Marshall 9200 vs rocktron velocity 300

• Thread starter Khesahn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Khesahn

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I´m looking into these 2 for powering my pod x3 pro. (maybe a pod hd)

The thing is, I've never really owned an amp, besides a fender princeton chorus combo. And know nothing much about the sounds between solidstate & valves.

I can get the rocktron from new & the 9200 used for about the same price.

I have no idea what to go with :/

I mostly play lowtuned stuff f# on an 8 string. And will probably be going through a harley benton 2x12 with v30's

Please help me out here.

What does these have to offer, or should I be looking at something else?

Mind that I live in Denmark, and can't find much besides marshall power amps used and thomann from new.

Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

morethan6

Reaction score
Dude I have a Marshall 9100 PA and it ROCKS. That's 50 watts a side - the 9200 is really powerful, 100 watts per side. I power 2 412 cabs with mine and a POD HD500. You don't really need all that power just for one 2x12 - great amp tho :)

Get another cab as well - stereo FTW! :metal:

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Just to help out a bit, I have the Velocity 100. I'm surprised how it warms up the tone as i turn it up - really sounds good. I'm looking at getting the 300 for more power at some point, but the velocity amps sound great to my ears.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with my Velocity 300. It has a nice sound. Not harsh or digital sounding at all. Even when I tested it out with the lamest of pre-amps, the sound was still usable.

SkullCrusher

Reaction score
The marshall is good but it weighs more than your 2x12 cab.

Its a great amp but youll need castors for your cab!

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
Ive played through an XT live into a 9200 to two 1960 cabs quite a bit thanks to a friend, and I can say that while the marshall power amp sounds amazing, it is one hell of a back breaker!!! What makes it worse is the fact that the damn thing is so small compared to a cab, so its weighted really awkwardly :lol: Honestly, I could carry those 1960's sooo much easier than I could the poweramp. BUT, that amp thumps hard. If weight is of no issue, 9100, hands down. The tone is absolutely amazing on them! (though, he had his biased for 6l6's, so that's where my experience is from, not the el34's) If you want to save your back, then the rocktron. But I will say this much on the weight...you may not mind now, but after carrying your gear around to gigs for a few years, you'll start to care...a lot. Atleast, I sure did :lol:

maccayoung

Reaction score
I have both the 9100 and the Velocity 300. Go for the Rocktron. Your back will thank you, and with the reactance controls on the 300 you can get pretty damn close to the sound. Like I said, I have both and the Rocktron is the one that gets used. I'd sell the Marshall if it didn't look so damn pretty.

Khesahn

Reaction score
Thanks for helping me out guys!

I did not even think about the weight issue. But since that could become a real issue for me, I'll go with the rocktron!

Thanks again!

Reaction score
The Rocktron sounded awesome with my Digitech GSP1101 and even better with my Randall RG13.
for $350? it's hard to beat
A little on the heavy side, but the sound is awesome.

jeb

Reaction score
Had a rocktron velocity 250 back in the days, changed it for a 9200, big sound improvement, but I changed it for a matrix gm50 :p, My back is happy, had to edit my patches for the gm50 but now I'm really happy with my tone, and the other band member accept to carry my rack!!! :p

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
The marshall is the best value for the same price. They are among the heaviest pieces of gear I kow, however, barring monstrosities like the Mesa strategy amps.
It's a 100w power amp, meaning you'll likely be stuck to playing it at 0.5 at home.

')