Making you distortion more dense.

• Thread starter Anton
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Anton

Death Squad
Reaction score
Hello all,

I own a VHT UL got the kt88 inside and JJ's and the distortion doesn't feel brutal to me, I'm missing a lot of density and thickness in the sound..the dist is dry like i like it, but it misses that "massive" sound thick and dense distortion.

Any ideas how i can that extra that im looking for?

Thanks a lot.

:shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pathos45

Reaction score
Get a boost/overdrive pedal.

this and also how old are the tubes? kt88s have always sounded massive to me no matter what settings i was using (played with a couple of diffrent pitbulls i wanted the ul for the tone but couldent afford it so i found a cl for cheap which is alright but def nothing comparied to the ul)

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Pretty much all of the VHT/Fryette heads have a pretty dry distortion. It's a very unforgiving type of gain. I don't remember them being thin though. That's likely a preamp tube issue.

Tomo009

Reaction score
If it isn't massive, turn the gain down. Also I only recently got a boost, and wow does it make a difference. Can roll that gain wayyyy back and get a really huge chunky sound.

Animus

Reaction score
The key is getting a optimal level and density going into the preamp and that's why boost pedals are key. I get some really nice cleans with boost pedals too btw so it's not just about distortion. You really don't need active pickups for a heavy sound. You will actually get a richer signal with passive pickups and a boost and have more control over the "hotness". IMO.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
images

Alekke

Octopus Djentalis
Reaction score
boost and maybe a retube, and bias it hot

AeonSolus

DO CEO / RHLC ©
Reaction score
get an eq pedal and a boost.

boost the shit of the front of your amp and boost the Low, low mids on the back of your amp, around 200-800 ish, if that aint massive, i don't know what is.

Quitty

Hates 'mojo'
Reaction score
Could be that the 'density' you're speaking of relates to the gain applied to each band of the spectrum.

In english: an Orange Rockverb has a lot of gain applied to the lower midrange and less to the top end. The resulting sound is very crunchy because the top end is not very compressed/distorted, but also very full because the lower mid is.
An 5150, on the other hand, sounds very dense (to my ears) because the highs and high mids are very compressed/distorted while the rest of the spectrum remains much looser.

If that's your issue with the amp, this can be rectified somewhat by using a boost (if you boost the highs before the sound gets distorted, the highs get distorted more than the lows) and by using an EQ pedal in the effects loop (same principle here).
That said, you can't change the character of your amp too much.

BabUShka

Reaction score
I would also go with a good OD/boost :)
Tightens the bass and gives a great punch. I just love my TS9

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to say turn it up more.

Anton

Death Squad
Reaction score
I probably need a retube, i had it for like 2 years now and it had been shipped from the other side of the world, so probably one or more tubes got messed up.
I'll get a boost a retube and we'll see what will happen.

THanks

CynicEidolon

And still he waits..
Reaction score
Ive recently discovered that there is a difference in sound because of voltage changes from location to location. Sure, in the US, we are 120 but, usually we get like 117 or 118. Where really, amps sound "best" at 122v or 123v. THEN, a bias is needed. Make sure your power source is adequate. There is a reason Eddie Van Halen used a transformer for 220v while here in the states. Amps like voltage.

pathos45

Reaction score
I probably need a retube, i had it for like 2 years now and it had been shipped from the other side of the world, so probably one or more tubes got messed up.
I'll get a boost a retube and we'll see what will happen.

THanks

i usually change my tubes yearly even if they arnt toast just to keep a good solid tone always, then i keep the extras just incase somethign goes wrong while playing ill always have a replacement.

Reaction score
The VHT Ultra Lead is easily one of the tightest high gain amps I have heard.

Nothing can change that...aside from possibly a tube overdrive pedal...but even then

I suggest you get a different amp.

')