Magic the Gathering!

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
It's not running GREAT yet, but here's my current list.

1 Abyssal Persecutor
2 Liliana's Specter
1 Molten-Tail Masticore
3 Moriok Replica
4 Nantuko Shade
2 Precursor Golem
3 Skinrender
4 Doom Blade
4 Duress
4 Grasp of Darkness
1 Memoricide
2 Mimic Vat
2 Mind Sludge
3 Sign in Blood
22 Swamp
2 Tectonic Edge

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sjusovaren

7-string n00b
Reaction score
I'm kinda wanting to try Magic but not sure if I have the time/energy it takes, I've still got dreams of (somewhat) making it in music. :lol: But for the heck of it, where should I start? How? Halp plz? :)

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Grab a starter deck of one of the most recent sets (2011 Core Set or Scars of Mirrodin), and maybe a couple of boosters while you're at it :yesway:

First you need to decide what colours you want to play as though as they all have different strengths/weaknesses.

EDIT: Take a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering and look at the descriptions for the different colours. Usually the less colours you use the easier it is to get creatures out, but most of them have a fair weakness that is best paired with at least one other colour.

Psychobuddy

edxgxsrfrz
Reaction score
A starter deck is really the only way to go. You get enough lands to get you started and it helps to introduce you to the game. Granted you won't get the best cards, but they're great to start with, and in the right hands some can be pretty deadly.

Out of the current packs I would say that the Blue/Black deck from Scars of Mirrodin is the best. Or if your like me the Myr one...sorry now I'm going of on a tangent.

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
I'm going to go with a different route. If you have a local game shop go there and see if you can have someone explain the rules to you, and then start drafting. That way you'll start to build up a collection while actually having hands on learning experience. Then you can start to put a deck together out of cards you draft or buy, and you'll definitely be ahead of the curve on the learning process. The starter decks are mediocre at best, so starting with drafting and buying extra cards you will be able to get out a deck just as good if not better, but you'll also gain the experience on building a deck. Deck building is one of the toughest parts of Magic.

Psychobuddy

edxgxsrfrz
Reaction score
Or instead of doing a whole draft, perhaps the deckbuilder's toolkit is a better idea. I don't think a lot (or any?) of the cards are legal in standard but it is a good way to build a fast collection.

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
Well, the main reason I suggested the draft was that it wasn't just buying cards, but quick learning experience. With drafting you HAVE to learn how to build a deck and you get all the playing skills as well.

On another note I spent yesterday play testing and getting ready for Game Day. My friend and I played our decks we plan to use. I 2-0'd him 3 times. I felt pretty happy about that.

Psychobuddy

edxgxsrfrz
Reaction score
I get what your saying, by drafting he would actually learn the functions of the cards and how a seemingly uninteresting one could be used in conjunction with others to become a very useful combination....or something like that.

Basically just deck building experience. ;)

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
I feel like drafting is getting thrown in the deep end a touch too early seeing as how he's never played before, but it could work.

Psychobuddy

edxgxsrfrz
Reaction score
^I still say the intro pack is the way to go, but if he had someone to assist him and show him the ropes, drafting might not be a horrible idea.

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
Also, drafting would teach better card evaluation skills. A lot of people I know started off just buying packs/decks and got stuck in the "This card is super cool because it's rare and has a gajillion power!" and it took them quite a while to get past that. Drafting quickly teaches someone that "cool" cards aren't always GOOD cards. Also, if just drafting seems difficult to someone, then there's a good chance that the game as a whole could prove to be too much.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
That's a very fair point. I think grabbing a starter and a couple of boosters, then doing a draft pretty soon after would be a good way to go. It means he gets to sit down with a premade deck and see how it's built, try and alter it a little on his own and see how it goes, then get thrown in the deep end and see how to build a complete deck from nothing and basing decisions on how he's seen the game works from the starter :yesway:

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
^ :wallbash: If I had some fucking cash I'd be all over that. If I can shift my guitar in the next week or so and you still have them, I'll give you a message.

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
Cool, cool. Just trying to get some cash ASAP, and I only really play standard anymore, so I'm trying to move everything else (and even some standard stuff).

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
Well, played in Game Day yesterday and took 5th; out of 10 people, haha. Lost my chance at the Top 4 by making terrible choices/plays against a mediocre Infect deck. Kinda put a damper on the rest of my day, but at least I got the Memnite full art promo, Tempered Steel foil Full Art promo, and a prize pack (which had a normal tempered steel, haha).

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yay! Those Memnite's are rad, and have cool artwork to boot :yesway: Hopefully by Christmas I'll have an actual copy of Memnarch to compliment it :lol:

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
:lol: Yeah I was actually thinking about picking one of those Archenemy decks up (Assemble the Doomsday Machine), but realistically, considering how little is in there that I'd actually use I figured that singles would be better anyway.

I lost a few games with my current artifact deck the other day and have come to the conclusion that there's just too much little stuff in there that I just don't use when it comes out. It sits there for several turns while I wait for some bigger stuff and get destroyed by flying creatures :nuts:

Latest posts

')