Mahogany/maple top vs basswood/maple top?

• Thread starter vejichan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NickS

New solution, problem changed
Reaction score
Clear acrylic/balsa top. If you don't already know why, I feel bad for you, but I can't tell you.

trem licking

Reaction score
No to basswood. Shit's soft as hell... Screws strip and trem posts drift. Luck of the draw that you happen to get a piece hard enough to keep things in place

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
Have a mahogany/maple PRS SE Custom 24, a mahogany Schecter C-1, and two basswood Ibanez RGs. Any of them can cover pretty much whatever. Getting a good piece of wood is important, but I think the neck wood makes more difference. Amp/pedals make even more difference.

vejichan

Reaction score
My favorite players are John petrucci, evh and misha mansoor, satriani and vai.

Basswood or mahogany

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score
Wood, pickups and amp make no difference in tone. It's all in the fingers.

stevexc

Reaction score
But seriously. This is the 10th or 11th time you've asked about wood recommendations. And every single time you've been told that it doesn't matter.

Even the most die-hard of tonewood believers will tell you that you can use -any tonewood- for -any genre-, tonally speaking.

The differences, at dead most, are still so subtle that a change in pickups or EQ will completely engulf them.

Pick the wood that looks prettiest to you or that you have the most connection with.

Because it doesn't fucking matter.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
But seriously. This is the 10th or 11th time you've asked about wood recommendations. And every single time you've been told that it doesn't matter.

Even the most die-hard of tonewood believers will tell you that you can use -any tonewood- for -any genre-.

The differences, at dead most, are still so subtle that a change in pickups or EQ will completely engulf them.

Pick the wood that looks prettiest to you or that you have the most connection with.

Because it doesn't fucking matter.

Although get a good piece of basswood. It really is teh softest.

guitaardvark

Reaction score
I've never seen a thread get mocked this hard, but maybe I'm missing something here.

Wood does affect the tone, but as others have said, it's a very small difference that will likely get buried under other variables like your pickups, amp, cab, speakers, etc. especially when playing metal. Mahogany will be heavier, harder, and more stable while basswood will be lighter and most likely cheaper.

mastapimp

Reaction score