Lundgren M8 vs any BKP ?

• Thread starter hanachanmaru
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hanachanmaru

Reaction score
guys have heard of a clip of a lundgren M6 vs the BKP aftermath and i just felt that the lundgren M6 is somemore clearer than the BKP aftermath PU .. thou BKP aftermath has more gain but it just didn't sound as clear as the lundgren i wonder if any lundgren user notices that perhaps lundgren is not as gainy as the aftermath with a larger mids presence did help on the clarity ?

which bkp would out do the lundgren M8 ? in the world of 8 strings ? am thinking of painkillers or blackdog ?

would anybody give some good advice here on the comparison between lundgren M8 to a bkp painkillers and blackdog ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
Why not just go with the M8 if you felt it had better clarity than the BKP in the comparison you heard?

I used to have an M7 set, and while the bridge pickup isn't very saturated-sounding as far as gain, it's super aggressive and clear. The clarity comes more from its boosted high end than the mids. It's not scooped by any means, but it has that type of feel since the lows and highs are so present.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
Having highs and lows that are considerably more present than mids is kind of what scooped means. The M series is scooped, but not terribly so. It's still pretty full, and it has more midrange presence than, say, a Blaze.

But yeah, if you like how the M8 sounds, why are you instead specifically trying to find a BKP that's as good or better? Is there something about the M8 that doesn't suit you, or do you just really want your pickup to say Bareknuckle on the bottom of the baseplate?

I do happen to have an M8 and a set of Painkillers on two guitars with similar specs, though. My impression of the difference between the two is that the M8 is a lot more muscly and feels a bit tighter. I'd say it's even a little stiff on the response, but not in a bad way. In fact, if you want a rhythm tone that hits like a freight train, it's perfect. Comparatively, the Painkiller has a lot less power and muscle from the low end and is more focused in the high mids. It's kind of like the V30 of guitar pickups, but with no quack. It feels a little looser, but it's by no means a "loose" pickup. I wouldn't say either one is better than the other overall. They're both really good. It just depends on what you want from it.

hanachanmaru

Reaction score
Having highs and lows that are considerably more present than mids is kind of what scooped means. The M series is scooped, but not terribly so. It's still pretty full, and it has more midrange presence than, say, a Blaze.

But yeah, if you like how the M8 sounds, why are you instead specifically trying to find a BKP that's as good or better? Is there something about the M8 that doesn't suit you, or do you just really want your pickup to say Bareknuckle on the bottom of the baseplate?

I do happen to have an M8 and a set of Painkillers on two guitars with similar specs, though. My impression of the difference between the two is that the M8 is a lot more muscly and feels a bit tighter. I'd say it's even a little stiff on the response, but not in a bad way. In fact, if you want a rhythm tone that hits like a freight train, it's perfect. Comparatively, the Painkiller has a lot less power and muscle from the low end and is more focused in the high mids. It's kind of like the V30 of guitar pickups, but with no quack. It feels a little looser, but it's by no means a "loose" pickup. I wouldn't say either one is better than the other overall. They're both really good. It just depends on what you want from it.

well... i thought there arent any lundgren lovers here to compare with the well discussed BKP.. so i started another thread... to my surprise thanks there still people here haha...

its like this i have a maple neck thru with swamp ash wings 8 strings guitar and my thought of giving this guitar a kinda scandinavian feel to it which has the power and aggression being raw and natural on the tone... being having good mids and sweet treble but not harsh.. bold clear and precise also tight handling the low end.. as i would wanna try to steer away from the sterile nature of the PU as commented.

just as i thought the highs of lundgren would counter my dark nature sounding amp.. but sterile and stiff isnt want i wanted as i want to let it have a bit of feel too ... i wonder if any bkp would be just like the lundgren but not as stiff and sterile...?

i have no idea on how wood will affect the tone as debated on my previous thread but so far from what i believe this wood configuration will be on a bright side of things

DanielLunardi

Reaction score

The best explanation that i heard from Lundgren M8... congatulations man.

beavis2306

Lusts for gear
Reaction score
Hey chap, I"ve got a maple neck-through ash wing 8 that i started off with a set of aftermaths in. I liked the tightness and clarity of the rythm sound of the bridge and the leads and cleans of the neck but found them too sterile and weird in the bass and to upper mid oriented. I got an m8 bridge and it had a much more organic sounding bass and massive rythm sound but weak leads and cleans. I then switched them for a ceramic warpig bridge and alnico warpig neck. I'm extremely happy with these pups. Great crunchy distorted rythm, singing leads and good cleans from the bridge and awesome thick leads and cleans on the neck - can get some nice bluesy/vowelly sounds. Rythm sounds on the neck are pretty insane on the bass but i'm stoked with everything else. I actually learned a fair bit with this set of pups and as i still have the aftermaths and m8 i might give them another run to see if i can get a bit more out of them now i understand it all a bit better. Hope this helps.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
I have a set of M7's, for aggression and tightness they rule, the neck pickup is dead sexy for soloing as well, I love them.

For me the difference between BKP and Lundgren has always been that BKP's have that seymour duncan esqueness about them, whilst lundgren leans more to the dimarzio side of things.

Both fantastic pickup sets, but I know I prefer Dimarzios and Lundgrens.

If you like how the M8's sound, then get a set of them!

')