Mad hatter terminator system

• Thread starter Corporial Bodies
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They're just OEM pots, switches, etc. with solderless terminals. They just sound like any other pot, folks just pay the premium price because they don't want to solder as much.

I've had folks want me to ”install” these before. Quality seems solid compared to other components on the market.

Corporial Bodies

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They're just OEM pots, switches, etc. with solderless terminals. They just sound like any other pot, folks just pay the premium price because they don't want to solder as much.

I've had folks want me to ”install” these before. Quality seems solid compared to other components on the market.

Thanks for your input, so tone and everything else stated about these are just marketing?

Would it be cheaper buying everything separately including soldering iron and solder?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for your input, so tone and everything else stated about these are just marketing?

Would it be cheaper buying everything separately including soldering iron and solder?

They’ll sound better than a shitty solder job, and last longer.

I wouldn’t say it’s cheaper, but it’s certainly more convenient if you don’t have the tools or skills to do it the old fashioned way.

Corporial Bodies

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

lewis

Reaction score
you can also splice together these cables if you want to preserve the quick connect plugs on any pickup -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40pcs-Du...-For-Arduino-UK/113798126900?var=413973135459

s-l1600.jpg

Demiurge

Reaction score
That's just too much money for something that only resembles a convenience. You still need to identify which wire goes where and you still have to use a tool to complete the connection- that's not terribly different from soldering. If you can play guitar- even progressive metal, actually- you can solder. And you'll save so much money.

lewis

Reaction score
That's just too much money for something that only resembles a convenience. You still need to identify which wire goes where and you still have to use a tool to complete the connection- that's not terribly different from soldering. If you can play guitar- even progressive metal, actually- you can solder. And you'll save so much money.
silly attitude.

Fuck soldering.
Im a guitarist not an IT nerd

and I shouldnt need to master something as old school (and unhealthy) as soldering, just to change pickups

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

silly attitude.

Fuck soldering.

and I shouldnt need to master something as old school (and unhealthy) as soldering, just to change pickups

It's somewhere in the middle, really.

Like anything else, it takes a little finesse and practice, but is by no means incredibly difficult.

The number one reason for poor soldering is rushing.

Get the $20 iron instead of the $5 one, watch a couple YouTube vids, practice for an hour on some junk wire, plan out what you’re going to do, take your time.

It’s not brain surgery.

On the flip side, if you’re just an occasional hobbyist who’s probably never going to do something like this more than once every couple years, maybe it’s worth paying an extra $20 or $30 for the luxury of going plug n’ play.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
silly attitude.

Fuck soldering.

you're literally willing to build a guitar out of a kit but you won't glue two pieces of metal together...

uhh...

a guitarist and a carpenter but you draw the line at IT...which actually means info tech which involves no soldering...

ok..

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
silly attitude.

Fuck soldering.

in the amount of time you've wasted bitching about soldering on here over the last few years, you could have become nore than competent at it already.
It's not a hard skill to learn lmao

lewis

Reaction score
in the amount of time you've wasted bitching about soldering on here over the last few years, you could have become nore than competent at it already.
It's not a hard skill to learn lmao
that suggests I WANT to learn?....

i dont. I fucking hate it

EDIT: people need to get with the times. The amount of times people defend it is equally as time wasting.

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
that suggests I WANT to learn?....

i dont. I fucking hate it

EDIT: people need to get with the times. The amount of times people defend it is equally as time wasting.
my point is that you end up wasting more time and money trying to jury rig a solderless option than just actually soldering components. Also soldering is still super common across a number of industries where components aren't subjected to a lot of abuse. Solderless is limited to aviation and home electrical wiring ime.

You're literally making shit more difficult for yourself, and for really no benefit

Corporial Bodies

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ahh shit, didn't mean to open a can of worms with this thread, I have a disability and it cause my hands to shake and haven't soldered before but was willing to give it a go.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ahh shit, didn't mean to open a can of worms with this thread, I have a disability and it cause my hands to shake and haven't soldered before but was willing to give it a go.

It’s all good. Lewis just really hates soldering, and folks like giving him guff for it. :lol:

I think you'd be plenty happy with the Mad Hatter stuff.

What's the project you're working on?

KnightBrolaire

Meth Detal
Reaction score
then by all means use solderless options. We're just giving shit to someone who has an irrational hatred of soldering and is willing to do any amount of mental gymnastics to justify a more obtuse way to achieve the exact same goal.

')