Making solid state sound good PART 2 - ROLAND CUBE

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

steelyad

Hop Pole Studios
Reaction score
P.S. big thanks to zerofocus for filming and directing the skits so I could actually do the mixing and act much like a plank of wood. :)

Vrollin

Reaction score
Ola killed it with a little Marshall MG15/10, can't remember which wattage exactly, SS combo....

Descent

Reaction score
Can't say any of the sounds were that good, from what I heard Ola doing...he can make the Roland and the Line6 sound quite decent...these were barely bearable.

Tegara

Surgical
Reaction score
As if it being solid-state means that it's bad.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Many guitar players make a distinction between "Solid State" and "Digital," although technically digital amps are solid state. :2c: Just thinking that the thread title could be unintentionally misleading with that in mind.

For example, when someone says they have a solid state amp and they actually like the sound of it, my ears perk up, and when they reveal that the amp in question is a Kemper, then I feel led on, as that's not unusual.

Anything from Roland's modeling line, Line6's modeling line, etc., should be able to produce tones like this without much effort, so I'm really not sure what the big deal is here. :scratch:

steelyad

Hop Pole Studios
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments guys.

To anyone saying negative stuff like "I could get a better tone" or "solid state isnt digital" or anything like that.......I don't care. The series was meant to be funny, we didn't have a global meeting or anything, we just wanted to have a laugh and actually surprised ourselves with some of the results.

Check out the herpa-derp that came from making these....

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Maybe do a similar thing for low-budget, oft derided distortion pedals?
Like the DS-1, Metalzone, Fabtone Metal, etc.

Descent

Reaction score
I liked the fact that he also played it through a nice gustom 2x12 cab which in most cases won't be what happens.

I've made some solid state nasties sound really good in the studio, after I put them through a Never desk and stuck about $3k of analog processing gear on top of the original sound.

BTW - there are still some real solid state amps out there, I think Carvin makes a few and Tech21 has the TM30 and TM60 which are fantastic. Then there's teh Roland Jazz Chorus which is good for a few things as well.

I think most modeling amps now pass as "solid state", although not all "solid state" amps are modeling, like the Warp 7 isn't. I played that in a hired studio and it was dull and lifeless but could take distortion and pedals OK. The modeling amps can't do that.

')