Marshall half stack VS. Crate half stack

• Thread starter plecostoman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which is the best choice?

• Crate GLX1200H

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crate GT1200H/G412SL

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Ditch the Metal Zone. :agreed:

Between those 3, I'd go for the Marshall. However, I would search out a used MG100RCD or an even older Valvestate. They blow away the new Marshall HDFX & the Crates. And avoid those cheap 4x12 cabs at all costs. For all 3 of those 1/2 stacks, they spent most the cash on the heads & then coupled them with seriously shitty 4x12 cabs.

Take this advice from a well-known gear whore. :yesway:

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I haven't played the crate ones but I can tell you the Marshalls are terrible.

I'm not a huge fan of them, but the B-52 stuff is way better than those.

DSS3

Banned
Reaction score
Save up and get something better.

plecostoman

Reaction score
I've heard these stack combos aren't the greatest.

My experience with stacks is novice. I've been using a standard Peavy 150 amp for years now and it's falling apart and I figured I might as well move onto the world of half stacks once I upgrade. It's just that I'm also looking to spend about $700 on a new guitar shortly and I'm on a tight budget.

Any suggestions for building an affordable stack?

plecostoman

Reaction score
About the Vox Valvetronix AD100VTH...is this tube powered?

And in the link you provided, it also featured the V412BK cab. Would you recommend the cab as well?

plecostoman

Reaction score
I've never used tube amps. How often do you have to replace the tube and how much do they usually cost?

WarriorOfMetal

The Dragonrider
Contributor
Reaction score
if you must get something like that, get the Crate GT series, but the 3500 is better than the 1200....they have a pretty sick sounding distortion channel though, way better than a metal zone.

and btw, this is coming from someone who typically hates crate shit, especially their solid state amps.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd take a MG (pure solid state) over a VS or AVT (hybrid solid state). You're paying near-pure-tube-amp prices for what's basically a solid state amp with a single tube in the poweramp, which isn't nearly enough to produce the sort of gain they're producing so you know most of it is diode-based solid state distortion anyway.

I'm not saying the MG is necessarily the better amp - it's just, an AVT isn't really THAT much cheaper than the DSL50. For the price, the MG is a much better buy - it sounds nearly as good as a AVT, while it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

If you go for an AVT, then just toss in the extra few hundred and buy a DSL. the performance difference between a DSL and an AVT is much bigger than the price difference, whereas the performance difference between an MG and an AVT is not.

EdgeCrusher

Reaction score
There's a single tube pre-amp.

Actually the tube is in the power amp section on the Vox, even though its a 12ax7 which is normally a pre amp tube. Tubes make more of a difference in the power section because thats what gives it that tube feel and push, its harder to notice a difference if the tube is in the preamp section (on a hybrid)

I'll second the Vox vote, those amps are great for the price, and will have much more a tube feel. But definatly do not get a Crate, the Marshall will be alot better.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
I wouldn't get any of them. Get a Peavey ValveKing head with an Avatar cab (I know I am biased) for $750, or get a Carvin MTS tube combo.

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Actually if you're going to be using the Metal Zone...just get the Crate Powerblock, it's 100 bucks, for that price you can get a good cab to go with it, might not necessarily be "as powerful" as those other amps but it works well and if you need more power I think you can link another one to the "main."

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
Actually the tube is in the power amp section on the Vox, even though its a 12ax7 which is normally a pre amp tube.

Damn right! My mistake. That makes it even better!
I went out and tried the Vox again. So nice and versatile...

The thing is ... :ugh:
I don't know.
I been playin' Marshall forever and it's like my ear is used to it.
When i try something different, its always weird at first.
I plugged in the mg100dfx head right beside... and liked it more at that very moment :ugh: :scratch: :ugh:
On my side, i'm still not decided on what the f*ck i want (and its taking me forever to decide. Fuck it, i'll just buy that mini-stack and buy other stuff with the rest of the $$$)!

noodles

Contributor
Reaction score
Actually if you're going to be using the Metal Zone...just get the Crate Powerblock, it's 100 bucks, for that price you can get a good cab to go with it, might not necessarily be "as powerful" as those other amps but it works well and if you need more power I think you can link another one to the "main."

Steve (Imagika) brought a Powerblock, a Line6 distortion modeler, a delay pedal, and a guitar with him to Minneapolis Metal Mayhem. He sounded better than the guys with the PODxt Lives. I'm seriously considering something like this for future road trips.

Latest posts

')