Mark V 25 or Revv G20 for bedroom recording

• Thread starter Stiman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stiman

Reaction score
I'm slowly looking into getting a small tube head for bedroom playing and recording, and looking at these two, I'm curious how the CabClone in the Mark V head compares to the Two Notes Torpedo Captor in the G20 head. The thought of not needing to buy a load box is really appealing to me.

Anyone had input on one or both of these?
Thanks

Edit:
I would throw the Badlander 25 head into the mix as well. Doesn't change the question though, as it has the same CabClone that's the Mark V has (I believe).

I might also consider the Peavey Invective MH which has some kind of speaker emulated output. Although if it's not adjustable by swapping my own IR, then it might not be worth it.

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
So you do or dont plan to run a cab?

Buy an fm3, get those tones and more, plus effects and interface capability :2c:

It comes down to which amp you prefer the sound of as far as the real things go.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
The cabclone in the marv V25 is inferior to the cabclone IR that the badlander 25 has. The badlander is like having a torpedo x onboard. The mark v25 cabclone is just not as good.
I'm slowly looking into getting a small tube head for bedroom playing and recording, and looking at these two, I'm curious how the CabClone in the Mark V head compares to the Two Notes Torpedo Captor in the G20 head. The thought of not needing to buy a load box is really appealing to me.

Anyone had input on one or both of these?
Thanks

Edit:
I would throw the Badlander 25 head into the mix as well. Doesn't change the question though, as it has the same CabClone that's the Mark V has (I believe).

I might also consider the Peavey Invective MH which has some kind of speaker emulated output. Although if it's not adjustable by swapping my own IR, then it might not be worth it.

rifftrauma

Trapped in time...
Contributor
Reaction score
Figured I'd throw the Kemper out there as an option as well. I'm sure both amps are represented, and you can record direct into your DAW. You can also buy one with a built in power amp if you want to run it separately through FRFR or a cab, small footprint etc. :2c:

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
The cabclone in the marv V25 is inferior to the cabclone IR that the badlander 25 has. The badlander is like having a torpedo x onboard. The mark v25 cabclone is just not as good.
Note that the Mark 5:35 has an upgrade to the CabClone too. The Mark 525 that I have only has open & closed speaker cab options. The Mark 535 has open, closed, or vintage.

The Revv G20 is an awesome little amp. A friend of mine has one and can pull some great Fear Factory sounds out of it.

I own a Mark 525 and do rather like the CabClone as an option. I typically record with a CabClone track and a close mic track (Shure SM-57 or KSM-313 ribbon). My tracks on Soundcloud were either Mark 525 direct or mixed direct with close mic.
Fractured and Burned to Ash is all Mark 525 cabclone.
Internal Screaming is Cabclone + close mic KSM-313 ribbon mic.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I haven't tried the Revv, but I owned a Mark V 25 and the Cab Clone sounded like hot garbage. It's a resistive load and analog filter, which isn't really representative of a real cabinet and mic signal. From what I can tell, the Two Notes stuff in the Revv is a reactive load and allows you to import your own IR files. That being said, I doubt the core tones of the amps are very similar, so it's still an apples-to-oranges comparison in that regard :2c:

Here are some clips of the 25 with both Cab Clone options as well as running through a Suhr Reactive Load and IR. There are also clips of my 90w Mark V running through the same load box/IR and a Helix Native patch with the same IR as well. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1f5WTB0auZzxSxBVy3ClHhJnh4FuDKa2M?usp=sharing

EDIT: reuploaded the clips to include a stereo delay on the lead and clean sections since the originals were collapsed to mono

Last edited:

Asdrael

Green and Blue stuff.
Reaction score
I have a Laney IRT studio and really like it. You can get a DI, dry and IR'd signal out. Has a 1W and 15W mode and sounds to me really good. Plus it can be bought for like 300€ used.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
The revv is going to be far more useful at lower volumes ime. They have excellent master volume tapers ime. Most of the Mark lineup have fucking awful master volume tapers ime.
If you're running them direct, then the Two Notes stuff is basically the standard for a reason (it's very good and pretty easy to use).

The smaller Marks are generally a bit harsher in the mids and high end than the bigger versions ime, though it can be dialed out to an extent.

Stiman

Reaction score
So you do or dont plan to run a cab?

Buy an fm3, get those tones and more, plus effects and interface capability :2c:

It comes down to which amp you prefer the sound of as far as the real things go.
I have a cab, and a 5150 Iconic 15w. But also I have an HX Stomp + Helix Native that I use for recording. I'm just interested in the idea of having an amp I can physically touch and tweak that I can also use for recording.
Ok, good to know. Another commenter said the the V35 does have the new CabClone though. I can't seem to get a definite answer though, can you use custom IRs with it? Like, can you load in your own IRs?
Why not the Engl Fireball 25 with the big tubes (6L6), the onboard powersoak & noise gate?
I've never considered or looked into these amps. I'll check it out.
Note that the Mark 5:35 has an upgrade to the CabClone too. The Mark 525 that I have only has open & closed speaker cab options. The Mark 535 has open, closed, or vintage.

The Revv G20 is an awesome little amp. A friend of mine has one and can pull some great Fear Factory sounds out of it.

I own a Mark 525 and do rather like the CabClone as an option. I typically record with a CabClone track and a close mic track (Shure SM-57 or KSM-313 ribbon). My tracks on Soundcloud were either Mark 525 direct or mixed direct with close mic.
Fractured and Burned to Ash is all Mark 525 cabclone.
Internal Screaming is Cabclone + close mic KSM-313 ribbon mic.
Can you load in your own IRs into the head?
Soldano Astro is the way. First, it is a Soldano. Second, you can run IRs right out the back (pre-loaded or your own). Third, it is its own load box. Finally, it is a Soldano.
Seems like a good choice. Expensive though.
I have a Laney IRT studio and really like it. You can get a DI, dry and IR'd signal out. Has a 1W and 15W mode and sounds to me really good. Plus it can be bought for like 300€ used.
Seems pretty good. I'll have to look into it more.
The revv is going to be far more useful at lower volumes ime. They have excellent master volume tapers ime. Most of the Mark lineup have fucking awful master volume tapers ime.
If you're running them direct, then the Two Notes stuff is basically the standard for a reason (it's very good and pretty easy to use).

The smaller Marks are generally a bit harsher in the mids and high end than the bigger versions ime, though it can be dialed out to an extent.
Yeah, the Revv seems super cool, and it's good to know that the MV taper is good on it and not as good on the Mesa amps. I'll see if I can try them in person at some point. I have played the G20 in person and it sounded great at low volume.

Asdrael

Green and Blue stuff.
Reaction score
I forgot: HK Grand meister does what you want. Pretty characteristic sounding amp though you either love it or hate it. I sold mine but I can't deny the quality really.

I also have to say that a regular torpedo captor (not the X) can be found for like 120€ and would open up a lot of options.

Stiman

Reaction score
I also have to say that a regular torpedo captor (not the X) can be found for like 120€ and would open up a lot of options.

If I used a non-X captor, it basically outputs the post-power amp sound, and I'd just need to add an IR in the DAW, is that right? Am I understanding it correctly?

Asdrael

Green and Blue stuff.
Reaction score
Yep. And it comes with a license for the Two Notes software.

There is also a built in cab sim as far as I know but yeah, why use it.

Stiman

Reaction score
Yep. And it comes with a license for the Two Notes software.

There is also a built in cab sim as far as I know but yeah, why use it.

This is probably a really good option. Although it's not built-in, it allows me to use my 5150 to record if I want to.

')