Madison Divinity arrived

• Thread starter strychnine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Chris said:
Because I am a big, giant a-hole. And I am prejudice against tube amps, and intend to convert the world into Schecter-playing-Solid-State-using-metal-gods. Like me.

Well I have a solid state rig and a Schecter, but my main guitar's an Ibanez and I'm considering trying a tube amp some time. :fawk:

Ibanez_fanboy said:

He's a crooner. The guy that did "Hello (Is it me you're looking for)". Ask your parents.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
metalfiend666 said:
He's a crooner. The guy that did "Hello (Is it me you're looking for)". Ask your parents.
Parents?! WTF is that supposed to mean?! :lol:

He's actually a funk/soul icon of the 70's, legendary for his band 'The Commodores.' (Brick House! Easy (Like Sunday Mornin'), Three Times A Lady) He is also a pop star (1980's), and lost a bit of credibility (but made a ton of cash) for that role. Most famously anymore, however, he is the father of former Paris Hilton sidekick Nicole Richie.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Chris said:
Because I am a big, giant a-hole. And I am prejudice against tube amps, and intend to convert the world into Schecter-playing-Solid-State-using-metal-gods. Like me.

I, meanwhile, will do my best to convert Chris into a Schecter-playing-Mesa-weilding-metal-god. Like me. Sort of. I just need to buy a shecter first and stop playing bluesy prog. :lol:

12AT7's aren't "inferior," per se... they're just a LOT lower gain than 12AX7's. They can be subbed in for an AX7 in any existing tube amp if you want to lower the gain a bit (and in fact one or two of 'em would probably do some good in a Recto, IMO), but frankly I'm a little surprised you can get that much gain out of two AT's and two AX's without at least a 5th gain stage... Does it have a schematic in the manual a la Mesa telling which side of which tube is part of what stage?

Anyway, that's why your clean channel is so clean - REALLY low gain preamp tubes. I'm actually kind of intrigued, and would like to give one of these things a try now simply based on the unusual tube choice.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Drew said:
I, meanwhile, will do my best to convert Chris into a Schecter-playing-Mesa-weilding-metal-god. Like me. Sort of. I just need to buy a shecter first and stop playing bluesy prog. :lol:

12AT7's aren't "inferior," per se... they're just a LOT lower gain than 12AX7's. They can be subbed in for an AX7 in any existing tube amp if you want to lower the gain a bit (and in fact one or two of 'em would probably do some good in a Recto, IMO), but frankly I'm a little surprised you can get that much gain out of two AT's and two AX's without at least a 5th gain stage... Does it have a schematic in the manual a la Mesa telling which side of which tube is part of what stage?

Anyway, that's why your clean channel is so clean - REALLY low gain preamp tubes. I'm actually kind of intrigued, and would like to give one of these things a try now simply based on the unusual tube choice.

There is no stinking manual! Well, at least mine didn't have one. I don't know how so much gain comes out of those tube configurations??? Then again compared to most high gainers coming out recently this amp isn't really all that high gain. Most high gain amps (recto, XXX, 5150, etc...) of today are virtually unusable with the gain turned up anywhere over half. The divinity is usuable through the whole sweep though I still use mine at about half. It's plenty of gain, just not overkill. Andy has taken extra steps in making it so that a bad tone will be really hard to dial in to these amps.

strychnine said:
Would you care to back that up with some hard facts? Jamie and Pat are buddies of mine. I wouldnt like anyone to mess with their rep unless you do have some evidence. Im not taking a shot at you but I gotta defend my buddies is all. During the date here in miami when I hooked up with them he was using his madison. they didnt mention any issues with the madison head. Just curious. - strychnine

Pete still uses Framus Cobras (as he does in the video) but the other guitarst it pretty strictly Madison as far as I know. They both used to play 5150's but now they don't have a single good thing to say about them. Pete posts on this site occasionally and Harmony Central on a daily basis, he's made it very clear that he HATES 5150's.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How about Jackson-wielding, Recto playing Metal Gods? We got a couple of those around here. :flex:

Drew said:

I know some people who are advocates of doing this with Rectos. I haven't tried it myself, since I really don't have a big problem with the Recto's clean - you just have to tweak it for a while.

Although I am thinking about upgrading to the Roadster... ;)

strychnine

miami sucks
Reaction score
Pete still uses Framus Cobras (as he does in the video) but the other guitarst it pretty strictly Madison as far as I know. They both used to play 5150's but now they don't have a single good thing to say about them. Pete posts on this site occasionally and Harmony Central on a daily basis, he's made it very clear that he HATES 5150's.

thats correct. During the recording patrick had not talked to andy yet and wasnt playing with Madison. He received it a bit later. During the tour since he had a madison, 1st generation divinity, he had it sent in to get modded to be like the new ones that are being produced but he already had the head during the L.A. dates and on.
... Does it have a schematic in the manual a la Mesa telling which side of which tube is part of what stage?
Sorry Drew, mine didnt come with a manual. I could ask for a schematic if your that intrigued but maybe one could be found on the madison website?
side topic
Lord, what are the settings you are running your Divinity?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
LordOVchaoS said:
The divinity is usuable through the whole sweep though I still use mine at about half. It's plenty of gain, just not overkill.

Ok, that makes a lot more sense. I assumed it was putting out Recto-like amounts of gain at the high point of it's gain sweep. If it never gets that far (again, not a bad thing), then having a couple low-gain gain stages and then a couple high-gain gain stages suddenly makes a certian amount of sence.

Eaeolian, I was actually thinking of an AT7 as a way to tame the distortion a bit on a recto - for me, I have an absolutely horrible time finding that compressed, singing, saturated middle ground between the crunchy lower-gain registers and the full-on gain saturated to hell and back crunch and chug at the higher registers whenever i play a Recto. Taking one of the earlier gain stages down a couple notches could definitely do a lot to expand that "sweet spot" that I look for (and that my Nomad can hit over about 1/2 of the gain range, especially with JJ's) in a Mesa.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
strychnine said:
side topic
Lord, what are the settings you are running your Divinity?

Well, mine is one of the old Divinitys that is now in Colorado being modded by Andy to be up to par with the new ones. My contour knobs worked but I understand the new heads don't have working contour knobs. The contour affects the tone greatly and apparently the heads are voiced a little differently now so my settings probably won't sound anything like what they would sound on your amp. But here goes anyway:

Edge 1:

Treble = 2:00
Bass = 1:00
Mid = 9:00
Gain = noon - 1:00
Contour = 1:00

Mine should be back all upgraded and ready to go Friday or Monday. Supposedly they sound a lot better :eek:

I loved it the way it was but if it can sound better... FUCK YEA!!! :hbang:

btw, here's another song just released today using the Divinity:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1183460

(Disclaimer: cookie monster vocals contained within, I happen to love cookie monster vocals so please don't turn this into a death metal flame thread. Just pay attention to the guitar tone.)

strychnine

miami sucks
Reaction score
lol, I dont mind "cookie monster vocals" but I dont like this dude that much. The recording is good though. sounds great.
my settings if I remember are (im going to use numbers instead of clock position)
edge1:

Treble = 7
Bass = 5
Mid = 10
Gain = 10
Contour = 10

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Since I saw Seven Witches the other night, I now have "Metal Tyrant, Metal Gaaaaaaaawwwwwwd!" running laps through my head. Thank you so very fucking much, everyone. :wallbash:

eaeolian said:
How about Jackson-wielding, Recto playing Metal Gods?

:flex:

strychnine

miami sucks
Reaction score
Drew said:
:eek:

Yikes. And to think I thought gain knobs had a "10" on them so you knew where NOT to set them...

I dont know what to say about it either drew lol. I usually play with the gain at 3:00 clock but since its my new toy I pumped up to 10 and it sounded fine to me. I'll try to get a recording or something soon so you can be the judge but im loving it haha. I was talking to this guy from harmony central on myspace who does recordings as a living. he did one with a madison head and he said he put the settings of the master volume at 10 and the gain and he think the highs on 10 also on edge 2. *edge 2 sounds like the marshall jcm800 I believe.* thats what everyone compares it to. Never the less, even though it seems weird that it was up to 10, it sounded good =)

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:

Do you know anyone who has tried this? I have a friend who put 12AT7's in his triple recto and fried two of them almost instantly! They were crumby old NOS tubes, though.

I talked to another guy about a year ago with various amps who tried to use these tubes and ended up frying something in most of them. I'm sure if the amp is built for them, it will handle them. I would highly suggest sticking with 12AX7's in a Mesa/Boogie, though.

As far as I know, the 12AX7 is the most updated preamp tube commercially available. You can always turn your gain down. I would swap power tubes before swapping preamp tubes anyway. You should be able to rebias poweramp tubes. Preamp tubes generally need so little adjustment that one is not included (I've never seen an amp with preamp bias, but I wouldn't say they don't exist) but I think dropping down to a much lower gain tube in a high gain amp is dangerous.

I'm no expert on tubes, mind you, so this is all speaking from what I've seen, not what I understand.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
bostjan said:
Do you know anyone who has tried this? I have a friend who put 12AT7's in his triple recto and fried two of them almost instantly! They were crumby old NOS tubes, though.

I talked to another guy about a year ago with various amps who tried to use these tubes and ended up frying something in most of them. I'm sure if the amp is built for them, it will handle them. I would highly suggest sticking with 12AX7's in a Mesa/Boogie, though.

As far as I know, the 12AX7 is the most updated preamp tube commercially available. You can always turn your gain down. I would swap power tubes before swapping preamp tubes anyway. You should be able to rebias poweramp tubes. Preamp tubes generally need so little adjustment that one is not included (I've never seen an amp with preamp bias, but I wouldn't say they don't exist) but I think dropping down to a much lower gain tube in a high gain amp is dangerous.

I'm no expert on tubes, mind you, so this is all speaking from what I've seen, not what I understand.

That shouldn't happen. The 12AT7 is a lower-gain (meaning it amplifies less) version of the 12A-7 series, and Boogie usually recommends it for reverb driver tubes and such. I can't imagine the gain difference would be enough to "fry the tubes".

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
bostjan said:

As far as I know, it's virtually impossible to blow out preamp tubes. Poweramp, sure, but pres are virtually indestructable, short of anything but blunt trauma. Your friend is the first guy I've heard have anything like this happen to him from switching to lower gain tubes...

As far as lowert gain tubes vs. lowering your gain knob, there IS a change in response, apparently fgairly significantly so.

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
strychnine said:
Would you care to back that up with some hard facts? Jamie and Pat are buddies of mine. I wouldnt like anyone to mess with their rep unless you do have some evidence. Im not taking a shot at you but I gotta defend my buddies is all. During the date here in miami when I hooked up with them he was using his madison. they didnt mention any issues with the madison head. Just curious. - strychnine

I was just re-posting what Peter posted on the HC forums ;)

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
oooh! the absence! :D
My friend who worked at sam ash with the drummer always teased them about how they sounded like the Haunted ;p

strychnine

miami sucks
Reaction score
most def ken. your talking about jamie. I cant spell his name lol. Its not anything new but they are my boys so I like them anyways. its just a good time when you see them perform. I kind of think of it as the way I believe at the gates would have been to see live. If they come around I recommend you check them out because its just cool to watch.

')