Magic the Gathering!

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
No, considering the amount of terribly slow decks people like to play at low level FNMs it's perfectly viable. Turn 3/4 Curse of Exhaustion followed by a Knowledge Pool is enough to make most FNM goers scoop after explainging what will happen. Even if you do it too fast without setting up a wincon, lol.

But no, I have my real deck. This is just a shitty little annoy randoms combo deck for when I get bored, lol.

Boy, your FNM is sure as heck different than mine, in that case. That kind of deck would get SLAUGHTERED where I play.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
Well, two shops "in my area" (one is 15 minutes away and the other is 40). The closest one is terrible. Constantly see decks like "BW Human Sacrifice" and other similar jank. Some days I go in with GR aggro (extremely similar to Jackie Lee's list) and just do really well, but if it's a money free event I'll take weird goofy decks just to mess around. The further away shop is a lot better, but gas is expensive, haha.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
It's official:

attachment.php

Awwwwww yeeeaaaaaaaaaah.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
OH SHIT! /\

Btw, have any of you seen the new miracle text? You can play a 6 drop burn for 1 mountain if you topdeck it. Avacyn is going to be soooo broken.

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
Yeah, it's insane if you topdeck it, but jank if you don't. Don't get me wrong, it looks like fun and pretty good, but too situational to qualify as broken.

On another note, seeing Ravnica+Jace+Niv Mizzet has me PRETTY excited.

ittoa666

Reaction score
Yeah, it's insane if you topdeck it, but jank if you don't. Don't get me wrong, it looks like fun and pretty good, but too situational to qualify as broken.

On another note, seeing Ravnica+Jace+Niv Mizzet has me PRETTY excited.

If you have 4 and you need a quick 5 for the win, it's good, but I see what you're saying. You easily have 5 for 3 in Brimstone Volley.

That new block has me all kinds of excited.

caskettheclown

Sexytime!
Reaction score
Hey guys i'm looking to get into Magic the Gathering...
Long story short I miss playing card games like yu gi oh and such and feel i'm ready to take this on.

Can you guys give me any tips advice or anything?
A link to a site would work as well.

I know literally nothing about the game so I need to know the rules and everything else...

After I do some research and learn a good bit i'll buy a starter deck just to get a feel for the gameplay and then eventually veer off in my own direction deck wise.

ittoa666

Reaction score
Check out some of the wizards sites, and also give the games they have on pc and the xbox arcade out.

Here's some links.

wizardsmtg - YouTube

Their youtube channel is killer because you can see how the pros build their decks.

Trading Card Game : Magic: The Gathering

General site for all of their stuff with a how-to page.

MTG Deck Builder and Community - TappedOut.net

That one's for when your ready to plan your decks and share them.

:EDIT: Here's a good site to buy from, and they have cool videos on there as well.

http://www.channelfireball.com/

caskettheclown

Sexytime!
Reaction score
Check out some of the wizards sites, and also give the games they have on pc and the xbox arcade out.

Here's some links.

wizardsmtg - YouTube

Their youtube channel is killer because you can see how the pros build their decks.

Trading Card Game : Magic: The Gathering

General site for all of their stuff with a how-to page.

MTG Deck Builder and Community - TappedOut.net

That one's for when your ready to plan your decks and share them.

:EDIT: Here's a good site to buy from, and they have cool videos on there as well.

Magic: The Gathering – Strategy, Singles, Cards, Decks

Thanks a lot! I've been reading up and learning a lot and found some of the old cards my grandma gave me when I was a kid (which I have no earthly idea how she got them).

So far its a bit confusing getting used to the lingo and such but once I get a starter deck i'll probably catch on a lot faster.

EDIT- just looked at some of the cards and some are early as 1994! I know this probably means nothing in terms of anything but I think its neat

ittoa666

Reaction score
Thanks a lot! I've been reading up and learning a lot and found some of the old cards my grandma gave me when I was a kid (which I have no earthly idea how she got them).

So far its a bit confusing getting used to the lingo and such but once I get a starter deck i'll probably catch on a lot faster.

EDIT- just looked at some of the cards and some are early as 1994! I know this probably means nothing in terms of anything but I think its neat

You might have some very valuable cards. The game started in 93 and most of the old 3rd edition stuff is high dollar. Name some of them.

caskettheclown

Sexytime!
Reaction score
You might have some very valuable cards. The game started in 93 and most of the old 3rd edition stuff is high dollar. Name some of them.

Ruins of Trokair 1994
Abjure 1997
Flux 1997
Slippery Karst 1993
Tolarian Drake 1997
Knight of the Mists 1996
Pegasus Charger 1993
Phantom Wings 1997
Clairvoyance 1995
Dream Fighter 1996
Brainstorm 1995
Tidal Flats 1994
Snow Devil 1995
Arnjlots Ascent1995
Smoldering Crater 1993
Aysen Abbey 1995
Soar 1996
Sandbar Crocodile 1996
Maze of Shadows 1997
Reality Ripple 1996

I'll edit and post more but I want to go ahead and put this in case my computer overheats and shuts off...

ittoa666

Reaction score
Nothing worth much in that list, except that old brainstorm, but that's only about $1.30.

I'm excited to see what else you list. Also, don't forget that all of that stuff is not playable in a majority of events you can play in (standard at friday night magic), but you might know that already.

caskettheclown

Sexytime!
Reaction score
Nothing worth much in that list, except that old brainstorm, but that's only about $1.30.

I'm excited to see what else you list. Also, don't forget that all of that stuff is not playable in a majority of events you can play in (standard at friday night magic), but you might know that already.

I figured it wouldn't be playable anymore, I was planning on getting a starter deck anyway since I learn better that way anyway.

thats pretty much it except for things like swamp and mountain and forest and things of that nature....

Learning I was just going to play with a couple friends who have been playing a long time till I get comfortable playing and not looking at the rule book every other turn

ittoa666

Reaction score
I figured it wouldn't be playable anymore, I was planning on getting a starter deck anyway since I learn better that way anyway.

thats pretty much it except for things like swamp and mountain and forest and things of that nature....

The Innistrad and Dark Ascension starter decks are really cool. A lot of things happen with those cards to help you get your bearings. Also, try out some of the event decks. They have rares and other valuable cards from their set that all work with each other.

caskettheclown

Sexytime!
Reaction score
I'll stick with a starter deck and hope one of my friends will make me a deck from his unused cards till I can afford something decent geared towards me.

I can't spend a whole lot of money at once (Meaning 15 US dollars MAX) since i'm struggling financially and from what I hear even decks are a bit more than a starter deck

Thanks for helping btw!

ittoa666

Reaction score
I'll stick with a starter deck and hope one of my friends will make me a deck from his unused cards till I can afford something decent geared towards me.

I can't spend a whole lot of money at once (Meaning 15 US dollars MAX) since i'm struggling financially and from what I hear even decks are a bit more than a starter deck

Thanks for helping btw!

:yesway: Glad I could hook you up with the info man. Have fun playing.

tacotiklah

I am Denko (´・ω・`)
Reaction score
Man I wanna get back into this game, but I haven't played in like 6 years and pretty much forgotten how. I need to find some people that play as well....

Latest posts

')