M/B Roadster -vs- Engl Powerball

• Thread starter SGB
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I just got rid of a Racktifier which is considered by most to be the epitome of rectos and bought a Powerball. I don't know how similar the Racktifier will sound to the roadster but I can tell you that for low volume the Powerball is better. I haven't had enough time with it to decide which amp I like better overall but there is no contest in the low volume tones.

SGB

Reaction score
Lordovchaos,

Can the Powerball get some lower gain rock or 80's metal out of the 3rd channel? I'm curious to how much versatility and range the gain on the 3rd channel has. Make any sense?

Jerich

Contributor
Reaction score
i'd like to add if i may?
I love ENGL the power ball kicks so much ass it is not funny,But and there is a But as an Amp repair guy as Ed Droz from this here board will tell you, ENGL's are hard as hell to repair if any problems arise the way they have the boards and tube bases are tough. On the other hand if you like the tone "and i do" nothing should deter you from the amp you want.
Mesa's are easier to work on and have been tested on the US market alot longer.
so in conclusion go with the amp that SOUNDS the best to you but beware!

I have modded afew Road Kings and I must say as a Hughes & Kettner and brunetti lover Mesa Road Kings cannot be beat they sound so good,with the right tubes an "effects loop Mod" they are killer....hands down.....

good luck with your choice.:bowdown:

Matt Crooks

User
Contributor
Reaction score
I have modded af ew Road Kings and I must say as a Hughes & Kettner and brunetti lover Mesa Road Kings cannot be beat they sound so good,with the right tubes an "effects loop Mod" they are killer....hands down.....

Can you describe this Road King Mod?

Jerich

Contributor
Reaction score
simpley put remove the effects loops diagram from the amp all of them..... the difference is Huges but if you are a effects loop guy it is not for you. The wires/tube/caps these all degrade a signal. and you would be surprised to hear it without. The overall amp sounds better. I have done this mod three times and everyone seems to like it,I just did one of mine and A/B/Y between it and my brunetti ...

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Does this really make that much of a difference? The Road King already has loop on/off switches for every channel.

Jerich

Contributor
Reaction score
you have heard of "True Bypass" switches in effects pedals right? same here!!! you have to resoder the connects between the effect loop post's. so a good conductor wire is install as the bypass making a HUGE!! sound difference, even with the effects loop out there still is a Loop wire in the amp making the connection. i remove this wire and I install a better wire. you can even add a better wire a Hirer Grade silver wire it too will add to tone if you still want the effects loop. The mod was made by myself and another amp GURU i know....

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
sounds pretty cool. Jerich, i'm sure you've done (or at least heard of) parallel->series conversions on FX loops too? i've been thinking about getting this done to my Nomad.

Latest posts

')