Lowest viable notes on an 8 at 27''?

• Thread starter 7 Strings of Hate
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xplora

Reaction score
i look at it a different way.

also, you must really hate your bass player. hell, you may as well just *play* a bass.
This was why I mentioned the string as a bass drop. It's not a legitimate guitar tone ala Beatles/Hendrix/Vai/Smashing Pumpkins... it's a bass tone. However, there is plenty of history of similar instruments playing the same notes (orchestral music FTW) and you get lovely textures by running a high bass line over a low guitar or playing the same notes or something else. The rules are already there; guitar just hasn't used them much. Although the Bass VI does make a mockery of the idea that this is a unique idea to djent.

I personally would simply use the same string you use for F# and tune that guy down. I think you're doing yourself a disservice buying a third guitar for it though. Better off getting a longer scale Squier Bass VI if you really don't need the sound.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sepsis311

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
This was why I mentioned the string as a bass drop. It's not a legitimate guitar tone ala Beatles/Hendrix/Vai/Smashing Pumpkins... it's a bass tone. However, there is plenty of history of similar instruments playing the same notes (orchestral music FTW) and you get lovely textures by running a high bass line over a low guitar or playing the same notes or something else. The rules are already there; guitar just hasn't used them much. Although the Bass VI does make a mockery of the idea that this is a unique idea to djent.

I personally would simply use the same string you use for F# and tune that guy down. I think you're doing yourself a disservice buying a third guitar for it though. Better off getting a longer scale Squier Bass VI if you really don't need the sound.

I agree, to match my F# 8-string, I use my bass that's in drop B. I either use the second string from the top which is F# in the same octave as the guitar, or I play it on the 7th fret on the top B string, also the same octave but fatter sounding. The point is, even though the bass and guitar is in the same octave during F# riffage, the bass still fills in the lower registers of the sonic spectrum. This is especially important because in the mixing process the guitars are usually high passed ~80-120hz, so the bass would fill in the lower space.

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
Posted this one already in the "rg8 mod" thread but screw it:
Drop C, stringsize 80, RG8 and EMG 808X
https://soundcloud.com/marvattaxx/waking-giants
It's definitely usable (for me). Floppy but works kinda great with sludgy stuff haha.
I usually use drop e with that string gauge but maybe I'll use something bigger if I make this my main- tuning. I love the ultra-deep drop c sound :D
Have not tried to get lower yet :lol:

EDIT:
The bass is trillian by the way, I don't think there's a bass that goes this low (??)

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
This is way late haha but what about C Standard in the middle, with a low G and high F?

I tuned my 27" RGA8 down to C# with the 74 that was on there (normally in E), and it worked for single note stuff as long as you used a light pick and played carefully. I wouldn't want to try and play chords with it, thought. :lol:

')