Map out your taste

• Thread starter MLI
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darbdavys

Reaction score
7y. - Classical music
8y. - started getting into rap (eminem, 50cent, all that shit.)
9y. - still rap
10y. - rap.
11y. - started liking more intelligent music, RHCP, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, etc.
12y. - while still listening to the aforementioned intelligent music, started listening to Linkin Park and Korn.
13 - still same, but started listening to Tool. a lot. nu metal becomes shit.
14 - Tool is best. also Pink Floyd and some Nevermore (IIRC). when almost 15, Opeth became the very very very favourite.
15 - Opeth, Nevermore, Tool, SikTh, Necrophagist, 'shuggah, Edge of Sanity, Dream Theater, Unexpect, Cult of Luna, Cynic, Bloodbath etc., a.k.a. normal music.
~15,5 - Dream Theater a lot. Opeth is still fav, but DT comes very close to it. Nevermore pushed to 3rd fav :D
16 (now) - Opeth, Nevermore, DT, Tool, SikTh, NPhagist, 'shuggah, EoS, Unexpect, Textures, Liquid Tension Experiment, Animals As Leaders, Periphery (sometimes, love it, but keep forgetting/too lazy to download all those songs :D), Behold... The Arctopus.

now ~95% prog maniac :D

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Thin_Ice_77

You'll never make it
Reaction score
When I was about 11, I loved stuff like Sum 41 (still do actually), Puddle of Mudd, Violent Delight. I suppose some kind of generic rock and pop-punk, shit like that.

Into my teens, it was more System of a Down, Korn, Limp Bizkit. I suppose kind of nu-metal but I didn't really stop listening to rock though.

About 15 I started getting into loads of metal. I was a big power-metaller for a while, I thought Symphony X and stuff like that was really cool, moved away from pop-punk quite a lot.

About a year ago I really started getting into metalcore and deathcore. Killswitch Engage were probably the first, now I adore As I Lay Dying, Architects, Bring me the Horizon.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Birth until ~12: 70's/80's rock/hard rock/hair metal

12-13: Metallica + all of the above

14-15: Priest, Maiden, DIO + all of the above

16: Went to see Dio, Yngwie was opening act. After I heard Yngwie, I got into everything else that I like: older classical, opera, 80's shredders, the more obscure hair metal bands, Gary Moore and John Sykes, power metal of all types, and any other melodic metal with REAL SINGING.

I'm now 23 (almost 24, getting fucking old) and still like everything up there and pretty much nothing else. Over the years I've tried really hard to get into growly/techy/br00talz stuff and it just doesn't do anything for me. Same thing with Jazz and all of its related subgenres, any nu-metal, nearly all electronic music, anything a capella, rap, hip hop, and pretty much anything that has been on rock or pop radio since 1993.

I do, however, enjoy listening to country every now and again.

Call me closed minded or whatever... I just know what I like.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Hoo Boy... where do I begin?

4-6: My dad singing all sorts of crooner stuff. Stuff like Be My Lady, The Greatest Love of All, some Filipino guy named Jose Marie Chan...

6-7: The Sound of Music. My very first album, then random pop stuff like Fine Young Cannibals... until my first real rock experience: Queen, I want it all. :hbang:

7-10: Caught in the whole RnB Hip Hop pop bandwagon. Boyz II Men, Shai (remember them :lol:), Snow (Informer :lol::lol:) and other stuff I'm embarrased about now. But around when I was 9, it was all Michael Jackson. :bowdown:

10-13: It was all still Michael Jackson. More random RnB, Hip Hop, Pop etc. Sir Mix A Lot, Salt n Pepa, Public Enemy etc. First instrument learned; the Organ, so a whole heap of random stuff there too. Got a NES and started to really really like game music by 10.

14: The transitional period. Picked up the guitar for the first time. Discovered Nirvana and in once fell swoop denounced all things Hip Hop, RnB and most pop, but still loved the Jacko. :shred:

15-16: Discovered Metallica. Then Pantera, Then Megadeth, then pretty much turned into a metalhead. :evil: Alice In Chains was still awesome.

17: Quit the Organ to be a full time guitarist. Heard Satch and Vai and realised that music is something I want to do for the rest of my life.

18: More Metal like Sepultura, Machine Head and Damaged, but got heavily into Rage Against the Machine and Scorpions as well as other assorted Shredders... then I discovered Tool.

18-20: Tool, Tool and more Tool. Also my first exposure to the awesomeness that is the local Melbourne Music scene. At 20 I was recommended to join a Gospel RnB band. I did and got into Gospel music as much as the metal and the prog.

20-22: More deeper into the alternative Hard Rock prog genre, like Cog, Karnivool and other assorted local acts, as well as international stuff like Meshuggah, Muse, Dream Theatre. Started listening to a lot of RPG music intensively like anything by Square Enix games.

23: Found a copy of Ayumi Hamasaki's I Am and Love aPpears in my sister's collection. The beginning of listening constantly to Japanese music. Then more and more into all sorts of music from every source possible. Classical, Jazz, World Folk etc.

25-Now. I listen to EVERTHING without predjiduce regardles of genre. :cool:

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
Some of you guys make me feel really old, and I'm only 24 :lol:

When I was really young (as in, probably 7 or younger), I saw some music video on TV...I have no idea what it was and probably wouldn't recognize it now, but what I do remember was that it was in black and white (or at least a dark room), and there was a guitarist rocking out and jumping around, and that was my first real exposure to something like metal, and it was what I thought of as "rock and roll". My dad used to give my then-baby brother and I the choice of what to listen to on the radio in the car, usually between what he called "rock and roll" (probably the classic rock station), and the kids' music station. I usually picked the kids' music, probably because the classic rock didn't fit my idea of what "rock and roll" was, or should be.

My dad also listened to a lot of klezmer music when I was young, so we heard that a lot, and my little brothers and I would dance around all hyper listening to that.

I remember that when I was in elementary school, I wasn't familiar with a lot of the bands people were talking about, like the Bloodhound Gang and others, but I started listening to some more modern rock on the radio (especially after the classic rock station, which I'd finally started listening to) changed format to smooth jazz. I started getting into Presidents of the United States of America and Weird Al Yankovic around 4th or 5th grade...and then, around the end of 5th grade, started hearing the songs "Trust" by Megadeth and "Until It Sleeps" by Metallica on the radio.

I got Cryptic Writings and Load on CD when I was about 12 (Load took a bit more persuading of the parents, since the first song was called "Ain't My Bitch"). For about 2 years after that, I was of the opinion that Metallica was the greatest band ever to exist, and bought all their albums and read all about them on the internet. Through this, I started hearing about other bands that were compared to them...Godsmack's first album, Fear Factory, and Iced Earth. Somewhere in there, I also picked up the first Apocalyptica album, and the Dwell Records "Overload" Metallica tribute album (which was my first exposure to death metal).

8th grade (1998-1999) was huge for me...I'm pretty sure that's when I first heard of/got into not only Godsmack and Iced Earth, but also Pantera, Sevendust, Korn, Rammstein, and a number of others.

9th grade (1999-2000) was the next step. I picked up the Century Media sampler "Identity Five: I Defy" because it had an Iced Earth song on it, and that introduced me to a lot of other bands...Blind Guardian, Lacuna Coil, Opeth, and Old Man's Child being some of the most important. My then-10-year-old brother had also been getting into this stuff for a year or so, and he was spending a ton of time on the internet seeking out new bands. Together, we learned about In Flames (and the whole Gothenburg scene), Children of Bodom, My Dying Bride, Quo Vadis, and a lot of others. My brother and I picked up a lot of sampler/compilation CDs, and I'm pretty sure I also picked up the first Metalium album during that year. Interestingly, at the same time that I was getting into a lot more underground Metal, I was also listening to a lot of nu-metal, and had no problem with following up a Blind Guardian, Overkill, Slayer, or other real Metal CD with something like Coal Chamber, Kittie, or Disturbed. You can't really say that about a lot of metalheads that I know.

After that, things pretty much just kept expanding in the same general way, although I got out of most of the nu-metal type stuff I listened to in the late '90s. I had various friends and teachers introduce me to a lot of bands and styles, like some older progressive rock, more obscure power metal, and studying music really opened my eyes and ears to a lot of "classical" (actual stylistic period being ignored here) music...while at the same time, turning me off to a lot of jazz and blues type stuff.

Obviously things are a lot more complex than the already-too-detailed mass of words I've just written, but I'd say I covered most of the important parts.

_detox

lurkin'.
Reaction score
I, like most, started with a few "gateway" bands then branched out into a more diverse taste. My gateways were Linkin Park, Rammstein, Marilyn Manson, etc. For the first few years of my musical exploration, my taste stayed pretty similar to my friends', because we were all getting into it at around the same time. After that though, we began to hone in on different genres that we appreciated more. I started getting into things like progressive metal, power metal, melodeath, etc. For the longest time I was into almost exclusively European metal of all kinds.

Then I would hear some electronica songs in video games and dig those. I thought that trance and house and drum and bass was all gimmicky at first. To this day, the whole sphere of electronic music interests me the most. It's like if you're not brought up in an electronic-friendly environment, it takes a LONG time to fully begin to scratch the surface of all the subgenres.

I've found a happy medium between electronic stuff and metal, and that is still my favorite niche. But lately, I've just been listening to a lot. I'm too impatient to get into most progressive metal now. :lol:

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
Age 1-16: I only listen to classical. Never actually heard anything else bar one Offspring song, and one Limp Bizkit song

Age 16-18: Discovered Numetal. KoRn, Linkin Park, American Head Charge, Limp Bizkit and Slipknot all had regular rotating spots in my discman.

Age 17-18: Started getting into industrial music as well. 16volt, Skinny Puppy and KMFDM were the ones that started that ball rolling.

Age 18-now: Everything i listened to before, plus much, much more. Way more into the Industrial, still love the energy of nu-metal, and my taste is even widening into some black/death/math/whatthefuck metal too :yesway: EDIT: I also still have a real soft spot for Classical too ;)

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
<13 Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Ozzy (whatever my mum had on the radio in the car, not really into music that m much)
14-15 Sabbath, Ozzy, Floyd, Rob Zombie (actually into music now)
16 Add Metallica, Iced Earth and Tool to the musical soup, simmering over angst until it thickens
17-20 Meshuggah, Nile, Opeth, Dimmu, Various Death Metal Bands
Now Too much weird ass shit to list, but genre wise Shoegaze, Noise Rock, Contemporary Classical, Grindcore

EDIT: Forgot to add that while I was 5-7 I watched Fantasia almost every day.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Damn.

I remember liking Top 40 stuff before 9th grade.
8th grade: Heard Megadeth (Countdown To Extinction) and loved it
10th-11th: went through a hip hop/rap phase
12th: got into Pantera, White Zombie, and 311.

I've pretty much gotten heavier and heavier ever since. Got big into "nu-metal" from 1998-2002 or so.

zackkynapalm

Reaction score
as I progressed, I never STOPPED listening to any of bands named btw.

Day of birth-first korn album
age 0 through age 6-Deftones, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, KoRn, slipknot, Tool
age 7 through 9-40 below summer, Boyhitscar, Hed P.E., Cave In, Poison the Well, From Autum to ashes, funeral for a friend, Hatebreed, Mudvayne, PANTERA, Static-X,
age 10 through 12-The Bled, Lamb of God, Chimeira, Machine head, Fear Factory, Devildriver, Esoteric, Fall of troy, God Forbid, Killswitch Engage, Misery Signals, Norma Jean, Pelican, Strapping Young Lad,Underoath, Unearth, and more
age 13 through 15-Tool, Misery Signals, Bulb/Periphery, Between the buried and me, Opeth, Animals as leaders, deftones, The Esoteric, Meshuggah, Underoath, hopesfall, Animals as leaders, Nine Inch Nails, Architects, and some more.

and this is JUST the metal. If I added everything, this would be a much bigger list.

BlindingLight7

Needs moar Gear.....
Reaction score
going by age...

10-generic mtv hip hop
11-alternative rock radio bullshit
12-mudvayne/godsmack
13-slipknot(basicly all i listened to)
14-slayer/disturbed/pantera/necrophagist/nile
15-dethklok/korn/deathcore/chimaira
16-behemoth/cannibal corpse/meshuggah/black metal.

signalgrey

Ambiente Savante
Reaction score
now to break the mold

late 80's-90's The Cure, U2 and the Smashing Pumpkins
Early 90's - Smashing Pumpkins, Stabbing Westward and The Pixies, Rancid, OP:IV, Radiohead
Mid 90's- My Bloody Valentine, Strung out, Pitch Shifter, Minor Threat and Fugazi
Later 90's - Snapcase, Sick of it All, Fugazi, Big Wig, Strung Out, Cave-In
Early 00's - Smashing Pumpkins, Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, Mono, Isis, Eastern Youth
Mid 00's - Isis, Jesu, Cave In, Mastodon, Mono, Envy
Now - Textures, Jesu, Radiohead, Eastern Youth, Fugazi, Mastodon, Isis, Aereogramme, Biffy Clyro, The Streets

sense...i make none

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
You're officially the ss.org freak. :lol:

Totally kidding.

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
as I progressed, I never STOPPED listening to any of bands named btw.

Day of birth-first korn album
age 0 through age 6-Deftones, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, KoRn, slipknot, Tool
age 7 through 9-40 below summer, Boyhitscar, Hed P.E., Cave In, Poison the Well, From Autum to ashes, funeral for a friend, Hatebreed, Mudvayne, PANTERA, Static-X,
age 10 through 12-The Bled, Lamb of God, Chimeira, Machine head, Fear Factory, Devildriver, Esoteric, Fall of troy, God Forbid, Killswitch Engage, Misery Signals, Norma Jean, Pelican, Strapping Young Lad,Underoath, Unearth, and more
age 13 through 15-Tool, Misery Signals, Bulb/Periphery, Between the buried and me, Opeth, Animals as leaders, deftones, The Esoteric, Meshuggah, Underoath, hopesfall, Animals as leaders, Nine Inch Nails, Architects, and some more.

and this is JUST the metal. If I added everything, this would be a much bigger list.

Damn man, I think you might be the youngest one in here so far. :lol:

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
When I first began to like music, I was mostly into generic indie rock - Kaiser Chiefs, Snow Patrol, Coldplay. There's not much to tell, here. I guess that most of my like for these bands came from their heavy radio play.

My uncle takes a look at my iTunes library, and voices his disgust at the lack of Pink Floyd. He gives me their entire back catalogue, and I can't stop listening to it. This inspires me to check out more progressive rock, such as Rush, Emerson, Lake and Palmer and King Crimson.

Eventually, I hear about Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree and other modern progressive metal bands. I check out "Octavarium," and "Damnation" and begin my progressive metal obcession. Nightwish and Symphony X also materialise around this time. Eventually, I muster up the courage to listen to Opeth's heavier material, and I fall in love. From there, I diverse into a whole host of metal subgenres. Now, at the age of 17, Iron Maiden, Opeth, In Flames, Children of Bodom, Porcupine Tree and Meshuggah are currently my favourites. :)

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
<9 Zeppelin, Sabbath, Purple, Floyd, Budgie, Captain Beyond

10-12 Guns N Roses, Megadeth, Metallica, Nirvana
13 Dream Theater, Slayer, Meshhuggah, Iron Maiden, Helloween, Anthrax
14 In Flames, Arch Enemy, At The Gates, Dissection, Korn, Fear Factory
15 Alice In Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Pantera
16 The Haunted, Entombed, Death, The Crown, Dismember, Machine Head, Tool

16-26 more towards technical and experimental stuff, like Cynic, SGM, Ephel Duath, SoP, Necrophagist etc.

zackkynapalm

Reaction score
Damn man, I think you might be the youngest one in here so far. :lol:

Yeah, I'm 14. You wouldn't know it had I not told you, even in person and conversation.

Dude, my dad is the reason why I listen to, love, and create music. I pretty much give him all credit. and he supports the hell out of me!

He got me into all of the bands up until recently. now I'm showing him bands like Animals as leaders, Periphery, Meshuggah, Textures, Oh Sleeper, and a bunch of other shit.

if you want to hear some of the stuff I've written, go here. It's not the djentsons the whole time-I swear. :lol:

Zack Hames (new song) on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

')