Marshall JMP 100W 1977 or Blackstar 104 6L6?

• Thread starter HateTank
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HateTank

Reaction score
I currently own a Marshall JMP head. Have been running a pod pro in to the front of it. However, I'm getting an over-driven sound. To complicate things there is no effects loop in the amp. I did try a tube screamer in front of the amp alone and its sounds great for rock tones but when it comes to metal. It seems to fall short. Considering getting the Blackstar 104 with 6L6 tubes. Does any one think this would be the right choice. Also considering a mesa 2:90 as i like rack gear.

Am i wasting my time with the pod pro? I seem to have a great sound when run through the PA or on headphones. I recently purchase a velocity 100 and it did clean up the sound but doesn't seem to have enough head room when im playing at practice. Not sure which direction i should go.
Open to any and all suggestions on amps.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zado

Reaction score
well if you're into metal than you might consider a blackstar 104 6l6,it's a pretty good amp,it will never deliver you the great,juicy,magical sounds the JMP does.

Btw if it is a jmp 2204 '77,with a proper pedal it should be capable of great heavy tones

HateTank

Reaction score
Thanks, what do you think about the ht50. My other guitarist had one and said it has a fat sound and isnt too hard on the $.

Zado

Reaction score
Thanks, what do you think about the ht50. My other guitarist had one and said it has a fat sound and isnt too hard on the $.
yep it is fat sounding,but imho a bit compressed and not very natural...at least that's what i heard when i played:S

HateTank

Reaction score
A JMP can do metal easily with a tubescreamer!

Thanks, I think I need to tweak the settings a bit. I have an old ART xtreme pedal I used to use and it sounded awesome. Finally found one and im going to try that again.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't mod an original 77' JMP if I were you.

I'd get a second, high gain head.

wakjob

Reaction score
I'm very anti-butchering of vintage Marshalls. But a PPIMV is non-evasive and completely reversible if not liked or for resale.

I'd keep that amp for ever. If it's not 'Metal' enough, try some nice metal pedals into the Low input.

I see you got it sorted...cool.

HateTank

Reaction score
Finally hooked up the ART pedal at practice. It sounds awesome!!! The combination of my JMP and the other guitarists Mesa Boogie rocks! Still need to do a little tweaking but sounds way better. I also switched from the high input to the low input. Thus allowing the master volume to get up to about 7 and get that thick Marshall sound.:shred:

glpg80

√εvil
Reaction score
A JMP can do metal easily with a tubescreamer!

:squint:

The last JMP that i cranked all knobs to 10 on, it was still crystal clean. With a hot tonezone on top of that mind you.

I doubt a tubescreamer through a bone stock JMP will be anywhere near close to "metal"

Vintage blues yes, maybe even classic rock depending on the speakers, but that is a far cry from metal.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
yep it is fat sounding,but imho a bit compressed and not very natural...at least that's what i heard when i played:S

This was the problem i had with my HT20 at high volume. Loved the way it sounded at home, but once i really cranked it it did lack some of the organic feel of other tube amps. I'd assume the higher wattage HT amps would be a little better with this. Mind you i still liked that amp - very versatile at a great price, killer cleans too.

From playing the Series One stuff at the local music store, it seemed to really sing and love high volume (they put me in an isolation room with the amp when i was checking it out) but not too great for chug stuff at lower volumes. I would love to have a series one.

Zado

Reaction score
Finally hooked up the ART pedal at practice. It sounds awesome!!! The combination of my JMP and the other guitarists Mesa Boogie rocks! Still need to do a little tweaking but sounds way better. I also switched from the high input to the low input. Thus allowing the master volume to get up to about 7 and get that thick Marshall sound.:shred:
great man!Nothing can match a pissed of vintage jmp:shred:
This was the problem i had with my HT20 at high volume. Loved the way it sounded at home, but once i really cranked it it did lack some of the organic feel of other tube amps. I'd assume the higher wattage HT amps would be a little better with this. Mind you i still liked that amp - very versatile at a great price, killer cleans too.

From playing the Series One stuff at the local music store, it seemed to really sing and love high volume (they put me in an isolation room with the amp when i was checking it out) but not too great for chug stuff at lower volumes. I would love to have a series one.
Well I guess it's due to the solid state clipping path,which characterizes the HT series...the sound's not natural,but they are very good amps for the money,no doubt:metal:

As for the series one,i didn't like the 100w sincerely,It sounded very sterile and incomplete to me...the 104 are pretty good instead!:shred: though very expensive considering what rivals they have for the same price or less...

I'm curious to see the new blackfire 200w:scratch:

wakjob

Reaction score
:squint:

The last JMP that i cranked all knobs to 10 on, it was still crystal clean. With a hot tonezone on top of that mind you.

I doubt a tubescreamer through a bone stock JMP will be anywhere near close to "metal"

Vintage blues yes, maybe even classic rock depending on the speakers, but that is a far cry from metal.

Sounds like someone removed the bright cap... bad move IMO.

Zado

Reaction score
This is why I love Marshalls.

:yesway:
definitely agreed.And you can try as much as you want to get the same sound from tons of other brands,but It won't EVER be the same tasty tone.
Maybe tweaking with a splawn quickrod,a ceriatone,a metroamp,but there's no engl,mesa,peavey,whatever that can deal you DAT!

metaljohn

SS's Only Dick Butt
Reaction score

This guy can pull pretty metal tones out of a stock JMP with a tubescreamer.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
Agreed with the last couple of posters. There is no reason for someone not to be able to get great metal tones, hell, even exceptional ones, out of a JMP with a nice boost. In fact, I'll argue that it will sound better than many of the metal oriented heads coming out today.

HateTank

Reaction score
Spent some more time dialing in the ART pedal . Sounds great. I am having a dilemma on how to run my effects. There is no loop and my other guitarist doesn't think they will sound right running in the front of the amp. Other that get analog effects is there a better way to use the digital effects?

wakjob

Reaction score
How handy are you? The Metro amp FX loop is priced fair and easy to install. And again not really all that invasive and can be taken back out for resale value.

Other than that, I don't like any effect 'up front' except maybe a compressor, OD/EQ boost, or wah.

All delay, reverb, chorus, ect... needs a loop for my liking.

I've never tried a distortion pedal that had an FX loop built in. I don't even understand how that would work. Think AMT.

')