LP / Single Cut Options

• Thread starter The Thing Upstairs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

marke

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Think it's related to your tolerance or sensitivity to things.
Yep, was about to suggest the same. Gibsons simply have been underwhelming IME as well. Not bad, not great, and there is competition at those price points. However, "worse than epiphones" is a stretch.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Think it's related to your tolerance or sensitivity to things.

You maybe fine to see some tool marks in the fret board, or at the edge, while another would say that's not acceptable.

You maybe fine with some color bleed at the headstock biding, where you have to see it between 85 and 90 degree angle...while others may not.

I usually don't bother with judging how the guitar is set up, as I can set it up myself just fine. I do pay extra attention to how the frets are; how the guitar resonates; how wide the fret board is; etc...
I found tiny dimples on my R9 neck the seller never noticed within minutes of opening the case. Im second owner so who knows if it left the factory like that though. People wanted authentic so historics have binding bleed, some worse than others :lol:. I can pick apart all my guitars pretty well, and only one of them did I buy new.

BabUShka

Reaction score
Anyone here have a non Gibson LP but put Gibson pickups in it?

I've tried the 498T in an Epiphone LP Custom and Burstbuckers 2 in my EC1000.

Other than that Ive tried most Gibson pickups over the last few years in different Gibson guitars.. Its a matter of taste, but I just cant get allong with them.

At the most I think I had like 6-7 LP shape guitars at the same time. All sounds different, cost different, feel different. The ones that stayed are the 2017 LP Classic, ESP Eclipse II and the EC1000.

The cheapest one was probably the Agile LP 2500. That one actually sounded and felt really good. But it was heavy as hell.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I was happy with my old AL3100 but I can't say I've missed it since the initial sting of selling it (I was a lot younger and times were a lot different). No idea if they're still that decent though, haven't seen or played one in at least a decade. I did buy a set of "AL3000 series pickups" to pop in a PRS Singlecut SE and I was quite happy with the tone I got from it after the swap - dirt cheap pickups too.

I'd like to find a 498T to try in my SG special and compare notes with the 96 LP standard.

As I said, get a Gibson les paul and another singlecut or two :yesway:

BabUShka

Reaction score
I was happy with my old AL3100 but I can't say I've missed it since the initial sting of selling it (I was a lot younger and times were a lot different). No idea if they're still that decent though, haven't seen or played one in at least a decade. I did buy a set of "AL3000 series pickups" to pop in a PRS Singlecut SE and I was quite happy with the tone I got from it after the swap - dirt cheap pickups too.

I'd like to find a 498T to try in my SG special and compare notes with the 96 LP standard.

As I said, get a Gibson les paul and another singlecut or two :yesway:

The 498T is one of the cheapest Gibson pickups (at least the resale value is like $40 per pickup in Norway) , but imo its actually one of the best Gibson humbuckers. Probably because they're very neutral voiced and not too hot.

For comparison I sold my set of 57 Classics and Dirty Fingers set for around $220 used.

soliloquy

Reaction score
I currently have an ec1000t which I'm in the process of selling as it's too 'metal' looking and feeling.

Going for more traditional guitars these days

Marked Man

Reaction score
The 498T is one of the cheapest Gibson pickups (at least the resale value is like $40 per pickup in Norway) , but imo its actually one of the best Gibson humbuckers. Probably because they're very neutral voiced and not too hot.

For comparison I sold my set of 57 Classics and Dirty Fingers set for around $220 used.

Intertek bootique cork sniffers everywhere are horrified......."How can anyone have good toan with stock pickups??!!" :frantic:

ThunderUnderground

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I vote early Greco/Ibanez LP copy.

Ive never played one but at least if you hate the guitar you get some nice Maxon A8 Super 70 pickups out of the deal (providing no-one has already stole them...)

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
All you need is the cheapest Chinese knockoff you can buy and a Joyo modeller... nothing effects tone if you listen to the interwebs so that should be it

sell2792

Reaction score
If I was in the market for another LP-style guitar, I would probably much only consider a Navigator, Edwards, or ESP/LTD Eclipse. I’ve had nothing but good luck with them in terms of quality, playability, and tone.

')