Made my own Fretwrap. (Tutorial)

• Thread starter thrashmetal85
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thrashmetal85

Reaction score
Now with tutorial, see replies.

My wife had these parts laying around in her sewing gear, but these parts are easily and cheaply available from department and hardware stores.

thrashmetal85-albums-fretwrap-picture9596-p-20150201-204109.jpg

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

schwiz

Lefty
Reaction score
Nice work! I made about 200 of these guys the other weekend. Neoprene + foam for dampening.

Photo%20Jan%2024%202%2001%2054%20PM_zpsp3nc8e8d.jpg

thrashmetal85

Reaction score
Thankfully I did take some photos. I went to a barbecue and forgot to continue with photos the next day :noplease:

Adjust lengths for your instrument, this is for an 8 string guitar so 25cm of strapping is really long for a 6 stringer :lol:

Materials

• About 25cm of 3cm nylon strap
  • A plastic buckle that fits the nylon strap (I had to sand down this one so it was just one loop)
  • A roughly 25x10cm piece of polarfleece (I show a square here, but I had to adapt my design upon discovering my envisioned original packing method didn't work)
  • Extra scrap polarfleece for packing (foam is a bit too brittle IMO)
  • 5cm of 3cm velcro

Tools

• Good quality scissors
  • Cigarette lighter (to singe the strap so it doesn't fray)
  • Sewing machine (or a LOT of patience with a needle and thread)

Awne3Tj.jpg

Take the strapping and loop it through the buckle, sew it a close to the end of the strap and buckle at the same time.

LdSFAYB.jpg

Sew along the long edge of the polar fleece to make a tube with the fluffier side of the polar fleece on the inside, so when we invert it the seam will be hidden.

GBjRCpY.jpg

jFk8MAH.jpg

My wife started to help me here as I kept clogging the machine :cond:
It is also the final photo I have of the build :wallbash:

Take the tube and insert the buckle and strap as close to the edge as possible. Ignore the bottom tube that's my failed packing idea. Sew along the edge of the tube with the strap and nylon inside as close to the buckle as possible.

floDB5K.jpg

You'll have to use your imagination here sorry.

• Fold the strap in half to identify the sew off point.
  • Sew small strips of polar fleece, on one side of, the half nearest the tube and buckle.
  • Feed the buckle and strap through the tube and invert.
  • Trim if needed and tuck in the end of the tube. Sew a and seal off the inside.
  • The velcro is sewn on the non-padded siade of the wrap
  • The rough side closest to the tube, the soft side on the end.
iOu4LAQ.jpg

weirdoku

Reaction score
Cut a rectangular shape piece of foam, get some double sided velcro. Place foam above strings, wrap velcro around foam and neck. As simple as that.

ThatCanadianGuy

Where am I? D:
Reaction score
Every time I see a picture of an Australian guy wearing sandals, I start wondering if it's a stereotype we haven't noticed yet. XD

Thanks for the tutorial, I'll have to go make some of these. (With hot glue... My girlfriend would never let me near a sewing machine.)

Michael T

Sea Turtles mate
Contributor
Reaction score
Completely irrelevant to the topic but we call the footwear like his Flip Flops here, any that have the piece that goes between the big toe and the one beside it, sandals don't have that they have one strap that goes across the top of the foot and that's all.

?? Is Flip Flops a regional thing (AKA redneck hillbilly **see my location) or are both styles considered sandals and Flip Flops are some crazy make believe things.

Just curious

BTW great DIY project man, Nice job.

thrashmetal85

Reaction score
They're called thongs in Australia. For some inexplicable reason Yanks use the same word for a g-string.

Technically we're both right as "thong" means strip of leather.

vansinn

Reaction score
Won't the plastic locks scratch the lacquer when pulling it back'n'forth?

I knew I shouldn't have sold my sewing machine when I stopped skydiving. And after taking up aggressive skating, I find my pants getting torn all the time..
Oh, and it can be used for winding pickups too.

')