Lowest tuning with a 25.5" scale guitar

• Thread starter skykill3R
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skykill3R

Reaction score
What is the lowest tuning you have achieved with an 25.5" scale guitar and with what string gauge? i have an ibanez rg1527 with .10 to .56 strings, tuned one step down. i would like to try some 8-string guitar tunings but i think that the scale is too short to go more than one step down.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
For me (notice the "for me") anything below G is not manageable on a 25.5" scale. G#/Ab sounds great with the right strings tho.

Greatoliver

Looking to windward
Reaction score
Depends how much tension you like, in my opinion. I use a 70 for my RG in drop A, and that is perfect tension for me. If I were to go lower however, I would have to use a thicker string, and the thicker the string, generally the less bright tone you get. I find that drop A is good for me.

That being said, people tune to the E an octave below standard on 25.5" - it certainly is possible.

Kamikaze7

Banned
Reaction score
On one of my (5) 7-stirngs, I am using a C-C w/ a low G tuning and it holds fine. String guages used are a 13-17-26-36-46-56-66. And there's also my 8 (an FM408...), which is also a 25 1/2" scale using a set of 10-56 and a 70 for the standard E-E w/ low B & F# and that holds fine as well.

Reaction score
I always hate to chime in with what has already been said but it all depends on preference.

I've had certain 25.5" guitars set up in drop G# and it feels great with a 60-13 + 10 set. Other times I need a 70+ to keep things tight. Don't go crazy with the low string but don't be afraid to try some singles. I always ask my local shop what the biggest single they have in stock is, haha!

Riggy

Djun djun djun
Reaction score
I've got an RGA7, and the lowest that's been in so far has been GDADGBe (Not exactly low) with 10's on. My RG321EX has been in Drop A# forever and that handles it fine with 12's on, and both have the same 25.5" scale.

My 7 is going to be in F#AEADF#B soon, I'm still trying to figure out what gauge to use for it, or whether or not to just use a Morpheus Drop Tune.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I'm using a Carvin DC727 currently half a step down with drop Csharp and drop Gsharp bottom two strings and it's good for what we're doing, which is sludgy ugly stuff. Bottom string's only a .56

GhostsofAcid

Suiçmez fanboy
Reaction score
The lowest I've ever tuned on my 25.5 rg7321 is f#, but my lowest string was only a 60 something, so it wasn't really usable. Ended up settling with g#. I went through a whole uber low turnings phase, then I decided I liked boring old c standard the best so now I tune to that with a high f.

xeL

Reaction score
I have a PRS copy sat in E,E,A,D,G#,B# with a 11-49 set (11 removed) + .072, 24.75" scale.

It sounds horrible with the stock pickups.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Have an Elixr Nanoweb in .68 on my RG7421, works great for G#. Quite good for A too, bit tight for Bstd. Probably could go lower without much trouble.

devolutionary

No longer 7-less
Reaction score
I was on G with a .072 (you try getting a .080 in NZ, it's a mission) and it was pretty bad. No clarity, no volume. But if I had a .080 I imagine it would be more than doable.

idunno

Reaction score
With my 25.5's I go down to drop A with a .74 guage which is a little loose. The .74 is just doable down to G# but id prefer it a tad tighter. but it gets a nice bouncy sound to it.

If you get a .80 (guitar string) you could make it to F# or F, provided your saddle goes far enough back and your bridge can handle it.

Mordecai

Reaction score
Depends how much tension you like, in my opinion. I use a 70 for my RG in drop A, and that is perfect tension for me. If I were to go lower however, I would have to use a thicker string, and the thicker the string, generally the less bright tone you get. I find that drop A is good for me.

That being said, people tune to the E an octave below standard on 25.5" - it certainly is possible.

quoted for truth, i also use a .70 in Drop A and i love the feel/tension of it. certainly you can probably go lower with it id say depending on how you intonate the instrument it can definitely be done to go a bit lower.

Waelstrum

All Fourths Advocate
Reaction score
The lowest that I'm aware anyone has tuned on a 25.5" scale is when Explorer tuned down to Bb0 (an octave below the op's lowest string). He may very well chime in on this topic, and if you're lucky, he'll explain how to do it. As I recall he got a giant string (obviously), a special short saddle to intonate correctly and probably some other stuff.

troyguitar

Reaction score
The lowest that I'm aware anyone has tuned on a 25.5" scale is when Explorer tuned down to Bb0 (an octave below the op's lowest string). He may very well chime in on this topic, and if you're lucky, he'll explain how to do it. As I recall he got a giant string (obviously), a special short saddle to intonate correctly and probably some other stuff.

That's pretty much the answer. If you want to use "normal" guitar strings, like .080 or smaller, then I suspect tuning down to F or so will be the limit plus or minus a half-step depending on preference.

Unless you need bass tension like some people here, then you can't tune lower than A :lol:

Dayn

Reaction score
I've done Ab with .066 at 25.5". It worked well, I perhaps could have done with a .064... possibly .062.

I said it worked well, but I didn't really like the sound at all so... I've done C with a .056 instead. Sounded nice!

book_of_lies777

Reaction score
Karl Sanders of Nile plays in drop A using a Dean '79 series V, which has a 24 3/4" scale(and various other guitars as well). He uses SIT .010, .012, .017, .038, .050, .070 guitar strings and Dunlop Tortex Sharp picks 1.35mm.

You should be able to do A no problem with a 25 1/2" scale guitar.

')