Magic the Gathering!

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Been running UB control for a while now. Planning on putting together some sort of Next Level Bant. Figures, I just picked up a playset of Stoneforge Mystic for $8 and flipped it for $30 and thought I was cool. Now 2 weeks later I need a playset and they're going for $70 a set because of Pro Tour Paris.

Indeed. With the number of quality equipments that have come out recently, Stoneforge Mystic's value has just skyrocketed.

Glad I've still got a full set. :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
Well, here's the list I'll be playing tomorrow for Game Day.

1 Frost Titan
2 Grave Titan
2 Sea Gate Oracle
1 Wurmcoil Engine

2 Jace Beleren
3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

2 Black Sun's Zenith
1 Blue Sun's Zenith (Might Switch out for Doom Blade)
2 Cancel
3 Disfigure
2 Go for the Throat
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Mana Leak
4 Preordain
2 Spreading Seas

4 Creeping Tar Pit
4 Darkslick Shores
4 Drowned Catacomb
1 Scalding Tarn
4 Island
1 Marsh Flats
3 Swamp
4 Tectonic Edge

SIDEBOARD
3 Duress
3 Flashfreeze
2 Memoricide
1 Mindbreak Trap
2 Ratchet Bomb
1 Massacre Wurm
2 Spell Pierce
1 Spreading Seas

Wish me luck! I've tested a lot and feel pretty confident with it. :D

PyramidSmasher

Chess Dragon
Reaction score
Well, here's the list I'll be playing tomorrow for Game Day.

1 Frost Titan
2 Grave Titan
2 Sea Gate Oracle
1 Wurmcoil Engine

2 Jace Beleren
3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

2 Black Sun's Zenith
1 Blue Sun's Zenith (Might Switch out for Doom Blade)
2 Cancel
3 Disfigure
2 Go for the Throat
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
4 Mana Leak
4 Preordain
2 Spreading Seas

4 Creeping Tar Pit
4 Darkslick Shores
4 Drowned Catacomb
1 Scalding Tarn
4 Island
1 Marsh Flats
3 Swamp
4 Tectonic Edge

SIDEBOARD
3 Duress
3 Flashfreeze
2 Memoricide
1 Mindbreak Trap
2 Ratchet Bomb
1 Massacre Wurm
2 Spell Pierce
1 Spreading Seas

Wish me luck! I've tested a lot and feel pretty confident with it. :D

IVe been DESTROYED by variatons of this deck man...

Go for it!

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Just FYI, with Stoic Rebuttal around, there is officially no reason to play Cancel, because Stoic Rebuttal is equal to a Cancel at worst and a Counterspell at best. Playing it will leave people wondering if you're going to play metalcraft, ESPECIALLY if you're running U/B (because of Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas). It'll force people to make assumptions about your deck that may not be true, and with luck it will be too late for them before they realize they're been had.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
So, this is my new EDH deck that I'm working on...

General (1):
- Sharuum the Hegemon

Planeswalkers (6):
- Elspeth Tirel
- Jace Beleren
- Jace, the Mind Sculptor
- Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
- Tezzeret the Seeker
- Venser, the Sojourner

Creatures (26):
- Consecrated Sphinx
- Duplicant
- Eight-and-a-Half-Tails
- Enigma Sphinx
- Ethersworn Adjudicator
- Ethersworn Canonist
- Indomitable Archangel
- Leonin Abunas
- Lodestone Golem
- Magister Sphinx
- Master of Etherium
- Master Transmuter
- Myr Welder
- Scarecrone
- Sower of Temptation
- Steel Hellkite
- Steel Overseer
- Sharding Sphinx
- Shimmer Myr
- Sphinx of the Steel Wind
- Sphinx Summoner
- Sygg, River Cutthroat
- Thada Adel, Acquisitor
- Thopter Assembly
- Treasure Mage
- Wurmcoil Engine

Artifacts (11):
- Blinkmoth Urn
- Coalition Relic
- Eldrazi Monument
- Expedition Map
- Nevinyrral's Disk
- Scourglass
- Sensei's Divining Top
- Sol Ring
- Sphere of the Suns
- Spine of Ish Sah
- Time Sieve

Equipment (4):
- Lightning Greaves
- Skullclamp
- Sword of Feast and Famine
- Sword of Fire and Ice

Enchantments (3):
- Oblivion Ring
- Tempered Steel
- Phyrexian Arena

Instants (9):
- Counterspell
- Esper Charm
- Mindbreak Trap
- Path to Exile
- Punish Ignorance
- Stoic Rebuttal
- Swift Silence
- Swords to Plowshares

Sorceries (4):
- Austere Command
- Reshape
- Rite of Replication
- Wrath of God

I've also gotten a few other cards that I've recently procured that I figure it would be wise for me to try and fit in:
- Arcbound Reclaimer
- Grand Architect
- Icy Manipulator
- Obelisk of Esper
- Courier's Capsule
- Mask of Riddles

For truly horrendous shenanigans, I need to find a Darksteel Forge and a Mycosynth Lattice. Combo those cards with Leonin Abunis and you give all your permanents indestructibility and super-shroud.

I was that close to pulling off Time Sieve/Thopter Assembly shenanigans at my local EDH night on Sunday. One more turn and I was off to the races with infinite turns. Alas, then I got hit with a double striking Blightsteel Colossus.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
A note: last EDH I did manage to pull of Time Sieve/Thopter Assembly shenanigans. It was glorious, and made all the better by the fact that all my opponents had completely tapped out. I then essentially kept playing until I drew Venser, used him to bounce my Sharuum, got Scourglass back and nuked everyone else's shit, whereupon I proceeded to lay the smack down.

Today was also the prerelease for New Phyrexia, and I have to say, the new set is a LOT of fun in limited. My rares weren't that special but I had many quality commons and uncommons, so I managed to make top 8. In my reward packs I pulled two Hex Parasites, a Puresteel Paladin and an Urabrask. Nim Deathmantle was an all-star for me, especially when comboing with Impaler Shrike. It basically became a nearly unblockable flyer that did 5 damage and drew me three cards each turn for four mana. In other words, it was a monster.

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm so pissed off that my cash situation is so shit at the moment (still...), New Phyrexia is a fucking amazing looking set. I can't believe Karn came back :wub: Expensive, but awesome :lol:

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
For a while I've wanted to get back into MtG, I tried playing it when I was 13, didn't work so well as no one my age played and the older players ignored me. What would be a good, legal set to start with?

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
The sets that are currently legal in Standard are Zendikar block (which includes Zendikar, Worldwake and Rise of the Eldrazi), Scars of Mirrodin block (Scars of Mirrodin, Mirrodin Besieged and as of this coming friday, New Phyrexia), and the 2011 core set, M11. Your best investments at this point in time if you want to get into Standard is Scars of Mirrodin block, although a warning, Zendikar block contains several essential cards such as Jace the Mind Sculptor (the most expensive card in Standard EVER, it topped out at $100, although it's settled down at $80 in anticipation of the format rotation. I have five of them. ;)), Stoneforge Mystic, Gideon Jura and fetchlands. Worldwake is out of print as well, so finding Jace the Mind Sculptor and Stoneforge Mystic becomes that much more difficult. M11 also contains the Titan cycle of cards (Sun Titan, Frost Titan, Grave Titan, Inferno Titan, Primeval Titan) which all have their uses. Primeval Titan especially sees play in Valakut, the deck that would be reigning supreme if it weren't for the emergence of Cawblade.

My advice would be to start with a less competitive format like Commander (aka Elder Dragon Highlander). It allows you to use any cards that you've saved over the years and is a fun social format that is incredibly popular. Rules can be found at mtgcommander.net. You can play this while slowly investing in cards from Scars of Mirrodin block and, come July, M12. Then in October, when M11 and Zendikar block rotate out while Innistrad rotates in, you'll be on equal footing with everyone for Standard.

While every set has format staples, some are easier to get hold of than others. If you want to build a cardbase for EDH, I would recommend starting with Core sets, Mirrodin block (Mirrodin, Darksteel, Fifth Dawn), Ravnica block (Ravnica, Guildpact, Dissension), Lorwyn block (Lorwyn, Shadowmoor, Morningtide, Eventide), Alara block (Shards of Alara, Conflux, Alara Reborn) and Zendikar block (Zendikar, Worldwake, Rise of the Eldrazi). Thos sets aren't strictly speaker better, but the cards are definitely easier to get hold of. Ravnica, Lorwyn and Alara blocks all have a strong focus on multi-color cards as well, which will give you flexible choices for your General, especially Alara block.

Also, Wizards of the Coast are going to begin selling five different preconstructed EDH decks in June, which will actually include some brand new cards. Also good to find are "special reissue" sets such as From the Vault: Exiled and From the Vault: Relics, both of which contain several EDH staples, as well as some of the "Dual Decks," particularly the ones that come with Planeswalkers (the newest one, Knights vs. Dragons, doesn't include any, and isn't particularly exciting).

EDH is also THE format to show off your foil cards.

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
Just had my best FNM ever a few days ago. Before the events got started my friend and I decided to have a pack war. I decided to grab a pack of Onslaught. My rare: Polluted Delta. So, I was pretty psyched about that. Then we sat down to draft instead of playing Standard. I crack open my first pack to find a Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas. I was preeeetty happy, and decided to try and play him. I ended up getting passed tons of sweet cards to go with it such as cheap artifact flyers, golem artisan, 2 grasp of darkness, and a few others. I played 4 rounds that night and went 2-0 each time. End of the night I walked out with 5 packs (decided to split the prize pool with the guy I played in the finals) and a FNM Promo Squadron Hawk. Best FNM Ever, haha.

Also, I'm back in my Legacy > Standard mode, and so I'm working on Team Italia. I have about half of the deck so far. Anyone want to send me some Wastelands? haha. Here's the list for anyone interested.

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/legacy/21701_Deck_Tech_Team_Italia_with_Gerard_Fabiano.html

Hemi-Powered Drone

Dragonblade629
Reaction score
The deck that I had was one of those Pro Circuit decks, the ones modeled after the pro player's decks. Mine was some 30-something year old Japanese guy's deck, I think it was white and red. I then added some cards from Ravnica boosters, Guildpact, I think. So maybe it won't be that bad in EDH.

...I just realised that it wasn't when I was 13, it was when I was 11 that I tried. Why does that make me feel old? :lol:

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
The deck that I had was one of those Pro Circuit decks, the ones modeled after the pro player's decks. Mine was some 30-something year old Japanese guy's deck, I think it was white and red. I then added some cards from Ravnica boosters, Guildpact, I think. So maybe it won't be that bad in EDH.

...I just realised that it wasn't when I was 13, it was when I was 11 that I tried. Why does that make me feel old? :lol:

Boros, I'm guessing? Could be made into a viable EDH deck. Actually, one of the cards that I quite like from the new set would fit well into a Boros EDH deck, possibly as a general:

JorKadeenthePrevailer.jpg

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
So, big announcement from Wizards. As of July 1st, both Jace, the Mind Sculptor and Stoneforge Mystic have been banned in Standard.

PyramidSmasher

Chess Dragon
Reaction score
So, big announcement from Wizards. As of July 1st, both Jace, the Mind Sculptor and Stoneforge Mystic have been banned in Standard.

HAHAHAHA at Jace, The Mind Sculptor ban. I never used it :fawk:

What decks do you guys currently have going? I have 5:

Generic Mono green Elf Deck
Semi-Izzet themed Blue/Red
Generic black deck (Ive found that black decks work really well when not themed.)
White Kithkin
Green/Red Sliver

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
The only Standard deck I've got together is Naya Allies.

I've got three EDH decks, although as they all share some common cards I can only really have one available for play at a time:

- Rafiq of the Many (White/Green/Blue)
- Sharuum the Hegemon (Blue/White/Black)
- Ghave, Guru of Spores (Green/White/Black)

As Ghave was one of the brand new commanders released in the EDH preconstructed decks, he's only been available since Friday. I started brainstorming on how to put it together, however, ever since he was spoiled, so I had lots of time to tinker and optimize before unleashing him last night at my local game store. Needless to say, it's a deck that it's damn well the perfect deck for me. It's creature-based, it's highly interactive, it has the potential to control the board presence of my opponents, it's quite powerful, and it's a LOT of fun.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
I really should dig out my old cards and sell them, I'm sure if nothing else the sol rings and duel lands would help pay for some of the gear I've been wanting.

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
I have a few decks going right now. By format ...

Standard-
Vampires
Elfs
All in Red
Grixis Control
Pyromancer Ascension

Legacy-
Merfolk

EDH-
Damia, Sage of Stone

Don't care for extended and don't ant to budget for Vintage.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a few decks going right now. By format ...

Standard-
Vampires
Elfs
All in Red
Grixis Control
Pyromancer Ascension

Legacy-
Merfolk

EDH-
Damia, Sage of Stone

Don't care for extended and don't ant to budget for Vintage.

Alas, as I only started playing last year, I don't have the card base to attempt Legacy, Vintage, Modern or even Extended.

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
So, anyone else see the new Jace? Probably my least favorite of the soon to be 3 Jaces. Now a 3 drop, 4 drop, and 5.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
With the current meta, he would definitely be useless. However, people are theorizing that Innistrad will be heavily graveyard based. The ability to mill yourself could actually prove quite useful.

Latest posts

')