Marshall Harrison Live with Zappa Plays Zappa

• Thread starter vgguru39
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I also think that well-roundedness heightens your sense of musicality altogether, which in turn helps your lead playing too. Guys like JP and Paul Gilbert aren't so awesome because they sat down practicing their entire lives, but because at an early age they formed bands, wrote songs, recorded and toured etc. where they had to fit into bands, comp a singer and so on. You can learn a lot about melodic choices from a singer, you can learn about rhythmic figures and groove from a drummer, you can learn about harmony from a bass player and so on because they most likely approach the songs from a different view than you do. All of that stuff is beneficial to your lead playing too.

As a result of this, not only are you learning from others, but the people you jam with are learning and feeding off from you as well. Once we forge our unique style, that's what will make us special and what we can offer to others. It's as much as giving and receiving. We also give space for others to allow them to shine. The art of restraint isn't always easy but extremely vital.

Write songs, start and/or join bands, jam with as many people as possible. Transcend the bedroom guitarist's way of thinking, or even take a few steps further and transcend the guitarist's way of thinking. Seeing the big picture helps to be a better musician, which is what we all aim to be. A lot of beginners get put off guitars due to scales and technical work and we ask why. They want to play music. While technique is important and requires hard practice, it's that very same passion to music is why a lot of people get put off listening to technical jargon and want to hear music with substance. A lot of us often tend to forget that this is why we picked up an instrument in the first place.

You're talking about Petrucci here.... dammit. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mrcsparker

Reaction score
It is clear from the video that this is just a soundcheck. I am not sure why so many people are saying negative things about Marshall - he looks like he is warming up.

It sounds fine to me. Seems like the people on this forum are reading way too much into this video.

JohnIce

Singlecoil Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is clear from the video that this is just a soundcheck. I am not sure why so many people are saying negative things about Marshall - he looks like he is warming up.

It sounds fine to me. Seems like the people on this forum are reading way too much into this video.

That's the thing though, doing all of that at concert volume doing a sound check... it's unnecessary and just bad manners to the rest of the band. You don't warm up during sound check, you warm up before you go up, or you turn your volume off if you have to play some exercises.

What he's doing there is playing hyper shred licks for 7 minutes (may well have been doing it for longer that wasn't filmed), and none of that is beneficial to the sound check, he just tries to impress the ZPZ band. All he does is prove he has a lot to learn about being in a band.

Mindcrime1204

Reaction score

...but ya, i cant believe i muted the golden girls on TV just to hear 7 minutes of that :| lol

')