Marshall Harrison Live with Zappa Plays Zappa

• Thread starter vgguru39
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vgguru39

Reaction score
Well here is the sound check anyways. If anyone finds any more videos of them playing together feel free to post here. Glad to see he is out there getting himself some recognition.

:shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

S-O

t(-.-t)
Reaction score
I remember him mentioning that in his last vid. Pretty cool, guy can play, but sometimes he comes off as as a massive tool.

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
I saw that and I gave a comment :) I think his skills are way better than Zappa's :)

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
great player
lousy attitude though, sometimes he really comes across like an ass hat,
But he sure can play.

shaneroo

Oh, herrrrro......
Forum MVP
Reaction score
i get the feeling that it was more of an audition... and seems like nobody there likes him either.
probably doesn't help that he can't play standing up.

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
why the fuck is he sitting down?
He may have crazy technical skills but I'd rather listen to Zappa play any day of the week.

and the reason he comes across as a tool is that he probably is

splinter8451

Reaction score
Yeah I really do not like this dude haha. He is really good, but the way he acts sometimes he comes off as a total ass.

And is he seriously sitting down??? :lol:

I would definitely rather listen to Dweezil anyday. He was awesome at Progressive Nation this year :yesway:

shaneroo

Oh, herrrrro......
Forum MVP
Reaction score
dweezil is an excellent guitarist.... he has skill, chops, good phrasing, and maybe most importantly... charisma!
sometimes people neglect certain aspects of trying to make it big ;)

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
none of his "shredding" sounded too interesting to me.. I dunno what the deal is, maybe it is the psychological effect of sitting down, or my reading of all the posts before watching it.. Or maybe hes just really fuckin boring.

Sitting down.. what a tool.. look at Dweezil just standing there like probably thinking "Wtf is this guy doing sitting down"

Reminds me of your typical 18 year old "shred" guitarist, who wont stop playing when your trying to talk to him and tell him to get focused.. Thinks the whole band is about him, etc. watching the endof this video was really hard to get thru =/

WillingWell

Reaction score
I get the feeling that at first, Dweezil was like "Holy shit". Then he was like "Wow, okay are we done here yet".

Or maybe that was just me.

Marshall impresses the hell out of me, but he represents the ultimate of technique with no "good stuff".

BenEllerGuitars

Reaction score
ugh, couldn't watch more than a minute of that before i started getting NOTE POISONING. dude is such a wanker.
does he not play standing because he has some type of back condition? or does he not stand because he's spent thousands of hours playing sitting down, and can't get used to playing standing?

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
ugh, couldn't watch more than a minute of that before i started getting NOTE POISONING. dude is such a wanker.
does he not play standing because he has some type of back condition? or does he not stand because he's spent thousands of hours playing sitting down, and can't get used to playing standing?

I doubt he can, when he does stand his guitar is in such an awkward position too.
But then again, he has played live before (as far as I know) so maybe he can.

skeletor88

The Devil
Reaction score
As said before, I beleive ass hat is the correct description.

I enjoyed about 3 seconds of that playing in between all that chops chops chops chops chops

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Great technician, but he seems to miss the point that a guitar is a device for creating music. It's a means to the end, not the endpoint itself, and unfortunately, it seems like too many guitarists, including Harrison seem to not grasp that concept well enough.
Shane Gibson himself said a while ago Harrison could do stuff he could never ever do, and that's true for myself too, there is no way I can play those 4 note per string reverse hammer on legato licks, probably not for another 5 years.
But what Shane does have in spades, is a sense of groove, ultimately a sense of musicality and also, no ego problems and has a great sense of humor.
This seems to be true of many of guys like Satch, Vai, and Paul Gilbert etc
Just down to earth guys who can write some great tunes and understand the big picture which is musical expression.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Dweezil has already said that he thinks Marshall is probably (and in his opinion) the most technically advanced guitarist around at the moment, but in the same breath also said that he's never heard him playing his own tunes.

I'd kill to have that level of chops but I want to hear more from a player on stage with Zappa - like rhythm skills, note choice, taste, tone. I've been listening to the dude for quite a time....in fact, ever since he had a website that had a quote from C.C.Deville on the front page which has to be 7 or 8 years ago. Aside from regularly getting my face melted I can't recall anything that made me go "cool".

I think I've gone off him since I read a few comments he made about other players actually =/

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
That guy's got monster chops, but I thought it all fell apart when he started playing with the band. I wasn't getting any sense of musicality out of his playing. He's got the technique down; now he needs to work on his phrasing and "the big picture." He needs to go listen to Frank Zappa's "Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar" for awhile, I'd say.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doing that for a couple of seconds would be enough to say "ok, it sounds good, let's try it in a song and see how it sits in the mix and then we're done."

But no, this guy spends the better part of 7 minutes just chopsing, without tweaking anything or checking different sounds, or even any chords, he just wanks because he wants to. I'd be so pissed if any of my band members did that. This guy is clearly there only to prove himself, desperate to show people what his decades of bedroom wanking has resulted in. It's not hard to guess why this guy doesn't play out more often. It's a goddamn soundcheck, still he has to show everything he can do before leaving. The rest of the band are standing there just waiting for him to give it a rest but are too polite to ask, it's a bit awkward to watch.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
dweezil is an excellent guitarist.... he has skill, chops, good phrasing, and maybe most importantly... charisma!
sometimes people neglect certain aspects of trying to make it big ;)

Exactly. :yesway:

I've already stated how writing your own music/songs are incredibly important over your own technique (though it's very possible and encouragable to have both). I seems that he's neglected too many important aspects in being a musician; the human aspect. Charisma, being musically polite and aware of the surroundings. Playing in jams is about the people around you not just about yourself, just like social interaction. Nobody likes to jam with a tool, no matter how great their playing is. Somethings you just can't learn shredding in the bedroom. Personality is so important.

I would love to have that kind of technique, however it shouldn't have to compromise my musicality and personality either. If that happens, then I'll end up ceasing to make music.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
If there's one thing doing hardcore practice of vibrato last year did to me, it's that it made me step back and rethink the time I was devoting to shred exercises and that I needed to become a more well rounded guitarist.
Hell, I know from the past few times I've jammed with Bloody Inferno, he commented on my vibrato and back in my days when I was just a "bedroom" shredder kinda shredder, no one ever said that to me.
I also get comments on my tasteful licks and phrasing now, again, which never happened back in my shred the balls to walls days.
I mean, I still shred, I love it and always will, but I think every guitarist who is really into lead player needs that kinda of moment where it just hits them like that, what they need to do to become a well rounded musician.

I think there's also a matter of tension and release in the licks too
Joe Satriani has it. Steve Vai has it most of the time (sometimes when he's improvising he loses it). Paul Gilbert has it. Buckethead has it. John Petrucci usually has it (but kinda lost it on the last few albums, he doesn't seem to do it as well as he used to).
Chris Poland has it, and Allan Holdsworth have it too.
But Harrison seems to play licks that seem to be about tension, tension and more tension, but there seems to be no proper points where it releases and has a chance to build back up again.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
If there's one thing doing hardcore practice of vibrato last year did to me, it's that it made me step back and rethink the time I was devoting to shred exercises and that I needed to become a more well rounded guitarist.
Hell, I know from the past few times I've jammed with Bloody Inferno, he commented on my vibrato and back in my days when I was just a "bedroom" shredder kinda shredder, no one ever said that to me.
I also get comments on my tasteful licks and phrasing now, again, which never happened back in my shred the balls to walls days.
I mean, I still shred, I love it and always will, but I think every guitarist who is really into lead player needs that kinda of moment where it just hits them like that, what they need to do to become a well rounded musician.

I think there's also a matter of tension and release in the licks too
Joe Satriani has it. Steve Vai has it most of the time (sometimes when he's improvising he loses it). Paul Gilbert has it. Buckethead has it. John Petrucci usually has it (but kinda lost it on the last few albums, he doesn't seem to do it as well as he used to).
Chris Poland has it, and Allan Holdsworth have it too.
But Harrison seems to play licks that seem to be about tension, tension and more tension, but there seems to be no proper points where it releases and has a chance to build back up again.

I also think that well-roundedness heightens your sense of musicality altogether, which in turn helps your lead playing too. Guys like JP and Paul Gilbert aren't so awesome because they sat down practicing their entire lives, but because at an early age they formed bands, wrote songs, recorded and toured etc. where they had to fit into bands, comp a singer and so on. You can learn a lot about melodic choices from a singer, you can learn about rhythmic figures and groove from a drummer, you can learn about harmony from a bass player and so on because they most likely approach the songs from a different view than you do. All of that stuff is beneficial to your lead playing too.

')