Making your own trem bridge? 8 string bass.

• Thread starter LoudFastThrash
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone done it or have some insight? I want to do an 8 string bass (4x2) conversion with a trem. Kahler said they'll make a custom order but their 8 string bass trem is already almost $600 let alone the cost of a custom piece.

I think it'd be a way more viable option to buy a Schaller 471 bridge ($80) and make a custom mount plate and block? Doesn't need to be pretty, just functional.

Either way any recommendations for string tuning, spacing and gauges? I'm kinda open to anything between E and B standard with octaves up or down a 5th and am lost on calculating tension. Thanks guys.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nour Ayasso

Reaction score
First off, F*CK...and eight string BASS, tremolo bridge...

Are you aiming towards a floating term or a standard? I can't imagine and eight string trem being something easy to achieve especially for the tension on a bass. 600 bucks is a lot, why don't you get two 4 string bass trems and hand it to a luthier and see what happens? :lol: seriously if the can forge one out of two standards that'd be pretty awesome

Nour Ayasso

Reaction score
8 string doubled up, standard 8 string spacing wont work :(

http://www.thelowend.net/gallery/images/carlthompson/ct82209/CIMG9016.JPG

Gotta be able to dive bomb!

OOHHH I see now, haha I thought it was 8 separate spaced strings. Well I thought it would be easier but apparently this is even harder to find. Since eight string octave bridges are a lot more common maybe you could mod one/have a luthier do it? Or are you aiming for a right out of the box product? Because I haven't seen anything close to that.

I found this thread on 8 string octave basses so maybe you'll find some info in here? Maybe one of them managed to get a tremolo version.
the official 8-String (octave courses) bass club | TalkBass.com

Reaction score
bass_whammy_concept_final_10-18-13_original_m.jpg

PS: Instead of guessing what Kahler would charge for a custom bridge, ask.

PPS: Ask Hipshot if they can do anything for you. Though with 8 strings, I'd lean towards the Kahler design.

')