Marc Okubo now with Kiesel?

• Thread starter QuantumCybin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cip 123

Reaction score
No hate on Kiesel. I dig the specs on this especially, but their inline headstock looks cheapy to me
Isn't this inline headstock a Dean rip-off? Could be why it looks cheapy if you associate it with that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think the headstock is fine. :shrug:

I also still think that the "K Series" is one of the best designs they have, I would just never pay twice as much for it.

Womb raider

Drink from the goblet, the goblet of gore
Reaction score
Yea he had some of the coolest soloists, I'm a big fan of the pastel variety.
A little off topic, but it looks like Jackson signed Brandon Ellis of TBDM so that will be cool what they cook up.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
For me, I don't care for the optional Vader-style bevels on the Kiesel. I think it makes how the body comes together, at the neck, look off-balance to me. I think I'd actually like it much more if it had the "standard" squared off perimeter edges. It would look a bit more like the soloist, especially with this model's new body. This is Kiesel's DC700 which just got re-designed (along with the DC600) to have a flatter bottom, which is more like the Soloist, but also longer upper horn, both of which, when the body hangs on a strap, will bring the nut in closer. It's effectively the body they've been using with the longer scale DC7X (which they eliminated as a stand-alone model and just made it the 27" scale option to the DC700) and the DC800.

Last edited:

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Man, Jackson missed out on the signature series of a lifetime, Marcs solid pink Soloists are iconic. But I can't blame him for making the switch, going with Kiesel is probably far more lucrative for him and he's talked a lot about how hard it is to break even in a band like Veil of Maya and how they intentionally went with a more mainstream sound on Matriarch to be able to land higher profile gigs.

oracles

Reaction score
Man, Jackson missed out on the signature series of a lifetime, Marcs solid pink Soloists are iconic.

Hardly. In djent circles, sure. Outside of that, barely anyone knows who he is, giving him a sig model wouldn't have been a smart move, which is why it never happened. Switching to Kiesel because you're salty is a classic "bite your nose off to spite your face" move.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Hardly. In djent circles, sure. Outside of that, barely anyone knows who he is, giving him a sig model wouldn't have been a smart move, which is why it never happened. Switching to Kiesel because you're salty is a classic "bite your nose off to spite your face" move.
You don't need to know the guy or his music to buy his gear, it's not like every single person who picks up a Mark Tremonti baritone PRS are diehard Creed or Alter Bridge fans. Besides, there are way more questionable artists who have gotten a signature guitar.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jackson, and more specifically FMIC, didn't not give him a sig. out of spite. They likely weighed the options and chose not to.

As great spec'd as his sigs were, and I'd certainly be interested as someone who has wanted a USA Soloist 7 with trem, I'm not sure how well they'd sell overall. The Misha seems to be doing well, but there's a lot more brand power there.

It seems like he just wanted more short term returns. Which is perfectly fine. Dudes gotta eat.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Yup, it's pretty silly to think that Jackson didn't give him a sig to spite him but I still think it would have done better than a lot of other artist sigs, especially if they'd offer it in more flat color than just pink.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yup, it's pretty silly to think that Jackson didn't give him a sig to spite him but I still think it would have done better than a lot of other artist sigs, especially if they'd offer it in more flat color than just pink.

Wouldn't it come in the colors he wants, like pink?

I get it, I want something pretty close to what he spec'd, but it's not like him leaving does anything to the chances of that happening.

cip 123

Reaction score
Well there is more demand for the 80's kinda colours nowadays at least from what I've seen. A pink Single pup Soloist could've actually been a good seller if they kept the sig stuff to just a truss rod cover or back of the headstock.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well there is more demand for the 80's kinda colours nowadays at least from what I've seen. A pink Single pup Soloist could've actually been a good seller if they kept the sig stuff to just a truss rod cover or back of the headstock.

Is there though? On guitars in this price range?

I know there's a lot of forum interest, but does that translate into real sales?

Where are all the $3k bright color production 7 guitars?

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
Wouldn't it come in the colors he wants, like pink?

I get it, I want something pretty close to what he spec'd, but it's not like him leaving does anything to the chances of that happening.
Well yeah it'd come in pink, but if they want to sell more models then they could offer it in more colors to appeal to the people who aren't quite as flamboyant as Marc.

Doesn't really matter now though, but it's a shame since his Soloists are some of my favorite guitars ever. This and the pink model John Mayer played

tumblr_nsb1dz1qRj1texqglo5_1280.jpg

cip 123

Reaction score
Is there though? On guitars in this price range?

I know there's a lot of forum interest, but does that translate into real sales?

Where are all the $3k bright color production 7 guitars?
I just meant with Charvel doing a bit more, sig model for Satchel too. Ibanez reissuing the 550, Schecter with the Sun valley Shredders. Jackson even doing that sl4x reissue thing.

')