Mahogany/Wenge carvetop 7 build (lots of pics)

• Thread starter canuck brian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
that 3rd peice of fretboard wood looks phenominal, is that the ziracote? i'v never heard of it before

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Wow... really amazing job as usual, Brian.
Quick question... any more pictures of that scarf joint between the wenge and the neck-laminates? I'm intrigued by the thickness of the wenge piece.

I didn't grab another pic, but I should be back in the shop within a week and I'll get that one for you. I used about 3/4 wenge splice on it though. I'll be thicknessing it down with a pattern sander to get the volute and whatnot done too.

Sepultorture said:
no Neck-thrus?

I've done a few before but I actually prefer to do bolt on and set necks. I will be doing another 7 string kelly-ish explorer though. I did one a while ago but the damned thing fell off the hangar and smashed the hell out of the body while the clear was drying.

7 Strings of Hate said:
that 3rd peice of fretboard wood looks phenominal, is that the ziracote? i'v never heard of it before

The third one on the picture (i'm assuming far right with the two color thing happening) is a mun ebony fretboard. I wanted to use a normal ebony board but after comparing it to this one, the straight black didn't make the cut. The first two with the really weird patterns is the zirocote. It's definitely not one of the cheaper woods to be using but it looks amazing in person. I've still got another slab of it on the shelf that I'm holding for a fanned 8.

noodleplugerine said:
Yeah, Ziracote's a real bitch, the dust can give you a rash aswell I hear. But its all worth it - Easily the best fretboard wood imo. The feel of Ebony with the beauty of an exotic.

It's definitely one of my fave boards too - hard as nails and definitely has a leg up in the looks department!

Thanks again for checking out the builds again guys, means a lot. :metal:

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I had another idea - I'm using a wheel end truss rod so it's going to be near the neck humbucker.

What I I would like to do is cut a rounded curve in the base of the fretboard to show the wheel, but have the edges come flush to the humbucker route...

What do you guys think?

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had another idea - I'm using a wheel end truss rod so it's going to be near the neck humbucker.

What I I would like to do is cut a rounded curve in the base of the fretboard to show the wheel, but have the edges come flush to the humbucker route...

What do you guys think?

Sounds like it'll look great. it won't limit access to the adjuster, will it?

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Thats quite the shooting board you have there.:lol:

Is that a good thing? I use it also to make cabinets... :scratch: I'm not even sure why it's called that.

Sounds like it'll look great. it won't limit access to the adjuster, will it?

I thought about doing it as a square cut, but there would be very limited side to side. If I do a gradual curve, I should have more than enough clearance.

emguitars

Reaction score
That headstock is cool, reminds me of one I designed for some basses I built about 15 years ago.(holy shit, time flies!)Check it out.
purpleheartbass.jpg

fretless5back.jpg

walnut5back.jpg

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
So I was working on this a couple of days ago and after making the fretboard/neck template, I managed to fuck up the zirocote board. After being pissed I went to the local lumber yard and shopped to make myself feel better.

DSC09658.jpg

DSC09659.jpg

That first piece is "black and white" ebony, but i'm i'm unsure of the proper name. The other piece is just a long block of figured maple.

With the zirocote fretboard now out of the way, i decided to use this ebony. About an hour later, I've got a slotted board ready for tapering. This is stuff has a few cracks but i've been fiilling the board with CA glue to counter. it'll be smoothed over without a problem.

DSC09663.jpg

DSC09662.jpg

That's all I got done on my own work this weekend. :( More on this and the bass next weekend.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
nice work brian!

looking forward to more pics :)

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
The screwed-up ziricote boards made me sad. But that ebony board made up for it... That is the craziest piece of ebony i've ever seen.

Ruins

Reaction score
very nice fingerboard replacement. and about fucking things up.... uhhh shit i know what you mean....

vansinn

Reaction score
btw. I really hate the color of wenge. Reminds me of pressured wood. (ugly green color)

:scratch: Wenge can look really great, you should see the board on a 5 string fretless bass I'm working on, beatiful brownish and black patterns, even not fully sanded/polished up. Sorry, no camera for some time..

Great looking works, Brian!

Latest posts

')