Magic the Gathering!

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
It seems like a lot of guys are just taking the conscription package and shoving it into other archetypes (be it mythic, NLB, Naya, etc). I guess that's the nice part of it, that it can be used in many different settings.

Mono-Black control, eh? I've heard some people talk about it, but can't imagine it doing amazingly well against a lot of the stuff out now. I mean, I don't imagine it doing poorly, but doing decent at best. I mean, its win cons are so bomby it just seems aggressive decks can out run it, ramp decks can bomb faster, and control can just counter their stuff. I might just be thinking of a different build, though. Got a suggested 75 to look at?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll try and get my buddy's deck list. He made a mono-black control deck that just slaughters anything that's played at our local FNM. We're a pretty competitive bunch too so we're almost all running the current major archetypes. His deck just plows right through creature based decks and control decks. It's amazing.

Psychobuddy

edxgxsrfrz
Reaction score
Thanks guys. :)

Helps out, it gives me a starting point from which to go off.

Also, MBC is pretty powerful, I was running one a little while ago. It was very effective.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh God, the awesomesauce!

Elpseth-Tirel.jpg

Venser_the_Sojourner.jpg

These are both confirmed legit, they were unveiled at Pro Tour Amsterdam and Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle. White/Blue Control is about to get RETARDED.

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
Those look pretty cool. Not sure how I feel about "Infect" and "Proliferate". Can't wait to find out, though!

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Finally building an EDH deck. Using Rafiq Of The Many as my general to use W/U/G colors. Picked up From The Vault: Relics and Duel Decks: Elspeth Vs. Tezzeret, they came with some very useful cards for that format. I need to trim about 14 cards from what I have and then complete the manabase and I'll be good to go.

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
Koth looks pretty sick. I have really come to hate Mythic rarity, though. Standard staples went from being $20-30 rares max to $30-50 Mythics. Bleh. /rant

Just got my playset of Lotus Cobra. If that thing hits the field and isn't removed quickly it's pretty bonkers.

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
So, I don't like artifacts a whole lot, and proliferate looks crazy, but I'm still really looking forward to Scars. Just a couple weeks now ...

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
So, what's everyone think of Scars so far? I've onl opened 6 packs and pulled crap, but am gonna go draft some in a bit. Pretty cool set so far, IMO.

Psychobuddy

edxgxsrfrz
Reaction score
I didn't bother opening packs. I went out bought the cards I needed to make a Myr deck and left it at that. Right now it's white/artifact and it works pretty well. Myr function a lot like allies though they either do amazing or horrible.

I might go pick up a couple of packs for fun..but we'll see what happens.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
So far my impressions of Scars are that it's incredibly fun in limited, but it absolutely sucks for standard, because the power level of the cards is simply too low overall compared to Zendikar block and M11.

There are only a very few cards worth owning for Standard:
- Koth of the Hammer
- Venser, the Sojourner
- Elspeth Tirel
- Wurmcoil Engine
- Tempered Steel
- Ratchet Bomb
- Skinrender
- Memnite
- Trinket Mage
- Skithiryx, The Blight Dragon
- Grand Architect

Having said that, there are some other cards that, while they won't be standard viable, will be great in EDH:
- Kemba, Kha Regent
- Leonin Arbiter
- Sunblast Angel
- True Conviction
- Geth, Lord of the Vault
- Hoard-Smelter Dragon
- Spikeshot Elder
- Asceticism (great variant of Priviliged Position for creature heavy decks)
- Genesis Wave
- Argentum Armor
- Lux Cannon
- Mindslaver
- Mimic Vat
- Mox Opal
- Steel Hellkite
- Strata Scythe
- Sword of Body and Mind

This is good for me, because I've pretty much given up on Standard (haven't really had fun playing standard for a couple months).

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
I actually managed to order all the common/uncommon artifacts and a couple of rares (Steel Hellkite and Kuldotha Forgemaster) and added a bunch of shit from my old deck and made myself an Artifact deck :)

Did I mention I love artifacts, and the original Mirrodin and Invasion blocks are still my favorite? :lol: Phyrexia & Mirrodin FTMFW :metal:

Of course, this deck can't actually be used in tournaments or anything, it's just a fluff deck for some fun :D I'm really insanely excited to see the rest of this block though.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll also add that I really like that the creatures have been taken down a notch with regard to power, even if it is just for this particular set in the block. It's refreshing :yesway:

I also managed to beat the missus the other night by getting through with a 16/15 creature with Infect :ugh::eek:

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks :) The 16/15 was actually not 16/15, but 16/13 :ugh: :lol: and it was an Arsenal Thresher which I managed to boost up to 7/7 to begin with (+1/+1 for each artifact card in my hand I reveal :metal: starts at 2/2), then I attached Ogre Cleaver (+5/+0), Magebane Armour (+2/+4), Grafted Exoskeleton (+2/+2 and infect).

The missus had me with 9 poison counters and it was literally the only creature I had left (other than a bunch of Myr's for mana), so I was going to lose. But I picked up a Whispersilk Cloak :D

That won it :lol:

I am honestly absolutely loving this set though, can't wait for the rest of the block :wub:

Psychobuddy

edxgxsrfrz
Reaction score
Cool. :D

Poison counters seriously scare me...especially because there no way to remove them...at least in standard. :ugh:

My gf has agreed to try Magic and I told her to pick out an intro pack from Scars. The deal was if she picked one out I would get it for her. She picked the poison one. Guess you doesn't have any Magic cards yet...

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
:lol: Yeah those poison counters surely are a pain.

Ash (the missus) put an enchantment on one of my creatures that taps it at the beginning of each of my turns, then she put another one that said "every time enchanted creature is tapped, it's controller gets a poison counter".

I won on the last turn I had left (that was the one with the big creture :lol:).

I've got to sell some stuff (guitar mainly...) but I'm actually thinking that when/if it sells, I'm going to go through all the old sets back to Mirrodin and buy a shit-ton more artifacts... Memnarch, Bosh; Iron Golem, Karn; Silver Golem (from "From The Vault; Relics), Sundering Titan, Mycosynth Golem and a bunch of others. They are mighty fun and I'd be able to build several radical decks :rofl:

EDIT: And, of course, keep some aside for the next two releases :D

Latest posts

')