Mad hatter terminator system

• Thread starter Corporial Bodies
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Lol, soldering is monkey work in this context. Such an irrational level of hatred. "Not an IT Nerd"....but look at my three digital pedals on the floor...
I can see something like this being useful if you're a tone chaser who is switching out pickups every couple of weeks/months.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Corporial Bodies

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Got a 2nd hand schecter c7 hellraiser that needs some TLC, going to put some new pups in it which is another task in itself. Being autistic as well doesnt help much with the amount of choice out there.

lewis

Reaction score
Lol, soldering is monkey work in this context. Such an irrational level of hatred. "Not an IT Nerd"....but look at my three digital pedals on the floor...
I can see something like this being useful if you're a tone chaser who is switching out pickups every couple of weeks/months.

i own 2. And i didnt have to solder them myself

lewis

Reaction score
Got a 2nd hand schecter c7 hellraiser that needs some TLC, going to put some new pups in it which is another task in itself. Being autistic as well doesnt help much with the amount of choice out there.
dont listen to the naysayers on here dude. Solderless really is a great soloution. Good luck with the mods etc

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
silly attitude.

Fuck soldering.
Im a guitarist not an IT nerd

and I shouldnt need to master something as old school (and unhealthy) as soldering, just to change pickups

I work in IT and hate soldering. However, its rare that I'm ever required to do it. Like maybe once or twice every 5 or so years.

you're literally willing to build a guitar out of a kit but you won't glue two pieces of metal together...

uhh...

a guitarist and a carpenter but you draw the line at IT...which actually means info tech which involves no soldering...

ok..

Not entirely true. Repairing computer hardware does occasionally require soldering when something gets disconnected from a board somewhere from a bad join. Its rare, but it happens. And it does fall under the umbrella of IT work.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score

If you've got a couple of guitars you really love and know you will switch pickups a few times in them then go for it. it's a good solution.

If soldering doesn't make you queasy and you're willing to learn basic electronics you can rig up a system yourself for a tenth of the price.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
There was another thread about Mad Hatter that was more about discussing soldering than the actual product itself. Considering the product, it's the nature of the best.

As someone who has the Evo and Ten systems installed in 2 guitars and love them to bits and plan to install more on other instruments, then yeah. If you can solder, then you don't really need these systems, certainly not their non switchable standard lines.

But I will say their switching systems are awesome. The Terminator Ten has definitely made the RG I installed it more uniquely voiced than my other HSH RGs.

Corporial Bodies

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi guys thanks for your advice, I ended up getting some fishman fluence and tried my hand a soldering, luckily I was having a good day so hand shaking was at a minimum, took ages for me to do but was worth it in the end, it's all installed nicely and actually works which I'm surprised about as I was sure I would fuck it up at some point.

GoldDragon

Reaction score
silly attitude.

Fuck soldering.
Im a guitarist not an IT nerd

and I shouldnt need to master something as old school (and unhealthy) as soldering, just to change pickups
Soldering is a great life skill.

I started soldering for guitar projects, but there have been many home projects that also require soldering that would have cost a ton to get a contractor to do.

If you ever own a car and want to change the speakers or audio components, you will need to solder. All kinds of electrical car maintenance require soldering.

For that matter, changing speakers in a guitar cab may require soldering if it doesnt have quick connects.

Home projects like garage door installation, and also fixing electronic goods like lamps, appliances, etc, occasionally require soldering.

You can make your own audio cables. Ever have a dodgy guitar cable? You can repair the connection or remove a bad section of cable.

I have made amp switching adapters to switch my amp head from an fx processor.

I have built home lighting solutions with LED lights.

I have repaired numerous electrical gadgets.

And for guitar, if you can solder you can really experiment with things that kit will not do. With a multipole 5 way and a push/pull, the possibilities are endless. You can have any configuration of series, parallel, split, combined, etc.

If you learn to solder, it will save thousands of dollars over your lifetime. And it takes less time to DIY than to pay someone.

GoldDragon

Reaction score
Hi guys thanks for your advice, I ended up getting some fishman fluence and tried my hand a soldering, luckily I was having a good day so hand shaking was at a minimum, took ages for me to do but was worth it in the end, it's all installed nicely and actually works which I'm surprised about as I was sure I would fuck it up at some point.

This is only the beginning. You will get better and take on bigger projects.

lewis

Reaction score
Soldering is a great life skill.

I started soldering for guitar projects, but there have been many home projects that also require soldering that would have cost a ton to get a contractor to do.

- really? because Ive had my own houses for the last 12 years and im yet to ever need to or get someone to solder anything

If you ever own a car and want to change the speakers or audio components, you will need to solder. All kinds of electrical car maintenance require soldering.

- I dont yet and I was learning just before lockdown. However I always used to fit ICE in my early teens for family and friends cars and only ever needed spade connectors/crimped connections and spanners for amp/battery connections etc.

For that matter, changing speakers in a guitar cab may require soldering if it doesnt have quick connects.

- Ive never need to mess with cabs before and when i have had -its been quick connections. Ive been exclusively DI/FOH only for about 8 years.

Home projects like garage door installation, and also fixing electronic goods like lamps, appliances, etc, occasionally require soldering.

- I dont have a garage and UK electrics are incredibly easy to do. Never need soldering. Most light/outlet type fittings are just held in with screws.

You can make your own audio cables. Ever have a dodgy guitar cable? You can repair the connection or remove a bad section of cable.

- never had a dodgy guitar cable and never needed to make my own cables for anything. The ones I have bought and lasted me absolutely fine since I was 18/19/20 (im 30 now) I go wireless most of the time anyway and only need small patch cables

I have made amp switching adapters to switch my amp head from an fx processor.

- I dont need this because I have an Kemper, and BluGuitar amp 1 Iridium and an line HX effects and thats all I need regarding switching because the units handle that themselves. I dont own or use any amp heads.

I have built home lighting solutions with LED lights.

- I have no reason or need to do that in my home.

I have repaired numerous electrical gadgets

- the only things ive ever owned that stopped working after 10+ years, are like household appliances we just bought new versions of. Because at that point its overdue anyway (like a Microwave breaking down - why repair a 10+ year old microwave thats going slightly rusty on the inside - when you would just buy a new one)

And for guitar, if you can solder you can really experiment with things that kit will not do. With a multipole 5 way and a push/pull, the possibilities are endless. You can have any configuration of series, parallel, split, combined, etc.

- EMG sell solderless 3 ways, 5 ways, toggle switches, kill switches, push/pull switches etc etc so acting like those options are ONLY available to solderers, is incorrect.

If you learn to solder, it will save thousands of dollars over your lifetime. And it takes less time to DIY than to pay someone.

drgamble

Reaction score
Guitar soldering is easy. You should try soldering 500 MCM together while it's energized at 120 volts. Now that is what I call fun. You have a pot of solder, two ladles and pour the solder over the connection with one ladle and catch the excess solder with the other ladle until your wires are tinned. Then you build up the solder for a good connection. We used to do lead wiping, which is a whole other animal, but it's not something that is really necessary anymore. For reference, my day job is as an underground Lineman and we normally splice our low voltage wire together using soldering. 500 MCM is about 1 1/4" in diameter. Wish I had pictures, but we don't normally take pictures at work.

Bearitone

Reaction score
If you swap pickups on a weekly basis i could this being worth it.

if you swap pickups less than twice a year (Like me) then eh, just use a soldering iron.

Also, if you have the cash, go for a cordless soldering iron. I didn’t expect to find it as convenient as i did but, it’s awesome.

migstopheles

Reaction score
i learned to solder specifically to change pickups, i now have mad hatter solderless kits in 2 of my guitars because soldering can get in the fucking bin.

the kits themselves are good. very easy to follow, the quality of the components is really good, yes they are blatantly overpriced but i am more than happy to chuck a few extra ££ at the problem to make it a) easier for myself and b) vastly less likely to go wrong. you can fuck up soldering but you can't really fuck up with a screwdriver

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
you can also splice together these cables if you want to preserve the quick connect plugs on any pickup -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40pcs-Du...-For-Arduino-UK/113798126900?var=413973135459

s-l1600.jpg

These look great.

lewis

Reaction score
i learned to solder specifically to change pickups, i now have mad hatter solderless kits in 2 of my guitars because soldering can get in the fucking bin.

the kits themselves are good. very easy to follow, the quality of the components is really good, yes they are blatantly overpriced but i am more than happy to chuck a few extra ££ at the problem to make it a) easier for myself and b) vastly less likely to go wrong. you can fuck up soldering but you can't really fuck up with a screwdriver

Finalll. Someone else with my mindset haha.
Exact same for me. Even the health benefits.

Last time I soldered I accidentally breathed in fumes and felt ill/weird for like 10 hours after it.

It can do one.

lewis

Reaction score
These look great.
yeah!!

Great find. Someone on here put me onto them (apologies I cant remember who)
Im going to need to use these for my Xiphos swirl build because where the battery compartment is, is further away from the pots than what the standard EMG cables can reach.
So im going to get some of these to add in as extensions.
Literally both ends just plug into the stock EMG cables.

Latest posts

')