Making an Amon Amarthish Rig?

• Thread starter ozzman619
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ozzman619

Reaction score
I recently started a new band:hbang:, and we have come the to conclusion to play in B standard and drop B, my current amp sounds like garbage with these low tunings so ive decided to invent in a new amp, and i figured why not craft up a rack at the same time to just complete my rig.

Im looking for an amon amarthish tone, so i narrowed it down to a couple amps, right now im thinking
-6505/5150
-Krank Rev or Rev+
-Mesa Dual Rectifier

so with those amps in mind what kind of rack gear would i need, off the top of my head im thinking
-Furman power conditioner (kinda a no brainer)
-Korg DTR-1000 (again another no brainer)
-ISP Decimator
-AKG wms 450 (i really hate cords)

but what else would i need to get there sound right now the rack isnt doing anything to my sound (other the the decimator), so how can i get an amon amarthish tone, or does it just come from the amp? like i heard some people say a compressor but honestly i dont even know what they do so any info on some rack gear would help.

not sure if my guitars are important but im currently using
-Gibson explorer with EMG 81's (18 volt mod)
-ESP LTD KH-602 with again EMG 81's (18 volt mod)
-Dean ML79 With dimebucker
-Ibanez rg350 with evh frankenstein humbucker
-Ibanez Iceman with some Dimarzios

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KAMI

Mom's Spaghetti
Reaction score
tbh, I would replace the AKG wireless with a line 6 wireless and then just get an axe fx or pod hd pro, a power amp (if your going to run it through a cab) and a phonic ppc9000e power conditioner

Bevo

Reaction score
What amp do you have?

I heard good Amon tones with a 6505+ and a good noise gate, this was a tribute band. The stage was pretty minimal just a tuner in front of the amp.

It's in the fingers I think, your guitars are fine.

groph

Reaction score
Out of the amps listed I'd go with the Dual Rectifier because I think Amon Amarth used them extensively and they have that sort of fat tone Amon Amarth uses as well. A 6505 could almost certainly do it as well, Bevo is probably correct with the "its in the fingers" thing, you'll sound like you through any amp you play but I still think the general characteristics of a Dual Rec will suit the sound the best.

rectifryer

Banned
Reaction score
Considering AA uses 5150s and 6505s entirely on their newest album and alot in past albums, I would go that route.

Gibson explorers as well....

Strangely, it does sound like a mesa. :/

groph

Reaction score
Considering AA uses 5150s and 6505s entirely on their newest album and alot in past albums, I would go that route.

Gibson explorers as well....

Strangely, it does sound like a mesa. :/

Did they? I thought they used Rectifiers on their older stuff and live. Then I heard they used Hughes and Kettner Triamps, then they got that Krank endorsement for Twilight of the Thunder God, I dunno.

With Oden On Our Side is my favorite Amon Amarth tone by a long shot.

Your pick attack makes such a huge influence on the tone anyway though, so OP is going to have to try the amps out and decide on whichever one reacts best.

Miklagaard

Reaction score
the order of their amps was Mesa-H&k-Krank-peavey (current)

so i would go with the 6505/5150 if your trying to recreate their tone

wlfers

Reaction score
^ The last two shows they used 6505s. Unless they were 6534s..

rectifryer

Banned
Reaction score
Where the hell are you guys finding this? :rofl: I cant find it anymore! I thought it was on their site!

Mitochondria

Reaction score
I am currently running a Jackson sl2h with a Bareknuckle MM in the bridge through a Krank Krankenstien with the 4 6l6 rubys, and in the preamp a Tung-Sol reissue with a JJ ECC83S and a 9th generation Shuguang 12AX7C's in V3 and a Sovtek 12AX7LPS (Doug's Tube Recommendation). Then i throw a Zakk Wylde overdrive in front and i think i nail the Guardians of Asgard tone... you can pick up a Gen1 Krankenstien off the bay for around $500. FWIW.:shred:

wlfers

Reaction score
Where the hell are you guys finding this? :rofl: I cant find it anymore! I thought it was on their site!

I dont remember where I saw any of their old rigs, but I can tell you about the last two shows because I looked on stage :lol:

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
They talked about using 5150s live on a guitar world video. Dont rely on those facts also being true for the studio. Chances are they use a lot of amps in the studio...including engl

sinnersmoon

Reaction score
I`ve got Fate Of Norns sound easily with the setup:

Jackson WRXT with active pickups -> BOSS SD-1 -> Mesa Dual Recto -> Orange cab

Dvaienat

Reaction score
I'd go with the Dual Rectifier. It has the tone of the early Amon Amarth albums, best build quality and best tonal quality, in my opinion. Your rack gear sounds good. I'd add the ISP Decimator because Rectifiers are known to give feedback.

Your guitars sound fine. Around 90% of your tone comes from the amp, so the guitars and pickups you use are not that important.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I'd say, other than the amp:

-Use a 24.75 scale mahogany guitar with 60-13 strings
-I think you 'll need a touch of reverb, nothing extravagant though.
-Pickups they use are the stock 500T, so you want a decently hot pickup and not too much gain on the amp. An X2N would likely be going overboard though. ^^ EMGs will likely be to compressed for this. Failing a 500T, a DiMarzio super distortion would likely do the trick; possibly the adequate BKPs too but I never owned any so can't tell. A SD Full Shred in the bridge managed it well too.

So, the best bet is a pickup swap for your explorer or ML.

Aevolve

Yugen.
Reaction score
I'd go with the Dual Rectifier. It has the tone of the early Amon Amarth albums, best build quality and best tonal quality, in my opinion. Your rack gear sounds good. I'd add the ISP Decimator because Rectifiers are known to give feedback.

Your guitars sound fine. Around 90% of your tone comes from the amp, so the guitars and pickups you use are not that important.
Wrong sir, wrong. :nono:

90% of your tone comes from your fingers. As far as gear goes with tone, your amp/guitar/pickups all play equal parts. You can make an amp sound completely different depending on the guitar/pickups used.

groph

Reaction score

90% of your tone comes from your fingers. As far as gear goes with tone, your amp/guitar/pickups all play equal parts. You can make an amp sound completely different depending on the guitar/pickups used.

I don't think he's "wrong," in my opinion you'll sound similar no matter what you use, within reason.

I doubt anybody has calculated the percentages each bit of gear and the player contributes to the overall tone. The more gain you pile on the more similar tones will end up sounding anyway, besides some subtle voicing differences that the general public wouldn't be able to discern, most high gain amps that I've heard sound basically similar. 5150's are generally sort of buzzy and grainy, Rectifiers have kind of a unique sounding crackle and sizzle, most ENGL's have a quacky midrange while Marshalls tend to have a lot of bite and a "crushed glass" kind of character (describing sound is almost useless) but really, on the whole, high gain amps sound very much alike and there are a million variables that make up a tone.

I guess if you wanted an Amon Amarth kind of rig you'd simply copy what their rig is, but I wouldn't expect their tone automatically. Obviously you won't get it out of a Fender Twin and yes you'll sound different playing through a Twin and a Dual Rectifier but through comparable amps, you'll probably sound almost the same. Check out Ola Englund's videos on YouTube, he has by far and away the best demos of high gain amps and he has pretty much the same tone in every video barring small differences between amps. You need to find the one that reacts the best to your playing. Once you've reached a certain skill level, you're going to sound pretty much the same through anything. I erroneously counted the Peavey JSX amongst amps that I didn't like because the bottom end was a bit too round for my tastes. Then I realized it was just my friend's picking style. I was blown away by the tone coming from a tiny little Yamaha 10 watt practice amp, that's because this other friend picks extraordinarily hard (he drives a 6505 into insanity, needs to lay off the gain a bit to compensate). I sounded similar through my Randall RM100 with the Ultra module (which by the way sounded kind of Amon Amarth-ish) and through my Peavey Bandit 112 solid state combo. It's just in how I dial an amp in. The metallic clank that I can't EQ out of the tone is just my picking technique.

Went a bit off topic. Not trying to say that all high gain amps sound identical because they don't. Amps have unique characteristics and different dynamics, there is one out there that is right for anyone.

To the OP, tone advice is such a dead horse issue. Just try the amps out and pick the one that feels right to play. You'll sound almost identical through all of them.

rectifryer

Banned
Reaction score

Dont confuse tone with technique. Your fingers have absolutely no control over the harmonics and overtones that represent the timbre of an instrument in any specific situation. You cant palm mute your way on a 15w ibanez amp/entry level guitar to sounding like a mij ibby/boutique amp.

Your noble notions lead one to believe that this is the case. I really hope you are trolling. In that case 1/10 for being unoriginal.

Aevolve

Yugen.
Reaction score
Dont confuse tone with technique. Your fingers have absolutely no control over the harmonics and overtones that represent the timbre of an instrument in any specific situation. You cant palm mute your way on a 15w ibanez amp/entry level guitar to sounding like a mij ibby/boutique amp.

Your noble notions lead one to believe that this is the case. I really hope you are trolling. In that case 1/10 for being unoriginal.

Not being literal as far as percentages go by any means. And I also intended to imply "completely different" within reason. I'm not saying you can technique your way from a line6 into a Mesa.
Simply saying that the way you play and pickups/guitar used impact your tone in a much more dynamic way than he was implying. The amp still plays a large role in tone.

')