Mark iv 85w vs blackstar 200w

Ashofgod

Reaction score
Ok, long dtory short, i now own a blackstar 200w, and mesa mark 4. i thought before i sell the blackstar, it would be fun to do a side by side comparison.Sadly, there was no comparison. The mark 4 anihilates the blackstar on every level. I play a form of big open chord apocalypse experimental metal, and need high gain with full body. The blackstars gain, mids, and lows are almost non exhistant, compared to thr mark iv. Even when the DPF on the blackstar is up, and the volume is pushing those bad ass kt88s, it still doesnt even stand a chance. We all know what the mark iv is capable of, but like i said, it was just fun to do a side by side coparison, before i sell the blackstar.
What amps have you compared to side by side, with either similiar, or night and day results???

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
Cool story, bro. Needs clips.

How much are you unloading the Blackstar for? I have a weakness for KT88s and live in the Pacific Northwest.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Mesa Mark IV vs anything gives that result haha.

spaghettipomodoro

Reaction score
Did you ever try putting a boost in front of the Blackstar? I keep hearing that it really opens it up.

Ashofgod

Reaction score
Did you ever try putting a boost in front of the Blackstar? I keep hearing that it really opens it up.

No. I dont have any od pedsls, BUT...i did use a Wampler Slostortion in front of it, but it still wasnt enough. The mark iv by itself smokes it!

guitarfishbay

Reaction score
I'm not surprised you found this for your preferences based on the previous thread. The 200 watter is not the right amp for what you're after. The MKIV is pretty sick but again not right for everyone (I'd prefer a Recto myself). Definitely glad you're happy with the MKIV - with so much choice in the amp market there is no point in being unhappy if you have the budget to buy good gear like Mesa stuff.

I still think metal guys should ignore the 200 and go for the 1046L6, or the 104EL34 if you prefer warmer tones (but try the 6L6 first).

I don't have any amp comparison clips at the moment though, only cab comparison clips which I've posted up before. My Laney Ironheart 120h is at the rehearsal space for now so I can't do a comparison as all my recording gear and my Blackstar S104EL34 is at home. As with most things time is the enemy, I'm pretty busy with recording originals in my spare time already.

However - the Laney Ironheart can't do this tone as it doesn't saturate as much as my Blackstar S104EL34 does, and the gain is pretty low here too (settings in description).

Ashofgod

Reaction score
I'm not surprised you found this for your preferences based on the previous thread. The 200 watter is not the right amp for what you're after. The MKIV is pretty sick but again not right for everyone (I'd prefer a Recto myself). Definitely glad you're happy with the MKIV - with so much choice in the amp market there is no point in being unhappy if you have the budget to buy good gear like Mesa stuff.

I still think metal guys should ignore the 200 and go for the 1046L6, or the 104EL34 if you prefer warmer tones (but try the 6L6 first).

I don't have any amp comparison clips at the moment though, only cab comparison clips which I've posted up before. My Laney Ironheart 120h is at the rehearsal space for now so I can't do a comparison as all my recording gear and my Blackstar S104EL34 is at home. As with most things time is the enemy, I'm pretty busy with recording originals in my spare time already.

However - the Laney Ironheart can't do this tone as it doesn't saturate as much as my Blackstar S104EL34 does, and the gain is pretty low here too (settings in description).

Thanks for the input. I havnt tried a 1006l6, but im know i wont be going backfrom the mark iv. The only way i get rid of it, is if i could replace it with an Engl Savage. Had a dual rec with jjs snd it was sick, i just wantemore tonal diversity, along with the high gain. And do for, the mark iv is it (for me)

braintheory

Reaction score
I had a similar experience when I compared the Randall T2 to my Mesa Mark V. The Randall sounded awesome until I AB'ed with the Mark V. The Randall then sounded muffled, undefined, and lacking balls and aggression. As for an amp to suit your needs, you were kind of vague with the description, but if you want a big, full sound I would recommend the Diamond Nitrox, Mesa Triple Rectifier, Diezel Herbert or VH4 (if you can afford it), or some of the cameron or friedman amps (also if you can afford it). I also tried the Blackstar (100 watt version with 6L6) and it was nice, but definitely not as good as my mark iii or v.

braintheory

Reaction score
Also, I didn't read in the earlier post that you didn't want a rectifier (there definitely not for everyone), but I would never trade a mark series amp for an engl savage.

Ashofgod

Reaction score
I'd give the blackstar a shot with a decent OD like an 808

yeah, probably with a maxon 808, or a ts9 it probably would have opened up pretty nicely. But at that point, my frustration level was so high since i had just installed high gain jjs in the preamp section, that i decided that was as far as i was going to go with this amp.:realmad:

Ashofgod

Reaction score
I had a similar experience when I compared the Randall T2 to my Mesa Mark V. The Randall sounded awesome until I AB'ed with the Mark V. The Randall then sounded muffled, undefined, and lacking balls and aggression. As for an amp to suit your needs, you were kind of vague with the description, but if you want a big, full sound I would recommend the Diamond Nitrox, Mesa Triple Rectifier, Diezel Herbert or VH4 (if you can afford it), or some of the cameron or friedman amps (also if you can afford it). I also tried the Blackstar (100 watt version with 6L6) and it was nice, but definitely not as good as my mark iii or v.

yeah, vague is right. i guess somewhere between the open tone of a mark iv, and a modified dual rec with better low end/less fizz fuzz. does that tone even exhist or am i going to go mad (and broke) searching for it?:ugh:

Not to say Im unhappy with the mark, i just always want more...more...MORE!!!:scream:

braintheory

Reaction score
really? im interested to hear why.
Mainly because the savage sounds processed/like a recording of an amp, especially when compared to mark series which have a very raw/real sound. No modern high gain amp I've played is as raw as my mark iii, but my fryette pittbull ul can very raw for a modern amp (but that amp doesn't have a big bottom end). The savage also isn't very loud for what it is. However, I heard in 2012 they made the savage a lot better and louder, so maybe the savage you played was one of the new versions, which I haven't tried.

braintheory

Reaction score
yeah, vague is right. i guess somewhere between the open tone of a mark iv, and a modified dual rec with better low end/less fizz fuzz. does that tone even exhist or am i going to go mad (and broke) searching for it?:ugh:

Not to say Im unhappy with the mark, i just always want more...more...MORE!!!:scream:

In that case I think any of the amps I recommended would work, but the diezels might be too compressed, you'll have to see for yourself. Also, by better low end do you mean bigger or tighter? All those amps will be a lot tighter than the rectifier, and should have enough low end.

Ashofgod

Reaction score
In that case I think any of the amps I recommended would work, but the diezels might be too compressed, you'll have to see for yourself. Also, by better low end do you mean bigger or tighter? All those amps will be a lot tighter than the rectifier, and should have enough low end.

oh yeah, i meant the dual rec, although when i had mine, i had the jj high gains, gz34s and 6l6s, and it was pretty monstrous, with smoother gain, and massive low end response. just wasnt enough for me.

Ashofgod

Reaction score
Mainly because the savage sounds processed/like a recording of an amp, especially when compared to mark series which have a very raw/real sound. No modern high gain amp I've played is as raw as my mark iii, but my fryette pittbull ul can very raw for a modern amp (but that amp doesn't have a big bottom end). The savage also isn't very loud for what it is. However, I heard in 2012 they made the savage a lot better and louder, so maybe the savage you played was one of the new versions, which I haven't tried.

you know, ive heard that about the savage-rarely! i am not going for the black metal/nu-metal-yuk-, scooped mids thing. the music we play is extremely loud, big open chord apocalypse type music. the mark iv so far is getting the message across. also our bass player uses the Verellen meatsmoke monster tube amp. 300watts and 6 kt88s. I nned to keep up, and cut through the mix

Reaction score
if you dont want to be heard dont get a mark iv it cuts like a muther even sccoped out, that said it blends into a mix sooo good...and its by far the tightest amp ive ever had for metal..and that includes a vht pitbull 100 cl and many many others..once you get it set though its a beast!