Marshall JCM 2205 + OD VS Modern AMP + OD

• Thread starter atticmike
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

atticmike

Reaction score
Hey folks,

this is probably one of the most frequently asked questions on this board. What is it you would recommend me in terms of AMP choice in the battle between old school and modern amps?

The sound i dig and go for when it comes to the tone-color of the guitar: Punkrock, Pop-punk, Protest The Hero (exception).

What music do I play? Mostly progressive metal / rock. Along the same lines as exempli gratia Protest the Hero or The Human Abstract.

Is there seriously the possibility to preserve the warmth of a marshall amp and make use of an od to define the tone? I've played the dual rectifier for quite a while now and sold it right after the moment when I realized the fizzy / harsh tone color the amp spreads out.

Don't ask me how come I play progressive metal / rock and dig gear that trickles down to a whole different level of tone-fundamentals. ^^

Marshalls and Laney's have shaped my ears for all my life and not to forget all the amps I possessed in the beginning of my career which were, who would've guessed, Marshall and Laney.

Cheers MIke

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Honestly, a JCM800 with a solid boost (TS-style OD with the gain zero'd and the level maxed) and a good cab can easily accomplish "Modern" Metal tones.

I can say with no second thought that the Marshall JCM800 is easily one of the most flexible, solid amps on this planet in regards to tone.

Necky379

Reaction score
agreed. i dont know if you've noticed but a lot of modern metal players use/have used the jcm800. as long as you're boosting it as mentioned above you'll be in good shape.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
I know underoath use 800's. Also, you could get the Marshall modded.

Like Max said, boost 'er and she will deliver.

atticmike

Reaction score
sounds auspicious :D any other progressive / metal band you know that plays a marshall jcm 800 ?

Do you have any preferences on a particular model you'd recommend me? Two channels and a reverb at best. Manufacturing date?

troyguitar

Reaction score
Are you playing in a band or a bedroom? JCM 800's sound fucking phenomenal at band volumes, but fairly lackluster at bedroom/store volumes which is why they get such a bad rap by internet kids.

groph

Reaction score
sounds auspicious :D any other progressive / metal band you know that plays a marshall jcm 800 ?

Do you have any preferences on a particular model you'd recommend me? Two channels and a reverb at best. Manufacturing date?

I don't know much about the variants of JCM800's but you'd probably want to go for a 100W model? I'm saying this because in theory, more watts = more headroom so better cleans and clarity, and more watts = more solid bottom end. Maybe you really like poweramp saturation so a 50W one would be better for you.

As far as metal bands that use them

- Slayer (check out God Hates us All for the ultimate fury of JCM800s)
- Probably 90% of thrash metal bands
- Older Fear Factory. Dino Cazares had a modded 800 that sounded massive. Sadly, it was stolen.
- Mastodon (?) They might have used Plexis at some point too but I know I saw one of those rig layouts in one of those guitar magazines and they had JCM800's in there. Their tone has always been incredible, at least on record.

And yeah, 800's are definitely not low volume amps. A cranked 800 is pretty much the loudest sound in the known universe

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
JCM800 2204 was the best model IMHO. It's got a cult following so the ones that are online don't stay long usually, but if you have the opportunity to get one, GO FOR IT. You won't be disappointed.

Mettle209

Reaction score
I currently have a 1987 Marshall JCM 800 2205 that I bought locally about a year ago but have not had time to play at band volume or at all. Sometimes this week, I'll fire it up and boost it with an OCD through a Mesa 4x12. California residents, brace for an earthquake.

Disclaimer: I have a few other amps that I have been playing with and so haven't had much time to play the marshall. Also, I am thinking about selling it soon to fund other GAS purchases.

atticmike

Reaction score
hm like the sound though the guitar could've been a little louder in the mix (rythm).

Found clips of the dragon by framus, sounds quite promising as well.

I def need sth with two channels, either 2210 or 2205 though what may be the best?

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
hm like the sound though the guitar could've been a little louder in the mix (rythm).

Found clips of the dragon by framus, sounds quite promising as well.

I def need sth with two channels, either 2210 or 2205 though what may be the best?

To be honest, I've never liked the 2 channel JCM's. They just didn't sound right to me. It's a one trick pony, so let it do that trick without holding it back.
The Framus is nice though.

Mettle209

Reaction score
To be honest, I've never liked the 2 channel JCM's. They just didn't sound right to me. It's a one trick pony, so let it do that trick without holding it back.

That seems to be the general consensus. I would love to have a JCM 800 2203 or 2204 to compare to my 2205. Anyone out there can loan me one? I will send it right back, I promise, hehe. :)

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
you could look at a Splawn as well, if you like the Marshall type of tone but need more balls.
The Quick Rod is a killer version of a jacked up Marshall.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score

That sounds killer.

kind of tough to judge when all he's doing is early Van halen riffs.
my buddy has one and he gets a nice real thick heavy sound out of it,
or he gets this VH type of sound.
Really cool amps
some low riffage

Nitro VS QR vid

')