Mahogany/Wenge carvetop 7 build (lots of pics)

• Thread starter canuck brian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Sigh. I was hoping I could save it, but unfortunately the new ebony board is just splintering and cracking like mad. I even went as far to try to fill cracks with epoxy - no dice. It's just hell bent on being useless.

Sooooooo i have no idea what i'm using for a fretboard now. Probably lacewood. I have lots of that.

Giamatti

Reaction score
Aw man that is SHIT to hear, crappy run of luck altogether. The work so far has looked amazing, really looking forward to seeing the finished products.

bulletbass man

Classical & Metal
Reaction score
Sigh. I was hoping I could save it, but unfortunately the new ebony board is just splintering and cracking like mad. I even went as far to try to fill cracks with epoxy - no dice. It's just hell bent on being useless.

Sooooooo i have no idea what i'm using for a fretboard now. Probably lacewood. I have lots of that.

ah thats a shame. That ebony was fucking beautiful.

guitarbuilder93

Bad Day...
Reaction score
man that sucks about what happened to that FB. that would piss me off so much, 'cause it was slotted and everything!

BTW, how is lacewood for a FB wood? that would be the dankins if that turned out!

:metal: all badass builds! :metal:

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Lacewood is one of those middy woods from what I'm reading. I really dig on the look and it's nice and smooth, polishes up nice.... that and I'm really sick of unstable wood right now. :p I've seen some of the companies that use exotics more often use them as fretboard woods.

I'm going to keep the board around because I might say the hell with it at some point and just use it, but it's really nothing to slot another board....might take me another 30 minutes...

Thanks again for checking it out guys - there won't be much happening on this one for a little bit as I'm concentrating on getting my brother's bass finished. I managed to get the neck pocket cut on it, tapered the neck, did the truss rod, fixed the wenge faceplate on it....shouldnt' really be much longer to get that one up and running.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I've recently managed to pick up a whole pile of wood. Lacewood, while very pretty, doesn't look as nice as these recent boards I picked up. I'm leaning more towards the bocote, but the birdseye is definitely coming up as a close second. Thing is, I HATE the feel of a finished maple fretboard, so I dont' finish them. My 8's got a birdseye fretboard and it still doesn't have that maple fretboard grunge. I wish it would. :(

Birdseye

n741495256_4704587_2357.jpg

Bocote

n741495256_4704589_2830.jpg

Zebrano

n741495256_4704592_3544.jpg

Chu guys think?

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I second that! It would look mighty cool :yesway:

Wow, that came as a shock! I figured the maple would have it hands down. I've ruled out the bocote as i'm already using a board of it on another guitar. I'll be honest though, i'm leaning more towards the birdseye again....

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Ok - this one gets the zebrano and the 6 string gets the maple.

Watch this space this coming weekend.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
hehe sweet. yeah the zebrano is madness.

')