Major Fourths Tuning

Reaction score
Well I recently decided to switch over to major fourths tuning and I spent nearly two hours yesterday trying to find info here on ss.org but couldn't find much. Found one with some chords. Anyone know a good resource for finding arpeggio patterns and chords for 4ths tuning?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kung_fu

Vulcan Lute God
Reaction score
Do you have Guitar Pro? I believe it will change the chord/scale/arpeggio fingerings based on whatever tunings you give it. (I haven't tried this myself)

Reaction score
i did search perfect fourths and 4ths and every other way of saying it i could. and i don't have guitar pro. i am not willing to pay for it. know any free guitar pro like items?

kung_fu

Vulcan Lute God
Reaction score
I think PowerTab might be free. Never used it myself, so i'm not sure it will do what you want. It's worth a quick google search.

aiur55

Reaction score
Try constructing them yourself? I mean, if you know all the notes just put it to the guitar.

Reaction score
it looks like thats what I'm going to have to do. I actually have a crapton of scales i built myself on excel, makes it about a million times faster than writing it out by hand :lol:, but now I have to go through and re write them all for this new tuning:wallbash:.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
The thing about fourths tuning is that it eliminates that major third on what is normally between the G and the B string. This makes it more difficult to play triads and seventh chords across all the strings in a single position. However, it is perfect if you want to move the same shape around, like so:
P4s.jpg

Since the mechanics of sweep arpeggios utilize a lot of notes in one position, it is therefore more difficult to sweep triads and some sevenths chords in perfect fourths tuning. The purpose of fourths is very different from that of standard tuning.

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score
Do fourths based tuning if your playing Jazz. All your three/four voice chords for comping are accessible all over the neck. Scalar shapes are also all unified now. That's really the benefit.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
After using all 4ths tuning for about 15 years I find it's not very different from standard tuning at all. It's only a 1 fret difference on your two highest sounding strings.

If you've already got all the diagrams you need for standard tuning MusicMetalHead I'd suggest not bothering to re-write them just play everything that falls on the highest two strings one fret lower than shown.

You may occasionally find situations where moving a note to an adjacent string make a fingering easier.

Waelstrum

All Fourths Advocate
Reaction score
Fourths tuning is actually not that bad for arpeggios and chords, including 7ths and 6ths and all sorts of crazy things. I actually think it's easier, and it also makes it easier to site read in standard notation, but that's just me.

Here are a few basic shapes for for some chords and arpeggios, some of these involve barring the third fret with the top of the index finger, and the second fret with the bottom of your index finger, which might seem weird, but I think that the ease of reading transposing makes up for it. View attachment Perfect Fourths Tuning.pdf

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
just to note, that interval is normally referred to as a perfect fourth, not a major fourth, since there is no such thing (normally) as a minor fourth

Reaction score
Well I have been looking all over this site for a good thread on Perfect Fourths Tuning, got it that time :lol:, so I have decided to start my own thread. It's just going to be a little cheat sheet with some scales triads and a few basic comping chords, I will probably just keep adding on and adding on and adding on as I go and create more chords scales etc. I'll post the link to it here as soon as I do if anyone is interested. I think Ill start with major and minor scales with their respective pentatonic forms.

')