Mark Bailey : Guitar Design online course : 83% off this week

tssb

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to bring it to everyone's attention that luthier Mark Bailey has started a new online course on Udemy.com on the topic of "How to design you own Guitar".

The course is being offered at 83% off this week, or £10 / $16. Afterwards, it will be £58 / $99. I for one have already enrolled :shred:

Support an appreciated luthier and learn new stuff, all at a great price!

For the curious, here's the list of lecture videos, ranging from 2 minutes to 30m.

Section 1 - How to make a working drawing
Lecture 1: Promo
Lecture 2: Introduction
Lecture 3: Guitar Anatomy
Lecture 4: Tools for Drawing
Lecture 5: Drawing Techniques
Lecture 6: The drawing process - an overview

Section 2 - Making the Working Drawing
Lecture 7: Mark the centreline
Lecture 8: Mark the Nut
Lecture 9: Mark the Scale length
Lecture 10: Marking the bridge and fretboard
Lecture 11: Headstock
Lecture 12: Mark the pickups and tracing
Lecture 13: Mark the Body shape
Lecture 14: Mark the Controls and Electrics

Section 3 - Final Stages
Lecture 15: Body Style
Lecture 16: Bits and Bobs - Strap pins, and inlays
Lecture 17: Final check
Lecture 18: Final Summary of Design Process

Section 4 - Bonus Lectures and Optional Extras
Lecture 19: Wood
Lecture 20: Neck Join Styles
Lecture 21: Parallel Headstock Design
Lecture 22: Truss Rods
Lecture 23: Frets
Lecture 24: Guitar Bridge options
Lecture 25: Intonation
Lecture 26: Pick Ups
Lecture 27: Binding
Lecture 28: Finishes

Section 5 - Resources
Lecture 29: Patterns
Lecture 30: Summary of links and other resources

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

drgordonfreeman

On vacation
Reaction score
Awesome! Just signed up.

All that for $16?! I mean, my lunch tomorrow will cost more than that.

JuliusJahn

Luthier
Reaction score
I've already designed my fair share of guitars....but am tempted just to see how others do it, and there are probably some tricks of the trade in there as well.

Worst case scenario, I get 2 hours of entertainment and some example headstocks and control cavities, which I do have a personal struggle with planning out.

Edit: Coughed up the 18$ CAD, I'll let you all know tomorrow how it goes.

EDIT2: Will review as I watch

• Section 1
  • Lecture 1: Promo - you can see this for free already
  • Lecture 2: Introduction - hi there ho there
  • Lecture 3: Guitar Anatomy - basic lingo to get even the newest of people to know what he's talking about. Not necessary for any player for more than 2 months.
  • Lecture 4: Tools for Drawing - pencil, ruler, etc etc
  • Lecture 5: Drawing Techniques - how to use a ruler, basically. Grade 3 stuff
  • Lecture 6: The drawing process - how to actually draw your life size drawing. Decent tips, all of which I already knew. Bridge humbucker apparently starts 20mm from scale. You could very well use this to answer many forum questions, and if this was the only one to watch, it'd be this (so far)

AxeHappy

Reaction score
Just bought it. Sixteen bucks? I spend more than that when buying strings, and any knowledge about the guitar is good in my books.

tssb

Reaction score
For those that signed up, post this on your social network of choice and get a PDF of the upcoming "Build a guitar" lesson.

https://www.udemy.com/how-to-design-your-own-guitar/?couponCode=Bailey+Builder+Friend+discount

Same as before, it gives people the $16 deal, so all your friends can get it too.

As for the course itself, I've watched all of it and I personally liked it. Yes, experienced builders might find they know most of the stuff, but even then there are little hidden gems of knowledge.
For people that have never built/designed a guitar before, it's a must and very well explained. The drawing techniques section might sound like Grade 3, but remember the vast majority of the population cannot draw (properly), so I consider this section added value for beginners.

Also, Mark is committed to making the course even better, so he's already working on new lectures to add to the course as per people's suggestions. I'm looking forward to the "Wood" section :).

russmuller

Cramblin'
Reaction score
I'm about half way through it. I think it's quite good so far. Sometimes the instructions can seem simplistic, and it's all presented at a pretty fast pace, but there are lots of good pointers.