scale ARZ307.

Anything past this and I would need a baritone to keep the string sizes normal. There is some buzz, but only when I get macho manny.

Ginsu

Reaction score
I use a .68 and a normal 10-46 set for drop A, on my RG7321, it's just right. :D Sometimes I'll use a 64 on the low string though, so it goes a little sharp when I pick harder...I like the sound of it.

havocvulture10

Reaction score
Im playing in C# standard with a 46 gauge low C# in my Hellraiser fr, which I'm pretty sure is a 25.5 scale.
Feels pretty good actually. I'm not a fan of high tension. :lol:
C is probably the lowest it could handle with a 46, but I wouldn't go there.

')