M-207 Blues

• Thread starter DreamState
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DreamState

Reaction score
First off, holy crap it's been almost a year since I've posted something here.

Anyway, I just need some advice regarding my first and so far only 7, my left handed LTD M-207. I've discovered that I honestly dislike the pointy, reversed headstock with a fiery passion and one of the frets has a huge chunk missing that's been there since I got the guitar. So I'm looking for a new neck. Hopefully something that's a little less....pointy. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GXPO

Reaction score
Honestly... it sounds like more trouble than it's worth. I'm guessing it's a bolt-on otherwise you wouldn't be asking.

Having you considered selling it and investing in something you can get along with a little better or is that out of the question?

To be honest I don't know how well LTD necks retrofit each other or I may have some better advice.

awesomeaustin

hates neck pickups.
Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly... it sounds like more trouble than it's worth. I'm guessing it's a bolt-on otherwise you wouldn't be asking.

Having you considered selling it and investing in something you can get along with a little better or is that out of the question?

To be honest I don't know how well LTD necks retrofit each other or I may have some better advice.

+1

Warmoth necks wouldn't fit without serious modification to the neck pocket/neck. and find a replacement would be even harder. A level,crown and polish would help the fret chunk, but if there ins't enough material you might need a refret. And you could always modify the headstock to make less pointy

Reaction score

+1

Warmoth necks wouldn't fit without serious modification to the neck pocket/neck. and find a replacement would be even harder. A level,crown and polish would help the fret chunk, but if there ins't enough material you might need a refret. And you could always modify the headstock to make less pointy

OP, I can and will honestly tell you GOOD LUCK at trying to find someone to make another neck for reasonable money... I have an M107 that I'm redoing and the original neck wound up twisted - just enough to not be playable. With that being said if I went with another neck like the factory one or one a little more custom it's still going to run me AT LEAST $750!!! So that's about the extent there since ESP does not make nor will sell a replacement neck, and nobody has a 7-string neck that will fit the stock ESP neck pocket OR ESP-specific bolt pattern. I will tell you this much first hand from experience.

As for yours, You could re-shape the headstock to not make it so pointy, but then you run the risk of twisting the neck. As you sand the factory finishes off, it's that much more a risk for moisture to get into the wood and start making undesirable results. I would honestly say to leave it alone with the exception of spending the money and having it re-fretted and set up so it plays a lot better. Even if you decide to sell it for something else, you'll still be better off having the work done to get a little more for it. Otherwise, you'll have to take a hit for it needing serious fret work. Either way, you'd be taking a hit.

I can and will say that these lefty ESP 7's are rare and you don't see too many of them. But if your really that set against the headstock, I would look for something else that you like and would want to play more. However, you CAN find and get another lefty LTD 7 and just put the new neck on yours. The necks from the LTD's are inter-changable, but you'll need to make sure you get another lefty M207 as you'll need a neck with the locking nut to use with your tremolo.

Sorry for the bad news, but it's the truth. You do have a few options though so all is not lost. Either way, good luck and let us know what you decide on!