Madison Divinity arrived

• Thread starter strychnine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
wait for it.... wait for it.......

:worth:

:)
good to hear you like it! most of us haven't played one, or probably even haven't seen one in person. a pic or two, and some words of comparison to amps we might be familiar with would be cool :yesway:

evil

vile
Reaction score
I didn't see where anyone wigged out? :scratch:

At any rate, I'd like to hear what these amps sound like. Anyone have a clip?

I'm using a POS Crate now, so I should probably look into something a little better, but I don't think I'd have the money to buy anything much nicer than what I have now. :evil:

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Leon said:
wait for it.... wait for it.......

:worth:

:)
good to hear you like it! most of us haven't played one, or probably even haven't seen one in person. a pic or two, and some words of comparison to amps we might be familiar with would be cool :yesway:

Here's mine:

file.php

file.php

As for a review:

We'll start with the clean channel: It's VERY clean! We're talking almost Fender Twin clean! Kick on the reverb and you have punchy, glassy, chimey, deep cleans. The reverb sounds great but it's a little faint. Turned all the way up there still not much echo but that really doesn't bother me, it's more than I usually use with is none.

Clean channel part 2: This amp has a boost switch that adds a little gain/volume to the clean channel. Pretty much sounds like you step on a TS9 with the gain all the way down on a clean amp, same effect. Takes you into an excellent SRV bluesy tone.

Edge 1: Voiced almost like a Triple Recto with an insanely tight bottom! I like my amps and women with a tight bottom so this is good for me! I say it's like a recto because that's the closest thing I can compare it to but it's definately got its own thing going on. The bass is SO punchy it's insane! I know of a couple of guys who are using the bass almost all the way up because for some reason this is one of the only amps I've ever played that doesn't muddy up when you crank the bass. I run mine at about noon - 1:00 because it literally hurts when it gets loud with the bass any higher than this. The gain can be turned down enough for a classic rock low gain sound or high enough to crush villages and it still remains clear! This channel handles my low A string like a champ! No mud at all!

Edge 2: This channel is very reminescent of a hot rodded Marshall. I use this one for leads because it's so smooth and middy. I'm mostly a rhythm player so I can't say a whole lot about this channel except it sounds like a boosted JCM800 to me. One cool thing I figured out is that if you plug your guitar into the low gain input and use this channel it gives you a killer AC/DC like rock tone. My dad always requests a bunch of classic rock tunes when he comes and visits me and this is the setup I use.

There are a bunch of clips here: http://madisonamps.com/products/guitar/divsoundbytes/soundvideo.htm

The videos of Santiago Dobles are a little lo-fi but you can get the picture. The clips from Rock Solid Amps kick ass and the one from Evan Burck recording studio is a good example of the amp doing something other than metal.

There are also a buch of low gain clips in this thread: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1175282&highlight=divinity

and a video of The Absence playing them here: http://madisonamps.com/products/guitar/divsoundbytes/theabsence/From_Your_Grave2.0.mov

Leon

Contributor
Reaction score
cool. what speaker cabinet are you playing through? i'm sure the type of speakers contributes to the tight bass :yesway:

strychnine

miami sucks
Reaction score
Leon said:
cool. what speaker cabinet are you playing through? i'm sure the type of speakers contributes to the tight bass :yesway:
I believe hes using the madison cabinet. I am not sure. That is my next piece as soon as im done talking to my buddy about it.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Damn...that sounds (from description alone) damn close to my perfect amp...

I'm going to have to take a close look at the specs on this thing...

strychnine

miami sucks
Reaction score
Kevan said:
Oh boy, are you in trouble!!!!
kevan, I am sorry. I broke our four line rule. I will make sure to correct this as of this same moment.

for those of you who dont know this. me and kevan had this huuuuuge conversation about posting and what not so he wants me to follow a 4 line miminum post habit. Habits are made to be broken, but for now...

<^>(._.)<^>

lol

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
Unfortunately, that Absence video is total false advertising. The album was 100% Framus Cobra and ENGL Powerball mixed, no Madison at all. Also, on the most recent tour, The guy who is endorsed by Madison used a 5150 for 99% of the shows.

strychnine

miami sucks
Reaction score
Alright. As I promised Leon, I was going to take pictures of the head when my girlfriend came over and luckily enough, today she did. Here are a few pictures of the amp and my rig. I hope they show what you guys want to see.
101_0871.jpg

"your waking me up to play guitar? sweet."
101_0870.jpg

the logo. You can actually take out the glass and etch out your own.
101_0868.jpg

I like how the divinity crushes my little single lol.
101_0862.jpg

The t00bes.
101_0854.jpg

The foot switch (Edge, Channel, Reverb, Boost)
101_0852.jpg

and theres my rig.

I have more pictures but I didnt want to upload them all. if you want to check out the knobs and all that stuff, I took up close shots of those as well.
Hope these images are what you guys are looking for.
-Strychnine

DSS3 said:
Unfortunately, that Absence video is total false advertising. The album was 100% Framus Cobra and ENGL Powerball mixed, no Madison at all. Also, on the most recent tour, The guy who is endorsed by Madison used a 5150 for 99% of the shows.

Would you care to back that up with some hard facts? Jamie and Pat are buddies of mine. I wouldnt like anyone to mess with their rep unless you do have some evidence. Im not taking a shot at you but I gotta defend my buddies is all. During the date here in miami when I hooked up with them he was using his madison. they didnt mention any issues with the madison head. Just curious. - strychnine

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Donnie said:
Guys, he's just happy to get a new amp and decided to post about it. I could probably pull up about 100 other threads that are basically the same, if not more pointless, and nobody's jumping down their throats. This thread isn't in the "Gear Reviews" forum so why should it have a review?

Because I am a big, giant a-hole. And I am prejudice against tube amps, and intend to convert the world into Schecter-playing-Solid-State-using-metal-gods. Like me.

Sometimes I wonder about this place. :nuts:

There's always the Lionel Ritchie forums. :idea:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice!

How much does it weigh? Until I get my magnetoelectric induction transformers to handle enough power, I'm afraid any tube amp will weigh a ton. My dual recto is pretty light, but I'm thinking that Madison looks more the size of my dad's Ampeg ST Classic. It weighs a lot more than I'd like my amp to weigh.

I'd love to have more tight bass. :agreed:

strychnine

miami sucks
Reaction score
Hey bostjan. To be quite honest, off of the top of my head I cant tell you how much it weighs. Im pretty sure it weighs more then a triple rectifier since I owned one not to long ago. Let me pull up the information. One sec. It is 50 lbs. Trust me, like Lord has said, extremely tight bottom end. Its a nasty nasty amp but what I love the most out of the damn thing is the clean channel to be honest. It just sounds real clear.

here are specs and features for the ones that are to lazy to search :)

Features

* Electro Harmonix EL34 Power Tubes
* Electro Harmonix 12AX7 and 12AT7 Preamp Tubes
* Triple speaker outputs (4, 8 or 16 ohm selectable)
* Contour controls in Gain channels
* Spring Reverb
* Foot Switch

Specifications
Power Handling: 100 watts
Power Tubes: Four EL34 Electro-Harmonics Russian tubes
Preamp Tubes: Two 12AX7 and two 12AT7 Electro-Harmonics Russian tubes
Frequency Response: 20-20,000Hz
Cabinet Load: Triple speaker outputs (parallel 4 or 8ohm outs) or 16ohm out selectable
Standard EQ Control: Bass, Mid, Treble and contour controls in gain channels
Effects: Spring Reverb
Rear Panel: Effects in and out with -3db switch / speaker outputs
Finish: Stainless steel panel and chrome knobs
Warranty: 3 year
Weight: 55 lbs (Packed)
50 lbs (Unpacked)
MSRP: $1359

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow! Only two 12AX7's?! And two 12AT7's?! That's weird. I always thought 12AT7's were inferior to 12AX7's for anything other than reverb tanks.

I'll have to track one down and try it out.
From the spec's it looks kind of weird, but from what you guys are saying, it sounds like a winner.

Leon

Contributor
Reaction score
do you have the ability to put in 6L6's in place of the EL34's?

you should get a replacement glass for it, and etch in, "sevenstring.org pwns you" lol :)

looks good!

strychnine

miami sucks
Reaction score
Leon said:
do you have the ability to put in 6L6's in place of the EL34's?

you should get a replacement glass for it, and etch in, "sevenstring.org pwns you" lol :)

looks good!
Yes, you can do that. Andy the head tech actually uses it with 6L6's.Me and the other guys who have madison heads (Mike who does AR, Santiago from Aghora.) use the el34's. I never asked Pat which he likes.
When it comes time to order one or w/e, just let them know that, and thats it. Im going to do my own design on the glass but I havent actually thought about what I wanted to do yet. I was thinking of writting Strychnine and using the sword as the "i" in the word. Pretty shpiffy if you ask me.

')