LTD Black Metal Neck Profile vs. Other "Extra Thin U" Models

Shask

Reaction score
Shit dude, I am in the exact same page! I like the narrow LTD necks as I love my EX100. A few years back I found a used old early 2000 M200 and I bought it but I found the neck was too wide and flat so, even if I prefer flat top bodies with a nice arm rest in a strat shape I had to sell back that guitar because I couldn't gel with the neck contour, but my EX100 is lovely. The MH203 was very nice, a bit too fat (deep, not wide) but in that case I couldn't gel with the archtop body.

Right now I am playing mainly a old Hamer indonesian made standard model, with a nice thin C shape (a bit thinner than a Thin U ESP so I guess it's similar to their Extra Thin U) and being mahogany neck and body is the perfect guitar, but the arched top is something I never find comfortable so that's why I have been looking to buy a new LTD. On paper an Black Metal M-HT should be perfect but the 43mm nut and, as you confirmed, potentially flater neck is not going to work for me, also, I prefer TOM bridges. The EX is next in line: like the shape, already have one, proper bridge, proper nut width... but neckdive and I play with the guitar very high so an EX shape doesn't look very good. Next to consider should be the EC but then it's the arched top again so, for all those reasons I am considering Schecter.

Is the ultra thin C neck Schecter is using much more thinner than the Thin U of the LTD guitars? I like the specs (specially the 16" radius) but... another option is Solar, but looks like there is not one opinion on their necks, people describe them differently and one guy made a comparison using a wire to show the profile and the Solar neck looked super wide...

OK, that's all my shit... it's sunday! :lol:
I am super picky about necks and such and could write you a book on it, lol.

I did play one of those Black Metal M series a month or 2 ago, but wasn't paying that much attention, lol. I remember the neck was wider and thicker/rounder than I thought it would be. Almost like a Jackson that is less flat. Very different than the EC1000 I also picked up around the same time, which feels similar to the MHs and such I had years ago (MH-300, MH-301). Yeah, I don't know why they cant put the same neck on the M series. You basically have to go up to the E-II to get the 42mm, Thin U on an M series guitar. Even then, I generally prefer bolt on or set neck though. I think Neckthrough sounds the worse of the three. I don't love archtops either. I have a couple, but I don't like the feel of them as much as flat+arm contour.

Schecters vary over time also. They keep getting thinner, lol. I have a Hellraiser FR which has the OG fat round Schecter neck. I also have a 7 string version of this. I have an original Banshee, which is one of my favorites. It has the Ultra Thin C neck. It is similar to the ESP Thin U, but rounder in general. It doesn't have the flat stripe in the back. The width and thickness is comparable though. I also have a CR-6, which is the newest. It also has the Ultra Thin C, but it is much thinner than the Banshee even thought they should be the same on paper. It is like a paintstick, lol. It is like Ibanez thin, but still round, and narrow. The Reaper series I have played has been comparable. Basically, from 2010-2015-2019, my Schecters have gotten thinner and thinner. However, they are all still round, and narrow.

I just got an EVH Wolfgang Standard today. I am loving it also. It has a round narrow neck also. The Standard series are the cheaper ones, but I love the flat top body with contours.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

etohk

Reaction score
Hands down, the nicest neck I have played in the last 5 years is the Schecter Nick Johnston Diamond HSS...no where near the evil esthetic of the LTD BM Series but goddamn great if you are picky about necks...

Shask

Reaction score
Shit dude, I am in the exact same page! I like the narrow LTD necks as I love my EX100. A few years back I found a used old early 2000 M200 and I bought it but I found the neck was too wide and flat so, even if I prefer flat top bodies with a nice arm rest in a strat shape I had to sell back that guitar because I couldn't gel with the neck contour, but my EX100 is lovely. The MH203 was very nice, a bit too fat (deep, not wide) but in that case I couldn't gel with the archtop body.

Right now I am playing mainly a old Hamer indonesian made standard model, with a nice thin C shape (a bit thinner than a Thin U ESP so I guess it's similar to their Extra Thin U) and being mahogany neck and body is the perfect guitar, but the arched top is something I never find comfortable so that's why I have been looking to buy a new LTD. On paper an Black Metal M-HT should be perfect but the 43mm nut and, as you confirmed, potentially flater neck is not going to work for me, also, I prefer TOM bridges. The EX is next in line: like the shape, already have one, proper bridge, proper nut width... but neckdive and I play with the guitar very high so an EX shape doesn't look very good. Next to consider should be the EC but then it's the arched top again so, for all those reasons I am considering Schecter.

Is the ultra thin C neck Schecter is using much more thinner than the Thin U of the LTD guitars? I like the specs (specially the 16" radius) but... another option is Solar, but looks like there is not one opinion on their necks, people describe them differently and one guy made a comparison using a wire to show the profile and the Solar neck looked super wide...

OK, that's all my shit... it's sunday! :lol:
I saw where you said you liked the Wolfgang, but didn't want the Floyd. Now that I have a Wolfgang in the house I can compare. I would say if you want a similar neck in Schecter, the Thin C would be the closest. It is Schecter's thicker neck profile. It is on the Hellraisers, Blackjacks, Omens, C-6, etc.....

Actually, I was really impressed with the new Omen Elite 6 I picked up in a store recently. I would be grabbing one of those if I didn't already have a bunch of Schecters. It didn't feel as arched as my Hellraiser feels.

The C-6 Plus or Deluxe also feel nice for being cheaper models. They have the TOM bridge and a flat top with a top bevel. I wish Schecter would use that body style on more guitars.

https://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/deluxe/c-6-plus-ocean-blue-burst-detail

Zhysick

Reaction score
I saw where you said you liked the Wolfgang, but didn't want the Floyd. Now that I have a Wolfgang in the house I can compare. I would say if you want a similar neck in Schecter, the Thin C would be the closest. It is Schecter's thicker neck profile. It is on the Hellraisers, Blackjacks, Omens, C-6, etc.....

Actually, I was really impressed with the new Omen Elite 6 I picked up in a store recently. I would be grabbing one of those if I didn't already have a bunch of Schecters. It didn't feel as arched as my Hellraiser feels.

The C-6 Plus or Deluxe also feel nice for being cheaper models. They have the TOM bridge and a flat top with a top bevel. I wish Schecter would use that body style on more guitars.

https://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/deluxe/c-6-plus-ocean-blue-burst-detail

I have checked that guitar several times because specs wise is almost perfect (I would prefer mahogany as the body wood but I can live with basswood) but I am afraid of being very low end, I mean, I know I might need to bring it to a luthier. Normally I do myself some fret leveling, fret edge and of course fret polishing, action adjustments and all that normal stuff, but if the guitar is too cheap it might not be OK-ish enough so I can "fix" it to my liking and if I had to spend the money in a good luthier to make that guitar better I would rather buy a better one.

But you sold a Schecter to me probably... it's time to check other stores to find out if I can get another Schecter model that I like because in Thomann the offer is not very wide...

')