Marshall from a Thrash Legend

• Thread starter Uno Mas
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Uno Mas

Greets With Fire
Reaction score
I got the chance to play on one of late Jeff Hanneman's JCM800s. I am huge Slayer fan, I was on cloud nine for an entire week. I don't have much experience with JCMs. I was surprised at how clear the amp was when played with little gain. People around me told me they were surprised by the amp's low end. I could not pull the trigger on buying it, too much amp for my house. I thought about buying it almost as an art piece because it was so beautiful.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DISTORT6

NJ DEVIL
Reaction score
JH was a HUGE influence on me. I'm jelly! :yesway:

Sorry, but I gotta ask…where was it at and…of course…what was the cost?

xxx128

-108 point(s) total
Reaction score
Was it 50 or 100 watts? Did you open it up to see what the output transformer and the tubes were?

Uno Mas

Greets With Fire
Reaction score
I am pretty sure it was 100 watt. I did not take a look inside. I was told that it had KT88 tubes.

Uno Mas

Greets With Fire
Reaction score
It was sold by a collector to Guitar Center. It was priced at $2700. It sold within one week.

p4vl

Reaction score
I am pretty sure it was 100 watt. I did not take a look inside. I was told that it had KT88 tubes.

Yeah, Slayer always used the 6550/KT88 Marshalls. It's weird that Marshall putting those big tubes in their amps back in the 80's had a impact on what american thrash sounded like. I love my 6550's.

Did the amp feel like Hanneman had had the preamp modified?

Uno Mas

Greets With Fire
Reaction score
The amp sold within a week of being posted on the store's website, but was it the store a week before it was posted. I beat myself up everyday going back and forth whether to buy it. The only reason I passed is that I have bought a ton of gear over the last year and I did not want to tie up anymore money. I was afraid once the novelty wore off I would have buyer's remorse. I am not well verse on tube amps, but I heard someone say that something had been done to the caps to reduce brightness, don't know about the preamp. I was able to play the amp at a decent volume, it had a crystal clear rock sound with good low end. Here is another picture, sorry for using an orange cab, I know it is sacrilege, but these are the cabs I use. I played it through a 4x12 not the 2x12 it is sitting on.

DISTORT6

NJ DEVIL
Reaction score
DAMN!
When I showed this thread to my wife, she said that amp would go right in the living room! :lol:
She knows what that would have meant to me.

EXPcustom

Reaction score
Hey, OP did you end up buying this amp?

If you did... I know I'm a new member here but I know the history behind this amp and helped get it from Jeff to the collector that sold it to GC and then you. I hope you got the original box and note from Slayer's tech stating it was Jeff's amp. If you want to know more details just shot me a PM and I will tell you everything about its history. You scored, I think me and you are one of only very few people to own one of these heads. If you didn't get it too bad, but whoever did I can let them know the history behind the head since all involved parties have passed away.

xxx128

-108 point(s) total
Reaction score
Hi EXPcustom. Please share a little background info on this amp. I am sure most of us would appreciate.

')