Marshall DSL 50 vs Engl Blackmore?

• Thread starter ShredBaron
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ShredBaron

Reaction score
I am about to pull the switch today and buy a used JCM2000 DSL 50, I played a 100 version this weekend and it was LOUD (too loud). I really liked the tone even more than the JVM Marshall, though it will need some mods for channel access, There is a guy on craiglist selling a Engl Blackmore. I am a Ritchie Blackmore fan and I play the Yngwie, Paul Gilbert, Stevie Ray Vaughn,Hendrix,Petrucci stuff. I was wondering if the ENGL can do those clean shred tones as good or better than the Marshall? Has anyone here played both. I may go try the Engl before I buy the DSL. I have never heard a Engl in person and the only clips I have heard of the Blackmore were really weak pop stuff or attempts at playing the BRUTALLZZ and I am just interested in neoclassical, shred, blues, and of course some metal as well.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gfactor

Reaction score
The clean sound I get from my DSL50 is one of the best I've heard IMO.
The Lead Channel takes some dialing in to get right but when you do it totally crushes.
One important thing to note: the DSL50's distortion will not sound good until you get the volume up to at least 4, which is not quite as loud as the 100w but still really feckin' loud.
You really need to get the power tubes working in order for the amp to produce the crushing Marshall tone we all know and love, so if you won't be able to crank it it may not be worth it.
As far as the tones of the DSL go it should fit perfectly for what you want to play. But you already knew that.

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
I have the ENGL e860 rackhead. That's the amp they used when designing the preamp for the Blackmore. The right boost turns that amp into a shred monster. I love it. The Blackmore definitely wouldn't need the mod investment that the DSL50 would.

BabUShka

Reaction score
The Blackmore is known for being very versatile. Ok cleans, awesome crunch and brown high gain.

ShredBaron

Reaction score
I almost bought a DSL 50 watt today but the little Marshall cab the guy had who was selling had made the amp less than impressive. I heard a 100 watt DSL yesterday through a boogie cab at Guitar Center and it was massive. Cash is limited and since I had already found a used JVM410H for $1,200 with tax, I went and put money down on that. I think the JVM is the best all around amp I have found in my price range for versitility etc, I am in Texas so I do not have access to a lot of the cool European amps. The JVM did not to me sound like it would excel at blues like other marshalls would but I think it will rule for shred and just pretty much most rock styles. The JVM is not as raw and powerful as the DSL but it sounded like it would record better and it was much cleaner and smoother. Now I have to decide if I am going get pedals or a GSP 1101, or Boss G-10 or something else. If I get a processor I want one that will work with the Eventide Pitch Factor, it has the best Harmonizer patch I have heard. I just have to find a processor that will work with pedals now and I should be on my way to being finished until my wallet is full again. If I had lots of time and money I would love buying gear, since I have neither I prefer to get this over so I can focus on music!:hbang:

Wiz

Reaction score
The clean sound I get from my DSL50 is one of the best I've heard IMO.
The Lead Channel takes some dialing in to get right but when you do it totally crushes.
One important thing to note: the DSL50's distortion will not sound good until you get the volume up to at least 4, which is not quite as loud as the 100w but still really feckin' loud.
You really need to get the power tubes working in order for the amp to produce the crushing Marshall tone we all know and love, so if you won't be able to crank it it may not be worth it.
As far as the tones of the DSL go it should fit perfectly for what you want to play. But you already knew that.

I think you can use the same reasoning for the ENGL. I have an invader 100 and most people agree that it's a bit wasted if you can't crank up the volume, which you can't if you're using it inside.

Latest posts

')