Making an Amon Amarthish Rig?

• Thread starter ozzman619
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cyril v

Contributor
Reaction score
Just throwing it out there, but Amon Amarth use different set-ups on like every album... a little searching shows they started off with Dual Recs and since then have used Krankenstein, H & K Triamp, and of course 5150s. When I saw them live a year or so ago, they were using 5150's.

Besides that, another ingredient to their tone is the Maxon OD808 which is ALWAYS on, and they also use the Maxon PT999 for cleans and distorted effects.

Dvaienat

Reaction score
Wrong sir, wrong. :nono:

90% of your tone comes from your fingers. As far as gear goes with tone, your amp/guitar/pickups all play equal parts. You can make an amp sound completely different depending on the guitar/pickups used.

Nope, the opinion of tone coming from the player is a misconception. Often people holding this opinion mix up style with tone. If I play through several different amps, I'm still going to have my style, but the tone will be different. Likewise if I play one amp and then another player plays it, both will have the same tone, but the notes played, or the style of the player if you want to call it that, will be different.

With regards to different pickups/guitars being played through an amp, they do not alter the structure or voicing of the amp, they just influence it. A mahogany guitar makes the tone darker and a little nasal, and an EMG pickup would make the tone more sterile and clear, for example.

Shadowspecced

Reaction score
Saw them live a couple months ago, their tone wasn't anything special in my opinion, but was pretty faithful to the album tones! They were using 6505's. Although, I think the majority of their sound comes from the low tuning with the short scale and loose, flat pick attack.

Also, I got a concussion from some 6'6 guy in a viking hat the night Thor came out, at the concert. Pretty badass :lol:

ozzman619

Reaction score
thanks for that video Cyril V, i have been trying to find a video of him running through his rig for a while so this was big help. i think im going to go with the 6505 (or 6505+) and the od808, because its a pretty cheap and effective, i would like to get my hands on a dual rectifier but where i live used they are $1000 used at the cheapest, where i have seen 6505s for $750 so with the money i save ill grab a od808, thats for all the help guys

jeremyb

Reaction score
Wrong sir, wrong. :nono:

90% of your tone comes from your fingers. As far as gear goes with tone, your amp/guitar/pickups all play equal parts. You can make an amp sound completely different depending on the guitar/pickups used.

Yeah I can get some totally brutal tones out of a ukelele played acoustically!

')