Lunchbox Amp Shootout With 12 Amps! (Mesa, Laney, EVH, Peavey etc.)

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Finally listened -

Nice video and great production value.

Everything except the 6505 has a useable clean channel though none of them really blew me away, could also be related to how they are dialed in.

The Mark and MT15 are clear winners for high gain, maybe unfair since they are the least "lunchbox." I also liked both 5150s and all the Oranges (Jim Root was the best of them). Mini recto definitely gets that recto vibe but isn't the same as the real deal (obviously). IRT seems promising but has a weird buzz here, might be possible to dial out

edit: both 5150s have the best palm mutes

Thanks!
I get what you're saying about the clean tones.
I thought I'd do something a little different with the semi-hollow P90's and the breakup.
I'm aware it's not everyone's cup of tea.

The Laney is really really great though.
I also have an Ironheart 60 which is also killer.
Those two sound very much alike funny enough.
Those are always in the top 2/3 with these tests.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Choop

uwu
Reaction score
Favorite was the Mark overall, but several of them sound great. I agree the 6505 and 5153 had the best chunky palm mute sounds, they really retain a quality of the bigger versions in that way. Out of the Oranges I really liked the Rocker 15 and the Brent Hinds model! Makes me want a Rockerverb... :C

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Favorite was the Mark overall, but several of them sound great. I agree the 6505 and 5153 had the best chunky palm mute sounds, they really retain a quality of the bigger versions in that way. Out of the Oranges I really liked the Rocker 15 and the Brent Hinds model! Makes me want a Rockerverb... :C

Totally!
Both the OR15 and Jim Root supposedly are based off the Rockerverb.
The Rocker 15 and Brent Hinds are both more vintage sounding.

Elric

Reaction score
Finally listened -

Nice video and great production value.

Everything except the 6505 has a useable clean channel though none of them really blew me away, could also be related to how they are dialed in.

The Mark and MT15 are clear winners for high gain, maybe unfair since they are the least "lunchbox." I also liked both 5150s and all the Oranges (Jim Root was the best of them). Mini recto definitely gets that recto vibe but isn't the same as the real deal (obviously). IRT seems promising but has a weird buzz here, might be possible to dial out

edit: both 5150s have the best palm mutes
FWIW, IRL, the 6505 has a surprisingly good clean, IME. Didn’t bother watching the vid since I have a mini amp already. I know a couple of the Oranges have really well regarded cleans as does the MT15. Comparisons are fun but in the end it is all kind of navel gazing once you have something you like a lot.

Last edited:

Guitarjon

Reaction score
FWIW, IRL, the 6505 has a surprisingly good clean, IME. Didn’t bother watching the vid since I have a mini amp already. I know a couple of the Oranges have really well regarded cleans as does the MT15. Comparisons are fun but in the end it is all kind of navel gazing once you have something you like a lot.

Havel gazing? Haha
Tbh, the 6505 has one of the worst cleans in this particular video.
The bright switch was too bright and gainy and with it off it's just a little lack luster.
Don't get me wrong, still love that amp.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm going Mark here as well, but the MT15 also sounds fantastic, very much like my Archon, not sure how similar the circuits are? There is a certain midrange frequency that is accentuated in both, I found that it makes it great for cutting through a dense mix.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Brent Hinds Terror. Most clips I've heard have been disappointing, but it sounded great here.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
I'm going Mark here as well, but the MT15 also sounds fantastic, very much like my Archon, not sure how similar the circuits are? There is a certain midrange frequency that is accentuated in both, I found that it makes it great for cutting through a dense mix.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Brent Hinds Terror. Most clips I've heard have been disappointing, but it sounded great here.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
The Mark and MT15 are both great amps!
I read somewhere that the MT15 is supposed to be very similar to the Archon, not sure to what extent though.

The brent hinds is sick but it doesn't sound like a modern metal amp at all.
I dig it too!

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I imagine with a good boost, the Hinds terror could get nasty. But IIRC Brent modeled it after old Marshall NMV amps. Sounds like it's supposed to feel like a vintage Marshall with the voicing of a Orange Thunderverb or Rockerverb.

Elric

Reaction score
Havel gazing? Haha
Tbh, the 6505 has one of the worst cleans in this particular video.
The bright switch was too bright and gainy and with it off it's just a little lack luster.
Don't get me wrong, still love that amp.
Don’t give a sh*t about the video. Just saying I really like that amps clean channel more than I expected to in real use. It gets a surprisingly good bluesy clean with single coils. Not gonna replace anyone’s Fender but still pretty cool. I guess I am burnt out on comparison vids.

I’m considering getting an additional LB style amp for some variety. Maybe one of the new Marshall studios, PRS, or a Terror of some flavor.

Last edited:

Guitarjon

Reaction score
I imagine with a good boost, the Hinds terror could get nasty. But IIRC Brent modeled it after old Marshall NMV amps. Sounds like it's supposed to feel like a vintage Marshall with the voicing of a Orange Thunderverb or Rockerverb.

Totally accurate! It does feel much more like a Marshall than any of my other Oranges or mini amps for that matter.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Don’t give a sh*t about the video. Just saying I really like that amps clean channel more than I expected to in real use. It gets a surprisingly good bluesy clean with single coils. Not gonna replace anyone’s Fender but still pretty cool. I guess I am burnt out on comparison vids.

I’m considering getting an additional LB style amp for some variety. Maybe one of the new Marshall studios, PRS, or a Terror of some flavor.

The clean on the 6505 MH definitely isn't bad! With the bright switch on it actually can sound very crispy. I turned that off because the gain got a little too much with the P90's so it really depends on the guitar that you're using and the loudness level.

Which type of sound would you want out of your next lunchbox amp? Maybe I can help you choose :)

Bearitone

Reaction score
Options:
-Ironball
-Somthing from Joyo
-AMT Stonehead

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Mark wins for me. The low end is very crisp and immediate and the highs are clear. But the V35 should be disqualified because it doesnt have a "lunchbox price" lol. MT15 sounds so full like a big amp. Interesting!

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
MT15 sounds so full like a big amp. Interesting!
It absolutely is.

I just got one in recently and IMO for the price it cannot be beat. This video does give a pretty fair representation of the amp.

I tune a bit lower and my guitar is completely different but it sounds just like the video but for me it is a bit tighter and throatier.

I saw a few people say the MT15 is comparable to a mix for a Recto and and Uber and that seems accurate too. I owned a Rev 2 for a few years and while I do not have a tone of experience with a Recto it seems like it would be a fair description.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Mark wins for me. The low end is very crisp and immediate and the highs are clear. But the V35 should be disqualified because it doesnt have a "lunchbox price" lol. MT15 sounds so full like a big amp. Interesting!

Haha, it definitely isn't cheap! I do agree that it's interesting that 2 amps with such different prices can both sound equally good, just different! :)

It absolutely is.

I just got one in recently and IMO for the price it cannot be beat. This video does give a pretty fair representation of the amp.

I tune a bit lower and my guitar is completely different but it sounds just like the video but for me it is a bit tighter and throatier.

I saw a few people say the MT15 is comparable to a mix for a Recto and and Uber and that seems accurate too. I owned a Rev 2 for a few years and while I do not have a tone of experience with a Recto it seems like it would be a fair description.

Of course it matters a lot what kind of guitar/pickups you put into it, what kind of pedals, what kind of cab, how loud etc. It's a pretty versatile amp, that's for sure! All these variables can change the sound quite a bit. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's a flexible amp.

4Eyes

Reaction score
Cool comparison...you made all of the amps sound usable in the band context..that shows that finding the right cab and mic position to do the job is more important, than amp selection. As a listener - all sounded pretty much the same - but that was on shitty porta pros at work. I liked Mesas, PRS MT15, Dual terror, Jim Root terror, both Peavey and Fender 5150 based mini heads probably the most, but when I wasn't watching the video, nothing got my attention like sounding way off..

More important question - as a player, which one did you prefer the most? I can imagine that without the boost some amps were pretty hard to play and on the other hand 5150 III is over saturated, making it too easy and somewhat boring to play, even though it's sounding great. I'm somewhere in the middle - I don't like amps that are too easy to play (5150 III, Engls..), and I like to dig the tone out of the amp, but also I don't like when you need to fight with amp too much to get it sounding right.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
It absolutely is.

I haven't tried one. But does it get aggressive in the high mids and treble like a Mark amp? I'm liking bright amps now, but the MT15 seems like an amp I can totally dig.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
I haven't tried one. But does it get aggressive in the high mids and treble like a Mark amp? I'm liking bright amps now, but the MT15 seems like an amp I can totally dig.

To get as tight as the Mark amps you will probably need some pre-eq or a boost.

')